Turn on thread page Beta

Spain-11th march, US-11th sept, exactly 911 days between the two dates, coincidence? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Whether you like it or not, they're just another statistic and so are we. I don't re-call anything being brought up about the thousands of innocent civilians killed in Afghanistan.
    Well you wouldn't. Human nature being what it is will guarantee that westerners will feel considerably more sorrow that a hundred or so innocent fellow westerners are killed than they will on learning that ten thousand innocents have died in a place like Afghanistan.

Really, Afghanistan is too remote for the average Westerner to get too worked up about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Well you wouldn't. Human nature being what it is will guarantee that westerners will feel considerably more sorrow that a hundred or so innocent fellow westerners are killed than they will on learning that ten thousand innocents have died in a place like Afghanistan.

Really, Afghanistan is too remote for the average Westerner to get too worked up about.
    "Human nature"? From which perspective are we looking at this from? As i'm sure you know a liberal view of human nature is very different to an anarchist's view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    "Human nature"? From which perspective are we looking at this from? As i'm sure you know a liberal view of human nature is very different to an anarchist's view.
    Well, I don't want to get too complex about it but it's just a fact that most people aren't really that bothered about what happens in countries they can't even point to on a map.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I don't want to get too complex about it but it's just a fact that most people aren't really that bothered about what happens in countries they can't even point to on a map.
    We're talking about english people - not americans. I'd like to think that the general english public would be able to take an educated guess as to where Afghanistan is. I'd like to see how many americans can point to spain on a map - they can't even point to Great Britain and we're their best ally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    We're talking about english people - not americans. I'd like to think that the general english public would be able to take an educated guess as to where Afghanistan is. I'd like to see how many americans can point to spain on a map - they can't even point to Great Britain and we're there best ally.
    Yes, I know we are. The fact still remains that apart from enlightened students and the Islington dinner party set most people really couldn't give a toss about the fate of the average Afghan.

Have you ever been in a pub?

"Oh, wasn't it sad seeing a picture of that poor families home in ruins"?
    "Yeh terrible........anyway mine's a Heinekin"
    "Crisps"?
    "Fuc* it, why not!"

ReputationRep:
    and the Islington dinner party set
    I do love your no ******** approach to class issues, Howard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    We're talking about english people - not americans. I'd like to think that the general english public would be able to take an educated guess as to where Afghanistan is. I'd like to see how many americans can point to spain on a map - they can't even point to Great Britain and we're there best ally.
    I don't think this should be an issue of 'where' it happened...whoever they are, wherever they are from, they are all humans, why does sympathy for people have to change?

"Well, I don't want to get too complex about it but it's just a fact that most people aren't really that bothered about what happens in countries they can't even point to on a map."

A bit too generalized there, perhaps? I can't point out Bali on the map, or Iraq (I know my geography is terrible but...) that did not mean that I just didnt care about the people who died there and I am sure others feel that way too....

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever been in a pub?

"Oh, wasn't it sad seeing a picture of that poor families home in ruins"?
    "Yeh terrible........anyway mine's a Heinekin"
    "Crisps"?
    "Fuc* it, why not!"
    At work it annoys me somewhat when my boss look at the news on his laptop and then announces every 30 minutes the death counts. He does this every day with Israel, Iraq, Spain etc. It just annoys me how he looks at the news and then goes straight back to his work without a care.

The other day he jokingly (i think) said. "The news is getting boring we need another war"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    My birthday is 29th of November.
    29/11.
    I am 20 in two years.
    29 - 20 = 9
    =
    9/11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111one
    jjjeeeeeeeshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I've gone cold. my birthday is ALSO 29th November. Spooky. Or is it just a coincidence????????????????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I do love your no ******** approach to class issues, Howard.
    I'm a no BS type of guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    At work it annoys me somewhat when my boss look at the news on his laptop and then announces every 30 minutes the death counts. He does this every day with Israel, Iraq, Spain etc. It just annoys me how he looks at the news and then goes straight back to his work without a care.

The other day he jokingly (i think) said. "The news is getting boring we need another war"
    Who do you work for? My old man?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)

But, when you say "he goes straight back to his work without a care" and all joking aside, what do you expect him to do? Don a black armband, go cry in the bogs, join a march, seek councelling?

You see what I mean? It's too remote!

ReputationRep:
    Who do you work for? My old man?!
    I don't think you'd know him; seeing as you're in a completely different country. He's a right BS'er he declares how anti-monarchy he is and then he goes to meeet the Duke of Edinburgh when he could have gotten out of it. Not to mention he talks about things he doesn't understand. Although i can't be bothered to talk about it now - i have 2 days break and i intend to not think about work in them.

ReputationRep:
    But, when you say "he goes straight back to his work without a care" and all joking aside, what do you expect him to do? Don a black armband, go cry in the bogs, join a march, seek councelling?

You see what I mean? It's too remote!
    Yes, i do. I expect him to burst into tears and mourn for the lives that have been taken away. I expect him to mourn what civilisation has come to and how history is repeating itself and that the future looks bleak for all of us.

I just hate the way people can just sit around a table eating dinner and talk about murderers, rapists and wars as if it is was a football match.

ReputationRep:
    it wouldnt happen in warsaw because a person of a darker complexion over there would be more out of place than in spain = 911 days since 9/11 - it sent a shiver down my spine when i worked it out - v. scary and tells you that no matter what happens - no matter how hard we may try to fight terrorism the terrorists are one step ahead and have now become more sophisiticated by using remote-control detonators instead of suicide bombing = we are living in a dangerous world now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Yes, i do. I expect him to burst into tears and mourn for the lives that have been taken away. I expect him to mourn what civilisation has come to and how history is repeating itself and that the future looks bleak for all of us.

I just hate the way people can just sit around a table eating dinner and talk about murderers, rapists and wars as if it is was a football match.
    I think you're setting your expectations of Mr.Joe Average a little bit on the high side!

ReputationRep:
    I think you're setting your expectations of Mr.Joe Average a little bit on the high side!
    not Mr Joe Average - Mr Timothy Smugly Above Average

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)

And without seeming to cynical he's probably more worried about paying his mortgage, and busy planning his next vacation, to care very much about Afghanistan. Let's face it. Most people are.

And by the way, I don't think "the world looks bleak for us all" From my vantage point it looks bloody fuc*in marvelous! Cheer up! Not dead yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Where do you get it from?

Yeah they should, that 12 mins delay message is so annoying, and they have double trams on when they're needed.
    Usually Bowker Vale, you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgems89)
    Usually Bowker Vale, you?
    Amazing! Im' usually one or two stops down at Crumpsall or Woodlands Road. Are you Manchester bound or Bury bound?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.