The Student Room Group

Please Tell Me I'm Not The Only One Who Hates Kindles?!

I feel so alone in this new, Kindle/e-book loving world! Before Christmas my mum said she was planning on buying me a Kindle and when I gasped in horror she replied "I know you don't like them, but you'll grow to, I promise".

I think not!

I just think books are so much better and will never be out-shined by Kindles. The feel, smell, touch of a book can't be replaced and shouldn't be! I know I'm a minority in thinking this, but please, is there somebody out there who feels the same way?!

-----
This has been featured on the TSR New and now page - home of the top content on TSR
-----

Scroll to see replies

I have a kindle but I still believe you can't beat a physical book, it's not as if you're revolutionary in thinking so. However, there's no doubt that the Kindle offers many advantages in terms of convenience which books can't compete with. I can download a book now and read it within seconds of me deciding that I fancy it, I can carry hundreds of books around at once, I can often download books for much less than they'd cost in paper form, etc.

There are good and bad points to them, but to outright hate them is a bit short-sighted in my opinion.
I agree, though my aunt did buy me a kindle fire for uni. I will always prefer paper books but it does have its uses. As well as being able to use it for the internet, games etc. you can buy whole collections for about a pound. For example, I got the complete works of the Brontes, Fitzgerald, James Joyce and others for about a pound each which is useful, because it's convenient to be able to just browse through their entire oeuvre in one main book. I prefer it for poetry and short stories though since I don't really like reading whole books on there, but it's nice to have the option to just try things out. Plus, all the public domain stuff is free.

I think most ardent readers are loyal to proper books though, myself included. Barring some sort of environmental disaster, I highly doubt they will stop printing books in our lifetime! (Hopefully never.)
Reply 3
To be brutally honest I think if you really feel passionately about this issue, you need to get a life. Some people have Kindles. This is an acceptable lifestyle choice, but one that you don't have to follow if you don't want to. There really is nothing more to be said about the matter.
Reply 4
Original post by xelarose
I feel so alone in this new, Kindle/e-book loving world! Before Christmas my mum said she was planning on buying me a Kindle and when I gasped in horror she replied "I know you don't like them, but you'll grow to, I promise".

I think not!

I just think books are so much better and will never be out-shined by Kindles. The feel, smell, touch of a book can't be replaced and shouldn't be! I know I'm a minority in thinking this, but please, is there somebody out there who feels the same way?!

I have a Kindle that I use quite a lot.

I'm also willing to bet that I own more books than you, and more than likely always will.

It's not like you have to pick one or the other. If you truly love reading, especially a wide variety of things, then e-readers are incredibly convenient.
Books are great for when you're home and reading, but Kindles are meant to be portable. The point of a Kindle is that you're able to read all the books in your library at the click of a few buttons - no way can you bring a hundred books along with you on holiday/on the train.

So for what it's initial purpose was, the Kindle is great.
Reply 6
I think it's a bit weird to actually feel such strong emotions towards kindles. I mean, you could just buy a book.

I'll carry on using my kindle though. It's so much better to have a whole series of books at hand in one place rather than having to hunt all over the place for them. Plenty of books I'd never have been able to find in shops.
Reply 7
Original post by Bobifier
To be brutally honest I think if you really feel passionately about this issue, you need to get a life. Some people have Kindles. This is an acceptable lifestyle choice, but one that you don't have to follow if you don't want to. There really is nothing more to be said about the matter.

Ouch! Bit harsh no? Define "passionate" for me. Am I standing outside Waterstones with a placard in my hand screaming "death to Kindle"? No. I don't "really feel passionately" about this issue at all. I say hate in a loose term, like for example, I hate people who have the audacity and wrong sense to tell me I need to get a life for opening up a subject about Kindles vs Books, whilst they fail to actually see the underlying reason for this whole post. Your post made you look a little bit like an idiot, which is okay, because idiots can be loveable. Your post also made you look like an angry douche. Less forgiveable. Maybe if you feel so "passionate" about my view, you should reconsider your own life? Do that whilst I "get my own", okay?
I'm with you - never felt the need for a Kindle

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
I used to be appalled by them, until I got one. Now I love it.

My life is as follows:
- real books: university work
- Kindle: reading for fun

I used to love reading for fun, then ended up having that love killed by my degree as all I seem to do for it is read. Having a Kindle gave me a new association and now reading is once more an acceptable leisure activity.
Reply 10
Original post by Fuzzpig
I think it's a bit weird to actually feel such strong emotions towards kindles. I mean, you could just buy a book.

I'll carry on using my kindle though. It's so much better to have a whole series of books at hand in one place rather than having to hunt all over the place for them. Plenty of books I'd never have been able to find in shops.

:unimpressed: Is there anyone in this world that understands I wasn't being WHOLLY LITERAL when I said I hate Kindles?

ATTENTION EVERYONE:
I am currently not beating a Kindle to death. In other news, I'm sorry. I exaggerated, I don't actually "hate" Kindles, in the same sense as I would hate, say, murder, or discrimination or racism etc.
Reply 11
Original post by concubine
I have a Kindle that I use quite a lot.

I'm also willing to bet that I own more books than you, and more than likely always will.

It's not like you have to pick one or the other. If you truly love reading, especially a wide variety of things, then e-readers are incredibly convenient.

I like your confidence :tongue: why do you think this? Were you born in the British library or something?
I posted on here that the Kindle I received was faulty and started getting death threats. :lolwut:
I don't hate kindles, I would rather much have books in the flesh/pages (so I can sniff them :biggrin:).
Reply 14
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
I posted on here that the Kindle I received was faulty and started getting death threats. :lolwut:

:confused: That's frightening.

Basically, I've just been told to get a life. I haven't actually got a proper issue with Kindles, I was just opening up a debate about them vs books in the hopes that somebody could persuade me. There have been a lot of good arguments for them to be fair, it's just being overshadowed by people shouting "OH MY GOD LEAVE KINDLES ALONE" at me :s-smilie:
Reply 15

I think not!

Oh i agree with you!! I agree with you so so so much!! books are so much better, for loads of differnt reason. The main one being I find reading much more enjoyable when im reading off paper rather than a screen
(edited 11 years ago)
:confused: That's frightening.

Basically, I've just been told to get a life. I haven't actually got a proper issue with Kindles, I was just opening up a debate about them vs books in the hopes that somebody could persuade me. There have been a lot of good arguments for them to be fair, it's just being overshadowed by people shouting "OH MY GOD LEAVE KINDLES ALONE" at me :s-smilie:

That's the nature of TSR I'm afraid. A difference of opinion is reacted to like you've slapped them in the face. :console:
There used to be places where you could do that for free. I believe they were known as libraries. :moon:

(I have an eBook Reader myself because you kick off. :tongue:)
Reply 18
The feel, smell, touch of a book can't be replaced

Totally agree.

Also, there's something rather romantic about books as items... You can gift them, write a little message on the inside cover, admire the artwork of their covers, get them signed by authors... None of these are really possible when you swap a physical book for some bits of coding on an electronic device :redface:

And books just smell really nice.

But if I read lots more than I already do, I'd probably appreciate Kindles more!
Reply 19

I think not!

I hate Kindles too! However, as much as I hate to admit it and wouldn't want to own one, they do have their place...

They are good for: Reading in bed with a partner who wants to sleep, travelling anywhere for more than a week, saving a few trees and encouraging people to read more.

That being said, if I got one as a present it would go straight on ebay.

Latest

Trending

Trending