Some do. Some don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Some do. Some don't.
    but surely vegetarians eat NO meat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deary_ma_leary)
    but surely vegetarians eat NO meat?
    If you eat fish (and no other meat) you're not strictly vegetarian. You're a pescatarian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    If you eat fish (and no other meat) you're not strictly vegetarian. You're a pescatarian
    thank you!! im a vegetarian (as in i eat NO meat) and it really gets to me when people say that they're vegetarians and eat fish!! i was shopping with my mate and a friend of hers and me and the girl were both hungry and she said she'd buy me a sandwich. i said i wasnt bothered as long as it was vegetarian and she bought me a tuna sandwich!! what craziness!!

ReputationRep:
    thank you!! im a vegetarian (as in i eat NO meat) and it really gets to me when people say that they're vegetarians and eat fish!! i was shopping with my mate and a friend of hers and me and the girl were both hungry and she said she'd buy me a sandwich. i said i wasnt bothered as long as it was vegetarian and she bought me a tuna sandwich!! what craziness!!
    Heh, it makes especially little sense when you consider that fish probably have it worse off than most animals killed for food - being clumped together with thousands of other fish in a wire net, then left to suffocate is going to be a lot worse way to die than the experiences most farmyard animals go through.

ReputationRep:
    I agree totally. I don't see how someone can call themself a vegetarian and still eat a living fish which was killed for their sandwich.

But the definition of a vegetarian is someone who doesn't eat land animals.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm vegetarian and I dont eat fish!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Well I'm vegetarian and I dont eat fish!
    i dont get you vegitarians. if there was no demand for meat which is surely what you're gunning for, the animals that are bred for consumption would not be bred and so many animals would have no life at all, whereas in a meat eating society they would have had a fair, albeit brief life. what is your motive for not eating meat?

ReputationRep:
    Fair life?

I think not. I'd eat meat if mass market meat was produced in a humane way but it isnt so I wont, simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    i dont get you vegitarians. if there was no demand for meat which is surely what you're gunning for, the animals that are bred for consumption would not be bred and so many animals would have no life at all, whereas in a meat eating society they would have had a fair, albeit brief life. what is your motive for not eating meat?

me neither, they would not enjoy the freedoms that they have currently

ReputationRep:
    Vegetarians do not eat fish. If they do they are called pescarians.

ReputationRep:
    Fair life?

I think not. I'd eat meat if mass market meat was produced in a humane way but it isnt so I wont, simple as that.
    but some of it is and you are more likely hurting the famrers that produce it in a humane way as their costs are hugher and thereforethey need to shift more

ReputationRep:
    Fair life?

very well, you are campaining for better conditions for livestock. i would recommend that you support the farming industry by eating meat so that profit driving becomes unessecary. but i can understand either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    Many do not actually have a pleasant life though. And i don't actually like meat. Especially lamb - its chewy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramaya)
    Many do not actually have a pleasant life though. And i don't actually like meat. Especially lamb - its chewy.
    that is a reason i can identify with, its why i dont eat leeks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    but some of it is and you are more likely hurting the famrers that produce it in a humane way as their costs are hugher and thereforethey need to shift more
    I cant afford to buy ethically produced meat because it is so much more expensive its normally more than 3 times the price of supermarket meat student budget etc. I wont buy cheap supermarket meat out of principle. To some extent I do still support it - eg milk which I havent managed to give up yet.
    I only buy local farm eggs at home where the chickens have a decent life or supermarket freerange.

ReputationRep:
    I cant afford to buy ethically produced meat because it is so much more expensive its normally more than 3 times the price of supermarket meat student budget etc. I wont buy cheap supermarket meat out of principle. To some extent I do still support it - eg milk which I havent managed to give up yet.
    I only buy local farm eggs at home where the chickens have a decent life or supermarket freerange.
    Presumably that doesn't make you a "proper" vegetarian then - you haven't really made the decision to never eat meat in any circumstances, you've just decided not to eat meat produced under certain conditions, which has led to you being unable to eat over meat purely out of financial necessity.

May I say I really admire you for actually realising that not eating meat full stop doesn't always help animals in the long run. There are far too many silly overly idealistic vegetarians who would probably end up wiping out half the animals in Britain by accident if they had it their way, or who aren't even aware of the millions of animals that die each year producing the crops they eat.

ReputationRep:
    If i eat meat it would be fattening meat, which i really would rather not consume. Therefore it is much wiser for me to cut it all out providing i don't like it anyway. I'm not doing anything wrong exactly.

ReputationRep:
    im vegetarian, and i dont eat any animal flesh or meat! fish have feelings to, you know!!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.