Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    just a small pickle, if i was to install a computer tv card thing in my computer. would i have to pay for a tv licence?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MattG)
    just a small pickle, if i was to install a computer tv card thing in my computer. would i have to pay for a tv licence?
    In theory yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    You can get away with not paying because it can't be picked up, so no you wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately you do have to pay...we've had leaflets through the door many times reminding us about TV licences, and a TV card in your computer does count as a recieving device and you can still get caught and fined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    Unfortunately you do have to pay...we've had leaflets through the door many times reminding us about TV licences, and a TV card in your computer does count as a recieving device and you can still get caught and fined.
    but at uni are they that anal (eg checking your computer) for such devices. the are in built things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    but at uni are they that anal (eg checking your computer) for such devices. the are in built things
    if the tv license people come down, they will check your pc, but only if it is on (i think). anyway, you get plenty of warning when they come, enough so that you can buy a monthly TV license

ReputationRep:
    i got a letter saying that they were gonna check our halls, but they never did.
    If they do check ure computer just play ignorent, tell them it came with ure pc and you dont know what it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Actually that's no defence, but if you really want to you can get away with not paying them for absolutely ages even when they know you don't have a licence but should have.
    yeh, just put a tape of some food turning round and say its a microwave like off the advert - they fall for that one everytime

ReputationRep:
    couldn't i just remove the card and hide it when they come round? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    yeh, just put a tape of some food turning round and say its a microwave like off the advert - they fall for that one everytime
    Can I detect that you have done this.....?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    couldn't i just remove the card and hide it when they come round? lol
    yeh, you probably could lol

i found a site that has loads of channels from around the world which you can stream over the internet:

Stream TV Here

776 channels (most of them are rubbish), but they work a treat with the fast uni connection

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heather_1)
    Can I detect that you have done this.....?
    hehe, i don't have a tv at uni cuz we have one in our kitchen...

....but if i did, i would try it ..... maybe... ....not...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    yeh, you probably could lol

i found a site that has loads of channels from around the world which you can stream over the internet:

Stream TV Here

776 channels (most of them are rubbish), but they work a treat with the fast uni connection
    thank god for 1500Kbps, it actually looks like tv instead of that 256Kbps crap.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.