The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Rejection Query?

Hey guys.

EDIT: GOT MY OFFER:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It sounds like they may have made a mistake. When you call them say that you have written proof that if you fulfil certain criteria, (emphasise how you have), you will be guaranteed a spot. Sometimes they may overlook certain aspects of a persons application because they receieve hundreds from all over the country. I'd try not to worry until tomorrow. Do keep us updated! :smile:
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 2
THan you for that swift reply :P

I mean, i DID think this. Perhaps because of so many applications, they simply saw the first stage of the application like 'Grades achieved' and hit the decline, not knowing the circumstances. But then again, just seeing the 'unsuccessful' whilst i was out on my phone gave me a heart attack . i will get in touch tomorrow and keep posted on here
Reply 3
thanks for the reply.

There was no hidden clause or message, i will copy EXACTLY what email i recieved

'Dear Joshua,

If you apply for the MA in English and are attending the Summer School, you will receive a conditional offer in terms of the successful completion of the Summer School at CAS 12 or above (i.e. a grade of 12/20 CAS 9 is the pass mark) and would therefore be guaranteed a place in September provided you met the condition. The condition is the same for all degree programmes in the Arts and Social Sciences, whether Single or Joint Honours ones.

Regards'

Thank you again. I've got some bullet points made and will call tomorrow :smile: i am just hoping/praying it is a mistake by accident.
Reply 4
i'm already starting to feel a lot more relaxed. I was only worried because I thought these things would be very clinical. do mistakes like this occasionally happen?

thanks for everyone's input, I will keep you all updated.
I'm so glad i kept the emails from the uni!!
Original post by Josh Healey
THan you for that swift reply :P

I mean, i DID think this. Perhaps because of so many applications, they simply saw the first stage of the application like 'Grades achieved' and hit the decline, not knowing the circumstances. But then again, just seeing the 'unsuccessful' whilst i was out on my phone gave me a heart attack . i will get in touch tomorrow and keep posted on here

No problem :smile:

Exactly, thats the first thought that comes to mind when I read your post. I think thats most likely what had happened.

When did you send your application off? January 15th?

Yeah I'd have a heart attack too lol! :biggrin: Especially if its the only university I applied to xD Don't worry about it ;D i'm pretty certain that they made a mistake :smile:
i'm already starting to feel a lot more relaxed. I was only worried because I thought these things would be very clinical. do mistakes like this occasionally happen?

thanks for everyone's input, I will keep you all updated.
I'm so glad i kept the emails from the uni!!

Yup, especially if its a popular university like Aberdeen.
Reply 7
Original post by TheStudent.
No problem :smile:

Exactly, thats the first thought that comes to mind when I read your post. I think thats most likely what had happened.

When did you send your application off? January 15th?

Yeah I'd have a heart attack too lol! :biggrin: Especially if its the only university I applied to xD Don't worry about it ;D i'm pretty certain that they made a mistake :smile:

Again, I'l speak to them in the morning, and hopefully clear it all up, and maybe see a new track that is a conditional. I sent it off before the deadline, about the 7th of Janurary I think, as an individual I was waiting on my reference.

I mean worst case is it sticks......but hopefully I was just a number and a name and they over looked this summer school/email confirmation !! thanks again
Again, I'l speak to them in the morning, and hopefully clear it all up, and maybe see a new track that is a conditional. I sent it off before the deadline, about the 7th of Janurary I think, as an individual I was waiting on my reference.

I mean worst case is it sticks......but hopefully I was just a number and a name and they over looked this summer school/email confirmation !! thanks again

Yup early rejection, so it seems like they rejected you because you didn't meet their entry requirements - meaning they didn't check that you attended the summer school :tongue: One of those "instant rejections" type thing.

No problem. I hope it works out for you.
Reply 9
Couple of points

1) Any correspondence between you and the university admissions officer cannot regard the conditions for offer.

2) If what you say is true, it still doesn't imply that they gave or guaranteed you a conditional offer which involved going to summer school
i.e., "If you get CAS 12 or above in summer school, then you will receive an unconditional offer with the University." does not imply that you will get a conditional offer to go to summer school.

I'm inclined to think that while they probably should have shut down the correspondence as soon as they realised that you were asking for conditions of an offer, they never actually said that you would be given the stated conditional offer that involved sitting summer school.
Reply 10
Original post by Zedd
Couple of points

1) Any correspondence between you and the university admissions officer cannot regard the conditions for offer.

2) If what you say is true, it still doesn't imply that they gave or guaranteed you a conditional offer which involved going to summer school
i.e., "If you get CAS 12 or above in summer school, then you will receive an unconditional offer with the University." does not imply that you will get a conditional offer to go to summer school.

I'm inclined to think that while they probably should have shut down the correspondence as soon as they realised that you were asking for conditions of an offer, they never actually said that you would be given the stated conditional offer that involved sitting summer school.

Thansk Zed. I am going to call them this morning, but after we exchanged these emails, the Summer School confirmed what he said on the phone, and told me I wold be legible for admitance into summer school and sent me the paperwork to fill out saying, complete UCAS first saying you will be attending the summer school, then send off your Summer School paperwork.

And what i am saying is true ha, why would i lie!!
Reply 11
I have been speaking with the admissions and summer school, we are all currently trying to co-ordinate with eachother. it LOOKS like this will be okay. I mean worst case it will stick the decision as it is. But at the moment i have spoken and emailed with various people and it SEEMS it may get resolved :smile:
Reply 12
Crossed fingers for you.
Reply 13
Original post by Crumpet1
Crossed fingers for you.

Thank you so much. Me too. Me too
i had that unconditional (all i had to do was prove i attended the summer school) but be aware they wont let you start till you have your results, which meant i missed the first 2 weeks of uni (but the did let me attend freashers week)
Reply 15
Original post by rattusratus
i had that unconditional (all i had to do was prove i attended the summer school) but be aware they wont let you start till you have your results, which meant i missed the first 2 weeks of uni (but the did let me attend freashers week)

Im sooooo nervous now :frown: I'm an access student just started this month and will be doing the summer school too! I've applied for mech engineering at aberdeen... I was told that they take on every summer school/access student if they pass their courses so wtf has happened to this dude?
Original post by derek1
Im sooooo nervous now :frown: I'm an access student just started this month and will be doing the summer school too! I've applied for mech engineering at aberdeen... I was told that they take on every summer school/access student if they pass their courses so wtf has happened to this dude?

:confused:
Reply 17
Original post by rattusratus
:confused:

What lol?

I'm worried if this person has been rejected and would have been a summer school pupil then I might get rejected as I am doing the same? get me now ?
Original post by derek1
What lol?

I'm worried if this person has been rejected and would have been a summer school pupil then I might get rejected as I am doing the same? get me now ?

oh ok, just wondered why you quoted me lol

it will of been a mistake, however get your offer in writing, either email or letter - then they cant argue it later, if you only have a verbal agreement then they could forget or argue the wrong person offered you it etc...
Reply 19
Original post by derek1
What lol?

Dereck hi there.

What has happened with me, is my UCAS applicaton has been processed before my Summer school application. It is all being srorted as we speak.

I said I will be attending, and my Summer school application hasn't yet been fully processed. So the admissions just saw the grades section, my name hadn't bee flagged as a summer school guy, and it was a rejection by normal means.

do not worry my friend, you are in a safe place compared to me. you will be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending