Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Argh, my computer just told me I have a virus. What do I do??? Eek I'm so crap at this sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know the name of the virus? What are your symptoms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Do you know the name of the virus? What are your symptoms?
    It just has the name of the file which is infected and says it's been quarantined :confused: . Should I disconnect from the university network??

ReputationRep:
    No what is the naem of the file and what anti virus software do you have

ReputationRep:
    If you disconnect from the university network you won't be able to access the internet will you? Leave it on who cares if you infect the rest of the computers on the network - it's not your problem to solve.

So what did you use to tell you that you had an infected file?
    If you don't have a virus scanner go to http://www.symantec.com and do a free online virus scan.

ReputationRep:
    yes and contact your iT people from someone elses computer and they will tell you how to get rid of it.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is it's the last day of term so the IT people aren't in. I'm using Norton. Can't tell the name of the virus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Thing is it's the last day of term so the IT people aren't in. I'm using Norton. Can't tell the name of the virus.
    i dont tghink you should be worried, because norton wont even let you access it (if you try to doubleclick it, norton will say dont go there girlfriend!) i think you can safely delete the file. or if you want you can send it to me and i'll do a sophos analyisis on it.

ReputationRep:
    Do an online virus scan at http://www.symantec.com that should tell you what virus you have.

What symptoms do you have? Do ctrl+alt+del go to task manager and then the processes tab and list your processes you have running.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.