Thingymajig
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello there
I am in Year 10 and have applied to about 50 places for work experience (No joke). I have applied at web designers, graphic designers, photographers, radio stations, newspapers and a school. I have applied to huge brands, self-employed/free-lancers and your typical 4-man buisness, etc.
I have always emailed the buisness because I find it hard over the phone and think it is less hassle. I pasted my work exp application (bottom of thread) that I have been sending to the businesses. What am I doing wrong? :confused: (Depending on where I am applying, I change my interests slightly).
I would really, really want to work in graphic design, web design, photography, radio or a buisness like marketing, advertising, sign making, etc. ~When I am older I want to set up my own buisness and think that graphic & web design, marketing(etc) would be really interesting and useful.
A lot of people that I have applied to say that they do not have the facilities, time or health&safety and there are some that don't reply!
I live in Leeds which is a huge city and full of businesses so I must be doing something despairingly wrong!

Where did you do work experience? What was it like? Any tips?

I also have quite a large radius. I would be willing to travel to the following places: Ilkley, Burley & Wharfedale, Otley, Menston, Guiseley, Yeadon, Rawdon, Horsforth, Kirkstall, Leeds City Centre, Leeds City Outskirts, Greengates, Foster Square (Bradford), Armley and Wortley.
I have it all planned. I have my bike, there are trains that go into Ilkley and Leeds CC, buses that go into Bradford and Otley and my mother works in Wortley.

P.S. I know that it is possible, I know someone that got into engineering for their work experience and someone else that got into architecture.
Tonight I am going to apply at the Bradford Media Museum, the NHS, two schools and a nearby Equestrian Centre. The NHS does not really excite me and I have already done work in Equestrian.
But anyway, if I do not get anywhere after I think I might start applying at McDonalds, which would be soo boring and it'll smell.

My Work Experience Application (some personal details have been removed).
-insert
address
here-

-insert email here-
Tel: ***********

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am writing to enquire about the possibility of completing my work experience at –company name-.
I am 15 and attend –insert school here-- and I am in Year 10.
I am studying Art & Design, Extra Sciences, Geography, German, Religious Studies and Product Design Technology as well as Core subjects.
My experience includes:
· Sports Leadership Course which is a nationally recognised award and will later provide opportunities to volunteer as a Sports Leader.
· Equestrian – I have helped out at a private livery yard which was strict and hardworking. I have also helped at a public stables.
I am responsible, (I often look after my 5 year old sister), mature, helpful and conscientious.
In my free time I like to listen to music, be with my friends, watch comedy, horse ride and do art.
I would be most grateful if you could offer me a work experience placement from Monday 1st July to Friday 12th July. I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,
-my name here-

*Please note that an employer must have Employers’ Liability Insurance before a placement can be made.

Thank you for reading xoxoxox
legalwannabe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This is specifically a law section on TSR, but I can try to offer some advice from my own experiences of hunting down work experience.

I think the first thing you need to do is make your letter more specific to the firm you are sending it to. HR can spot blanket letters a mile off, so it would be better to send of 5-10 specific letters than 50 general ones. Why are you interested in that area of work, and why that firm specifically? What specific experiences do you have that are relevant to them/what they do. It might also be worth asking a teacher or somone at the liveryif they can write you a reference to back up what you've said about being responsible etc, which you can then include.

Also, now is the time to capitalise on people you know. Does some distant relation have a friend who works in the area you want to get into? Get in touch with them! It can't get to ask.

I hope this helps!
Best of luck, and let us know how you get on.
ed-
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Thingymajig)
-insert email here-
Tel: ***********[/RIGHT]

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am writing to enquire about the possibility of completing my work experience at –company name-.
I am studying Art & Design, Extra Sciences, Geography, German, Religious Studies and Product Design Technology as well as Core subjects.
My experience includes:
· Sports Leadership Course which is a nationally recognised award and will later provide opportunities to volunteer as a Sports Leader.
· Equestrian – I have helped out at a private livery yard which was strict and hardworking. I have also helped at a public stables.
I am responsible, (I often look after my 5 year old sister), mature, helpful and conscientious.
In my free time I like to listen to music, be with my friends, watch comedy, horse ride and do art.
I would be most grateful if you could offer me a work experience placement from Monday 1st July to Friday 12th July. I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,
-my name here-

*Please note that an employer must have Employers’ Liability Insurance before a placement can be made.
Start it with 'To whom it may concern'. It's more formal.
You start sentences with 'I' too many times.
Miss out the bit at the end about the Employers' Liability Insurance. Guaranteed to put employers off. Sort out the technicalities later.
Before you go into previous experience, state why you wish to undertake this experience. Say something about the career you want to follow and why. Say that you wish to experience that career first hand and that a week's work experience will help you to enter said career.
When you do state your experience state what you gained from it, don't just make lists. This will make employers think you'll add something to the company for a week rather than being an inconvenience.

When I applied to my last placement I said something like, 'I appreciate you may only offer places to graduates however I can provide a reference from a previous placement detailing the various work I was set. This included...'. And then listed some work I was given to show I wouldn't be a burden.
Because some firms have policies of only giving placements to grads.

Get a tutor to check it over when you're done.
Thingymajig
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thank you so much! I never really thought of being more specific, our teacher just said that they live busy lives so keep it short. I was trying harder to keep it short and less than a page. And yes I won't put that on the bottom.

awf3r
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
qaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
awf3r
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
:mad:QRFW34YQIOYIO;
awf3r
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Name:  eric andre brutally murdering hanibal.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  66.4 KBName:  don  cheadl.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  9.1 KB
awf3r
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Spoiler:
Show
Name:  rootin tootin vladmir pootin.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  47.0 KB
awf3r
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by awf3r)
Spoiler:
Show
Name:  rootin tootin vladmir pootin.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  47.0 KB
AWFUP
awf3r
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
www.twitch.tv/yoo
Splodganessa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It all looks good to me. May be worth knowing a little bit about the company/ business your applying to do it’s more personalised and not so generic, tell them that you are really impressed by what you’ve read about them. Also the dates are a little bit pushy, not all businesses know if they will have the time and energy when you want it.
Apart from that. Good luck.

(Original post by Thingymajig)
Hello there
I am in Year 10 and have applied to about 50 places for work experience (No joke). I have applied at web designers, graphic designers, photographers, radio stations, newspapers and a school. I have applied to huge brands, self-employed/free-lancers and your typical 4-man buisness, etc.
I have always emailed the buisness because I find it hard over the phone and think it is less hassle. I pasted my work exp application (bottom of thread) that I have been sending to the businesses. What am I doing wrong? :confused: (Depending on where I am applying, I change my interests slightly).
I would really, really want to work in graphic design, web design, photography, radio or a buisness like marketing, advertising, sign making, etc. ~When I am older I want to set up my own buisness and think that graphic & web design, marketing(etc) would be really interesting and useful.
A lot of people that I have applied to say that they do not have the facilities, time or health&safety and there are some that don't reply!
I live in Leeds which is a huge city and full of businesses so I must be doing something despairingly wrong!

Where did you do work experience? What was it like? Any tips?

I also have quite a large radius. I would be willing to travel to the following places: Ilkley, Burley & Wharfedale, Otley, Menston, Guiseley, Yeadon, Rawdon, Horsforth, Kirkstall, Leeds City Centre, Leeds City Outskirts, Greengates, Foster Square (Bradford), Armley and Wortley.
I have it all planned. I have my bike, there are trains that go into Ilkley and Leeds CC, buses that go into Bradford and Otley and my mother works in Wortley.

P.S. I know that it is possible, I know someone that got into engineering for their work experience and someone else that got into architecture.
Tonight I am going to apply at the Bradford Media Museum, the NHS, two schools and a nearby Equestrian Centre. The NHS does not really excite me and I have already done work in Equestrian.
But anyway, if I do not get anywhere after I think I might start applying at McDonalds, which would be soo boring and it'll smell.

My Work Experience Application (some personal details have been removed).
-insert
address
here-

-insert email here-
Tel: ***********

Dear Sir/Madam,
My experience includes:

Yours faithfully,
-my name here-

Thank you for reading xoxoxox
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (353)
46.26%
No (81)
10.62%
I'm not old enough (329)
43.12%

Watched Threads