Turn on thread page Beta

Kazaa/other file sharing at uni. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I was just wondering if anybody was using file sharing utilities at university, for legal purposes of course.
    For example Kazaa.
    Manchester university would be the prefered choice, but you may be able to help from others.
    I was up till recently happily using Kazaa having changed some port to 79 and now it has stopped working, any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Hi,
    I was just wondering if anybody was using file sharing utilities at university, for legal purposes of course.
    For example Kazaa.
    Manchester university would be the prefered choice, but you may be able to help from others.
    I was up till recently happily using Kazaa having changed some port to 79 and now it has stopped working, any ideas?
    Hmm sources tell me Manchester is totally untapped in terms of ports/firewalls, what accom are you living in?

Also, you can use something called a webtunnel at the cost of decreased speeds.

Google it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petrozzi)
    Hmm sources tell me Manchester is totally untapped in terms of ports/firewalls, what accom are you living in?
    What do you mean?
    And im in richmond park.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    What do you mean?
    And im in richmond park.
    I know a dude at Richmond, I'll speak try and get hold of him later and see if it's affecting others etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petrozzi)
    I know a dude at Richmond, I'll speak try and get hold of him later and see if it's affecting others etc.
    Thanks mate.

ReputationRep:
    hey,when i was in manchester, i asked my mate the same question (lives in Flat 1 in Richmond Park) and he said that the uni has blocked out the ports so as to stop downloading

i think he uses WinMX now because the uni hasnt blocked that

im not 100% sure though, so he might have been wrong, but thats what he told me

ReputationRep:
    Our network stops Kazaa from working, but there are quite a few of us with iTunes so we can at least listen to other peoples music even if we can't copy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alocin)
    Our network stops Kazaa from working, but there are quite a few of us with iTunes so we can at least listen to other peoples music even if we can't copy it.
    same here, you can copy other peoples music wiht it if you download a program called "my tunes", it runs alongside iTunes its very handy

and very fast as the network runs at 10Mb/Sec

ReputationRep:
    exeter have completly blocked all file sharing.

the only exeption is internal sharing within the campus using sharescan or something. with 14000 students, you can usually find what you want

ReputationRep:
    Loughborough use DirectConnect++ which is the best file sharing software about, period.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool uni tried to block kazaa a while ago, most ppl moved to ares or DC++(but u need to share alot) or just change ure port settings in kazaa to 443 in the incoming port settings in the options menu.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    same here, you can copy other peoples music wiht it if you download a program called "my tunes", it runs alongside iTunes its very handy

and very fast as the network runs at 10Mb/Sec
    You can? *eyes light up* Where can you download my tunes from? Anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    Oxfod banned all the main file share sites, and if you're caught acessing them, you can be booted out of Uni.

I've heard most Unis offer a similar policy....

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool uni have no restirctions whats so ever
    10mb line, can get very nice download speeds

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking for my tunes but can't seem to find it... Some poeple on the network have albums I would love to be able to "borrow"!

ReputationRep:
    OMG! itunes rules. cant believe Ive waited this long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    OMG! itunes rules. cant believe Ive waited this long.
    lol, i might have to resort to that soon!

i just can't get kazaa or alternitive to work over the exeter uni resnet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    lol, i might have to resort to that soon!

i just can't get kazaa or alternitive to work over the exeter uni resnet
    I just had to resort to it and its really quite useful.

ReputationRep:
    iTunes is wonderful, its best if you can get as many people on your network to download it as possible so that there is more chance of someone having it open who has music you like!

PS: Still searching for my tunes...

ReputationRep:
    Kazza, imesh, morpheus are all CRAP....sooo much spyware, kills your computer eventually. If you do have to get them, get AD-AWARE6, which gets rid of (most) of the rubbish.

Do what i do, pay about £15 for 30 months membership to download-doctor.com. No spyware, No pop-ups, virus scannning, unlimited downloads, etc. Just like Napster used to be in the 'good old days'

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.