The Student Room Group

Suggest me some good books!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
My favourite books at the moment:

Room by Emma Donoghue
Nineteen Minutes by Jodie Picoult
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Looking for Alaska by John Green (I preferred this to Fault in our Stars, but if you enjoyed that one, you'll probably enjoy this as well).
Reply 21
Original post by CT1402
Never let me go - Kazuo Ishiguro

Ooh, this looks really good. Thanks :smile:

Original post by laylarose
Anything by Jodi Picoult :P

I recommend Keeping Faith or Harvesting The Heart, both by her :biggrin:

I've read all of her books! If you've not read it, I think Nineteen Minutes is her best. :smile:

Original post by Jerry
If you're into Vampires read the following two books even if you're not into them i suggest you should read at least one to see how they are >>>
1. Vampire Diaries, The awakening and the struggle BY L J. Smith ( there are many of these books you should read them in order)
2. Twilight BY Stephenie Meyer (there are at least four books of these again you must read them in order, I've read these they're really good if you like the movies and stuff)

Other books i would suggest>>>

1. A child called it BY Dave Pelzer (an emotional book about child abuse it's also a true story... you have to read these in order too i think there are at least two or three of these)

2. The night strangers BY chris bohjalian

3. Sarah's key BY tatiana de rosnay

4. The boy in the striped pyjamas BY john boyne

5. Love and other impossible pursuits BY ayelet waldman

6. Never let me go BY kazuo ishiguro

7. Veronika decides to die BY paulo coelho

8. The chocolate lovers club BY carole matthews

9. Nurses Nikki's New World BY bette paul

10. My sister's keeper BY jodi picoult

Hope this helps!! xxx

Thanks! I've read the Twilight books but none of the others. :smile:

Original post by Hal.E.Lujah

You've read some good books!

- You might enjoy breaking into Terry Pratchett for some comedy.
- Along the philosophical lines of some of the above, Gullivers Travels :h:
- In the love story tone, Atonement is fantastic!

There's so many books out there, hard to say what one will be right for you to be honest. The above are just some of my favourites.

I didn't realise Atonement was a book, I've been meaning to see the film but I'll probably read it instead. Thanks :smile:

I saw this a few weeks ago and thought it looked good! Will try it, thanks :smile:

Original post by Angury
My favourite books at the moment:

Room by Emma Donoghue
Nineteen Minutes by Jodie Picoult
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Looking for Alaska by John Green (I preferred this to Fault in our Stars, but if you enjoyed that one, you'll probably enjoy this as well).

Read all of them, they're all really good suggestions thanks! (Nineteen Minutes is Picoult's best IMO) :smile:

Original post by Booyah
Train Spotting by Irvine Welsh, was an awesome book.
Currently reading Skagboys :smile:

I previewed it on Amazon, the way it's written makes it really hard to read! But thank you for the suggestion :smile:

Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far :smile:
Original post by Jerry
If you're into Vampires read the following two books even if you're not into them i suggest you should read at least one to see how they are >>>
1. Vampire Diaries, The awakening and the struggle BY L J. Smith ( there are many of these books you should read them in order)
2. Twilight BY Stephenie Meyer (there are at least four books of these again you must read them in order, I've read these they're really good if you like the movies and stuff)

Other books i would suggest>>>

1. A child called it BY Dave Pelzer (an emotional book about child abuse it's also a true story... you have to read these in order too i think there are at least two or three of these)

2. The night strangers BY chris bohjalian

3. Sarah's key BY tatiana de rosnay

4. The boy in the striped pyjamas BY john boyne

5. Love and other impossible pursuits BY ayelet waldman

6. Never let me go BY kazuo ishiguro

7. Veronika decides to die BY paulo coelho

8. The chocolate lovers club BY carole matthews

9. Nurses Nikki's New World BY bette paul

10. My sister's keeper BY jodi picoult

Hope this helps!! xxx

There is one book worth reading on this list (Never Let Me Go).

The person who made it is either a 12 year old girl (if so then fine, keep reading these books that are aimed at you/require that reading age) or someone who knows nothing about literature.

A Child Called It was just very badly written misery lit for fat single mothers with too much time on their hands!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Fermat's Last Theorem, only actual think I can bother reading :P
Lord of the Flies is for you if you enjoyed Life of Pi. The Catcher in the Rye was a good read, currently on Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy which is pretty good so far. They are more teen/child books- but I did enjoy the Hunger Games and the Percy Jackson series and the Anthony Horowitz Power of Five- these five books have to be my favourite ever and are defiantly worth checking out.

If you like a lightheated/girly read- Sophie Kinsella is excellent, not just her Shopohollic books, but her others too and the ones she has written under Madeline Winkleman.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2579442

Could any of you help with my thread...it's about Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

Thanking You In Advance :'O!
You should definitely read the Percy Jackson series, it's great!
I loved The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, and Sisters by Danielle Steel was pretty good! Currently reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon which is really good too! :biggrin:
Reply 28
I'm a huge studio Ghibli fan - especially Spirited away - can anyone recommend me any books like Spirited away? I can't seem to find anything like it as a novel.

Also OP, I recommend:
The man in the high castle
The curious case of the dog in the night garden

Both are fantastic reads.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending