The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I didn't know that girl gamers exist, doesn't matter since they play all the generic games like Fifa or Blacks Ops.
Original post by Tabzqt
I'm fine with girl gamers as long as they don't constantly bring up their gender. Unfortunately, that's what most of them do.

"hai guiz, im le gurl gamer and I play halo, do u love me yet? xD hehe"

Die.

:rofl: so true!
Original post by Vibenation
I didn't know that girl gamers exist, doesn't matter since they play all the generic games like Fifa or Blacks Ops.

The majority play the generic games but not all do
They're just gamers to me :smile: gaming is not specfically allowed to only be enjoyed by one gender, it's just that in general more guys seem to like it, that's all.
Reply 104
I wouldn't really care, a loss is a loss, plus I don't even like football so I don't see why I'd be playing a game like fifa :tongue: . Although I have to say, girl gamers and the attention-whoring that a lot of them do is(are) really really annoying.
(edited 11 years ago)
I play xbox a lot, I haven't found a single guy so far who finds that cool. I mainly just get pitying looks.
I will admit though, if I know a girl is faster than me on Gran Turismo 5 for instance, then I will be fuming. I'm quick on it, but there is a girl who is faster than me, but we're friends so it doesn't annoy me too much.

Particularly the usernames like xoLauraxo
Original post by ~Beckie
The online fanbase of games like Fifa and CoD seem to be the ones (at least in my experiance) who predominantly come out with these responses, probably because they're mostly 12. It's sad to be honest. But it isn't really a problem for me since I think both of those games are crap anyway, so I don't play them! :tongue: Guys I've met on games like GW2 have been completely fine with me being female though. Interesting contrast.

As well as the increasingly repetitive nature of the COD games, its fanbase is also a key factor to how I avoid those games. There hasn't been a day gone by when someone hasn't warbled down the headset "you stole my kill, fag (in either a Southern US or brummie accent)" or placed the headset right next to their earphones and played some sort of rap song with unnecessarily explicit lyrics.

With female gamers, I just approach them as equals (the theory of females being not as good at games as males is pure rubbish really), although I can't help but feel a sense of relief whenever competing with or against a female, mainly because in most cases there's a low probability of receiving a weeks worth of messages telling me how they will find out where I live and shove a machete up my arse. And generally they come across as friendly really, even in competitive situations.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 108
Original post by philistine
No, it isn't. You should get yourself checked for mental incontinence for that remark.

Mental incontinence... Well you made me laugh, I'll give you that. You must find gaming utterly repugnant.

Just keep waving that red flag.

I can't help who I am.

So say the attention whores.

You must've had a lot of experience with attention whores. It's a shame that they give serious gamers a bad name.

I respectfully disagree.

Well, after insinuating that I'm "mentally incontinent" and an "attention whore", at least this bit was respectful. Thanks!
Reply 109
Original post by Tabzqt
I'm fine with girl gamers as long as they don't constantly bring up their gender. Unfortunately, that's what most of them do.

"hai guiz, im le gurl gamer and I play halo, do u love me yet? xD hehe"

Die.

I agree 100%

Most girl gamers are similar to those who claim they're 'bi' just to get male attention. I think the girls who actually enjoy playing games for the sake of playing games (and not to get all the geeks fawning over them) are a minority.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Lizzie232
The title asks the question really, I'm a girl who enjoys a game of Fifa now and then, and often end up beating friends by quite a margin (10-0 the last one I think, still waiting on the moonpig apology card).
What I was wondering is how people (mainly guys) would think about this, whether guys would feel embarrassed if they were beaten by a girl or whether they would be happy they could play with one? And would it make it more or less likely they would want a relationship or indifferent? Thanks :smile:

Guys who get embarrassed when they're beaten by someone better than them are either n00bs, or try-hards. Either way, I'd infinitely prefer a girl gamer over a girl who 'doesn't get it', especially if she can frag like a badass :biggrin:

edit: One caveat though, I'll admit I get kinda annoyed by someone who says they game, and yet the most complex thing they've tried is bloody Tiny Towers on their iPhone. It's like saying you're a good cook when all you can do it microwave ready meals and defrost some peas.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Iqbal007
Well what about them.........they can be just as good or better then guys.
According to some research at the end of 2013 they expect there to be more female gamers then male gamers for the first time.

I'd like to see the stats backing up that statement, I have a niggle that it'll just be based off of sales figures, instead of hours played per week.

A girl who gets Temple Run for their iPhone =/= a guy who plays 3/4 DotA 2 matches a day
Reply 112
They're really bloody annoying.

Especially girls like the OP. "I play Fifa heehee I totally did not make this post to try and impress guys xxx", same as 90% of the girls in this thread.

If you go on about it and make a point of being a "girl gamer", like "i play this omg who cares what people think i love GENERIC POPULAR GAMES GIRLS THINK GUYS LOVE" then you ain't a gamer.
Original post by F Ellen
Mental incontinence... Well you made me laugh, I'll give you that. You must find gaming utterly repugnant.

I can't help who I am.

You must've had a lot of experience with attention whores. It's a shame that they give serious gamers a bad name.

Well, after insinuating that I'm "mentally incontinent" and an "attention whore", at least this bit was respectful. Thanks!

I have to admire your sportsmanship. What do you say to a game of Bubble Bobble and a bottle of Viognier?
Reply 114
Original post by philistine
I have to admire your sportsmanship. What do you say to a game of Bubble Bobble and a bottle of Viognier?

Only if I can be Bob!
Reply 115
I'll fight with full power whether it's a girl or guy!
Original post by F Ellen
Only if I can be Bob!

There's only one way to settle such a lofty decision... Tetris sudden death.
well I like gamers and I like girls so :tongue:

if you want a good way of getting me to like you, playing video games definitely is a good start, at last count I owned over 150 games...:colondollar:
Original post by Architecture-er
I'd like to see the stats backing up that statement, I have a niggle that it'll just be based off of sales figures, instead of hours played per week.

A girl who gets Temple Run for their iPhone =/= a guy who plays 3/4 DotA 2 matches a day

I think they did include phone gaming as well, hence the increase.........
How is it cute or sexy to tell guys you play COD or Fifa? (I won't pass judgement on the games themselves but I dislike them)
Also, what kind of grown person says 'hehe', urgh.

I started playing games because I was really bored and down one summer. My first one was LA Noire, I got completely hooked, and then got Deus Ex, Skyrim and Dishonored. Unfortunately I turned into a bit of a Skyrim nerd and I'm still playing it now.

They're something I do in my alone time, or to relax if I've had a stressful day. I don't like playing when anyone else is around.

Latest