Whatthe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi guys,

I was just wondering what how you think the UK universities stand up to the US ones in terms of prestige in their own countries and globally as a whole. The universities I have applied to are as follows, and I would appreciate it if you could put in your opinion and add to the fray. (My list is in the order of my relatively uninformed opinion).

Oxford
UPenn
Dartmouth
LSE
Brown
UCL
Berkeley
Duke
Cornell
Vanderbilt
Durham

What do you guys think? Roughly correct or way out? The primary question I am interested in is UCL/LSE (because I have offers) vs the Ivy Leagues (waiting on). I am interested in studying law after my undergraduate course in either the USA or the UK, which would stand me in better stead? UCL or UPenn? LSE or Brown etc?

Although I've been rejected from Oxford, I'm still interested: Oxbridge or the Ivy Leagues (exc HYP). Specifically, is Oxford or UPenn more prestigious in the world as a whole?

Thanks everyone.
Viceroy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd pop Cornell higher up on the list, but otherwise leave it alone
Keify
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oxford
Duke
UCL
UPenn
LSE
Cornell
Brown
Dartmouth
Berkeley

Vanderbilt
Durham
madamemerle
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oxford
UPenn
Berkeley
Cornell
UCL
Duke
Brown
LSE
Dartmouth
Vanderbilt
Durham

benq
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oxford
UPenn
LSE
Duke
Berkeley
Dartmouth
Cornell
UCL
Brown
Vanderbilt
Durham

About Oxbridge vs Ivies:

HYP>>>>>>Penn=Columbia=Oxbridge> Cornell=Dartmouth=Brown
marcus2001
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by benq)
Oxford
UPenn
LSE
Duke
Berkeley
Dartmouth
Cornell
UCL
Brown
Vanderbilt
Durham

About Oxbridge vs Ivies:

HYP>>>>>>Penn=Columbia=Oxbridge
>Cornell=Dartmouth=Brown
lolwut?
benq
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by marcus2001)
lolwut?
Yes?
marcus2001
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by benq)
Yes?
So what you're saying in this post is that Princeton is far far superior to Cambridge for example?

Keify
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by benq)
Yes?
No way.

Cambridge > Harvard > Princeton > Oxford > Yale > Columbia > rest of ivies.
a.partridge
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
all >> of >= these << statements > are essentially meaningless > the >>> levels >= of = oversimplification < are >> absurd.
Felix Felicis
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oxbridge >> undergrad HYPSM >> Postgrad /thread
NaaderBajwa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It depends which college within Penn you're talking about. Wharton (especially undergrad) is probably among the most prestigious, but CAS probably isn't. Sure, it's still very highly regarded, but probably less so than LSE (worldwide).
benq
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by marcus2001)
So what you're saying in this post is that Princeton is far far superior to Cambridge for example?
Maybe not far far but in terms of prestige yes, definitely. In terms of wealth as well (which means the better faculty and resources). In terms of powerful alumni too. So yes, superior, but to what extent is hard to judge. However I am not saying that Cambridge is a bad university obviously. It is in top 5 worldwide definitely, but just because it is so old and famous doesn't make it the best.

(Original post by Keify)
No way.

Cambridge > Harvard > Princeton > Oxford > Yale > Columbia > rest of ivies.
Harvard blows Cambridge in every possible way but engeneering kind of stuff where MIT, CalTech and Stanford rule the world. Yale kills Oxford in all humanities and law...But again I don't mean anything bad about Oxbridge - it's just hard for UK universities to compete with US considering enormous wealth of US universities.

(Original post by NaaderBajwa)
It depends which college within Penn you're talking about. Wharton (especially undergrad) is probably among the most prestigious, but CAS probably isn't. Sure, it's still very highly regarded, but probably less so than LSE (worldwide).
I agree here! But I did my little ranking considering university as a whole including Law School as well as Wharton. But yes Penn definitely isn't known for it's CAS...
Whatthe
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks guys.

Biggest question is this now: UCL or LSE (philosophy course) if I stay in the UK? And do I stay in the UK or go to UPenn or Brown?
Keify
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Whatthe)
Thanks guys.

Biggest question is this now: UCL or LSE (philosophy course) if I stay in the UK? And do I stay in the UK or go to UPenn or Brown?
wait for financial aid offers before you decide! good luck with choosing!
Mr. Roxas
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In my opinion (mainly for undergraduate education):

Oxford
Berkeley / UPenn / Dartmouth / Brown / Duke
LSE / Cornell
UCL / Vanderbilt
Durham
mc1000
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wish everyone on this forum would stop arse-raping Durham.
jreid1994
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Felix Felicis)
Oxbridge >> undergrad HYPSM >> Postgrad /thread
yup undergrad Oxbridge>everything, because of the tutorial system
Postgrad HYP>everything, because of its spending power.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MartinMorrison
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was at Penn (it's definitely Penn not UPenn by the way :P) recently, also studied undergrad in the UK. I took some courses at Wharton.

If it's for prestige it's really hard to say! Prestige is a very subjective thing. I have met people from Oxford who wish they got into Penn and vice versa. Your question was for prestige specifically, but others have discussed other factors.

Really, they are all very prestigious universities. It's going to be impossible to rank them. I don't think you should worry about that if your decision is down to that. Anyone with a decent education (or who you're going to want to 'impress') would have heard of most.

Like mentioned earlier however, the universities are very different for undergraduate. In my opinion, as a judgement of the courses I have done in the UK and those I have done at Penn, and many people I have spoken to who have had similar experiences at pairs of universities you mention - the UK universities are definitely considered more academically rigorous for undergraduate study, especially Oxbridge. I just learnt tons more in the UK, and others agree.

Also remember US undergrad is ridiculously expensive and a year longer. The facilities aren't reflective of that price tag at all. As much as people in US Ivies go on about the 'unique' educational experience of teamwork, class discussions blah blah - you'll find it all at LSE/Durham/Oxbridge at a much more reasonable price. It's not just the Oxbridge tutorial system - just the UK tutorial system is good and something you won't get in the US.
LutherVan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by benq)
Oxford
UPenn
LSE
Duke
Berkeley
Dartmouth
Cornell
UCL
Brown
Vanderbilt
Durham

About Oxbridge vs Ivies:

HYP>>>>>>Penn=Columbia=Oxbridge> Cornell=Dartmouth=Brown
This is rubbish!

What makes HYP far better than Oxbridge?

@OP

Here is a more sensible grouping I have seen:

http://www.nairaland.com/141689/roug...able/4#5905180
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (313)
55.99%
I don't have everything I need (246)
44.01%

Watched Threads