Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Apparently to try and get rid of spamming they're going to start charging to send e-mails, it'll stop all those companies sending out 4 billion unsolicited emails a day! It'll cost around 1p but it's said consumers won't be willing to give up free e-mail that easily.

Would you mind paying for email?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    Apparently to try and get rid of spamming they're going to start charging to send e-mails, it'll stop all those companies sending out 4 billion unsolicited emails a day! It'll cost around 1p but it's said consumers won't be willing to give up free e-mail that easily.

Would you mind paying for email?
    i wouldn't pay, just use msn messenger, or the phone

ReputationRep:
    I don't use Email much - but i would never pay for it. I thought it wasn't that simple though; it's not a charge to everyone from what i recall hearing about this.

ReputationRep:
    How exactly are they planning that one, given that anybody can setup a POP3/SMTP server on their broadband hosted linux server? If they had the ability to implement that, they'd easily have the ability to implement a wide ranging block. It's only because the major spammers have their own bloody telehouses connecting to major internet backbones that they can bypass every single ISP policy that could ever be made.

ReputationRep:
    I won't pay....We use the email which is with our internet provider anyway....and we pay for the line so why pay for the email aswelll....?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heather_1)
    I won't pay....We use the email which is with our internet provider anyway....and we pay for the line so why pay for the email aswelll....?

But is it not worth it to be rid of spam permanently?

ReputationRep:
    not worth it and i would never ever pay to use e-mail.

ReputationRep:
    you cant survive in uni without email. it's now the official form of communication

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    But is it not worth it to be rid of spam permanently?
    That's what Junk mail folder are for....on msn I use the exclusive option on the junk mail folder, and I don't get any.....

ReputationRep:
    I wish AOL had that spam folder option. By the way even if you don't give out your email address dya know how companies get it?
    Ya know when you open a forward theres lists of everyone the forward has been to? Someone along the line records that whole list and sells it to companies. I heard about that in a Forward :-/

ReputationRep:
    The charges that would be put on under plans by Microsoft are miniscule. We are talking 1p or 1¢. Most people could pay a quid or so and be able to survive for years. What it would prevent is someone who decides to send 50,000 emails.

That is the basis of the proposal. I'm not sure I agree with it, though. I think that if the AOL contingent of the Internet was more educated as to (a) how to spot ******** (ie. how to know that this friendly man from Nigeria will not give you millions if you just give him your bank details) and (b) how to filter out spam from your mailbox effectively (I'm currently using Mozilla Thunderbird, which does the job absolutely fantastically).

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.