The Student Room Group

How to get into tutoring.

Hello :smile:

I'm in my final year of A-levels; I will be off to university next year. As I've always enjoyed (and have been told I'm effective at) teaching people maths and explaining concepts to them, I've been considering tutoring for money during the long university holidays.

I would like to do it properly, so would like some advice - is there any way I can be certified (and how much would it cost)? Or would simply advertising my services be sufficient, using word of mouth - I'd start at my old school form as a lot of people know me there, and gradually broaden.

Any other advice, tips or warnings would be appreciated.

I have a full enhanced CRB check (from gymnastics coaching), and A* predictions in maths and further maths (which I will have achieved by the time I start tutoring).

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
There are a lot of sites out there. I joined three. I'll put them in another post in case i'm not allowed to actually put links up, so then that particular post can be removed if necessary.
The ones i did i didn't get certified, i think for that you need to become a fully qualified teacher.

One thing i would say is that you would not be extremely likely to get tutees over the holidays, especially over the summer one.

Word of mouth is definitely a powerful thing, advertise in shops local to you maybe?
I gave out flyers to my local primary schools, and a few of them contacted me because they were interested :smile: I was only 15 at the time too, so you don't need any official things really.
Reply 4
Original post by elldeegee
There are a lot of sites out there. I joined three. I'll put them in another post in case i'm not allowed to actually put links up, so then that particular post can be removed if necessary.
The ones i did i didn't get certified, i think for that you need to become a fully qualified teacher.

One thing i would say is that you would not be extremely likely to get tutees over the holidays, especially over the summer one.

Word of mouth is definitely a powerful thing, advertise in shops local to you maybe?

Thanks for the sites - I shall have a look :smile:

Good point about the holidays - however, (if I make my offer) I will have a sixteen-week summer holiday which will include a lot of term time, so hopefully that won't be too much of an issue.

Thanks again :smile:
Reply 5
Is there anybody else?

Quick Reply

Latest