Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know of a suitable chemical test that identifies esters out of an alcohol, a ketone, an alkane and an ester?

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, I had to do that coursework :rolleyes: Saponification was the only reaction I could come up with - I got a 6 for the plan so I assume it was right:

http://www.schoolresult.com/chemistr...chemistry9.htm
    Ester + NaOH –(Heat) --> Sodium SALT(ate) + alcohol
    Saponification reaction + phenolphthalein indicator
    Pink colour -> decolourises upon heating when ester has reacted completely.

Dunno if that link works anymore but the info's from that site. I think some others in my class used a PCl5 test though I couldn't find enough info on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmazda86)
    Urgh, I had to do that coursework :rolleyes: Saponification was the only reaction I could come up with - I got a 6 for the plan so I assume it was right:

http://www.schoolresult.com/chemistr...chemistry9.htm
    Ester + NaOH ?(Heat) --> Sodium SALT(ate) + alcohol
    Saponification reaction + phenolphthalein indicator
    Pink colour -> decolourises upon heating when ester has reacted completely.

Dunno if that link works anymore but the info's from that site. I think some others in my class used a PCl5 test though I couldn't find enough info on it.
    thanks

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.