Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know of a suitable chemical test that identifies esters out of an alcohol, a ketone, an alkane and an ester?

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, I had to do that coursework :rolleyes: Saponification was the only reaction I could come up with - I got a 6 for the plan so I assume it was right:

http://www.schoolresult.com/chemistr...chemistry9.htm
    Ester + NaOH –(Heat) --> Sodium SALT(ate) + alcohol
    Saponification reaction + phenolphthalein indicator
    Pink colour -> decolourises upon heating when ester has reacted completely.

Dunno if that link works anymore but the info's from that site. I think some others in my class used a PCl5 test though I couldn't find enough info on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmazda86)
    Urgh, I had to do that coursework :rolleyes: Saponification was the only reaction I could come up with - I got a 6 for the plan so I assume it was right:

http://www.schoolresult.com/chemistr...chemistry9.htm
    Ester + NaOH ?(Heat) --> Sodium SALT(ate) + alcohol
    Saponification reaction + phenolphthalein indicator
    Pink colour -> decolourises upon heating when ester has reacted completely.

Dunno if that link works anymore but the info's from that site. I think some others in my class used a PCl5 test though I couldn't find enough info on it.
    thanks

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.