The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Short course

Hey , does any know how the short courses are at central saint martins ?
Reply 1
In what regard?

The short courses at CSM cover a very broad range of subjects, are delivered in a very broad range of styles, and are aimed at a very broad range of students. It's difficult to compare a course on using Maya (sitting in front of a computer), to a fashion design course (moodboard! draping! moodboard! draping!), to portfolio prep (no more than 3 pages at least 7 of which must be drawing from observation, with the rest being a tiny selection that perfectly represents everything you've ever done), to a course that involves wandering around various markets & art galleries being told "interesting" anecdotes about models and musicians.

Many of the courses are very personal to the tutor delivering them, and two quite similar courses can differ greatly in both content and style depending on who is teaching.

Personally, I think the best CSM short courses are the most practical ones (CSM after all is a very practical/creative school compared to many others), though some of the courses can feel quite expensive -- the coolhunters/fashion London/design London courses can feel either very poor value (why am I paying £300 to be shown a street market) or great fun (if you're in the company of an attractive gossipy stylist who's taken half the class on to a private exhibition afterwards.)

However, if you're an A-level student who's going to be applying for foundation (whether at CSM or elsewhere) I would 100% recommend taking some of the practical courses, in particular portfolio prep ones.
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi, anyone taking or planning to take the portfolio preparation course "Orientation to Art & Design" at CSM?
Reply 3
Original post by callumph
In what regard?

The short courses at CSM cover a very broad range of subjects, are delivered in a very broad range of styles, and are aimed at a very broad range of students. It's difficult to compare a course on using Maya (sitting in front of a computer), to a fashion design course (moodboard! draping! moodboard! draping!), to portfolio prep (no more than 3 pages at least 7 of which must be drawing from observation, with the rest being a tiny selection that perfectly represents everything you've ever done), to a course that involves wandering around various markets & art galleries being told "interesting" anecdotes about models and musicians.

Many of the courses are very personal to the tutor delivering them, and two quite similar courses can differ greatly in both content and style depending on who is teaching.

Personally, I think the best CSM short courses are the most practical ones (CSM after all is a very practical/creative school compared to many others), though some of the courses can feel quite expensive -- the coolhunters/fashion London/design London courses can feel either very poor value (why am I paying £300 to be shown a street market) or great fun (if you're in the company of an attractive gossipy stylist who's taken half the class on to a private exhibition afterwards.)

However, if you're an A-level student who's going to be applying for foundation (whether at CSM or elsewhere) I would 100% recommend taking some of the practical courses, in particular portfolio prep ones.

Hey I know this is random but are you from the PH?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending