The Student Room Group
London South Bank University
London

Starting child nursing at LSBU in march 2013

Anyone else? I'm getting excited now! However I seem to have lost the piece of paper I had which had a short list of the injections I need to get before starting - could anyone help me out?

I'm in David Bomberg house :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey.. I am starting Child Nursing in March too but am travelling in from home!

The form is on this page: http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/hsc/courses/occupational-health.shtml
It has 4 documents on there for you to print. :smile:

I spoke to my local hospital about getting the injections and they said it would cost ÂŁ100 but if I waited until the course started it would be free. You need the injections before you start placement, not before you start the course... Do you think it would be better to get the injections now?
London
Reply 2
Hi, I'm also starting in March (child nursing). Just waiting to get my email and password through from lsbu so that I can enroll online. I phoned the course leader a few weeks ago and she said that our first placement is at the end of June (24th I think), so there's plenty of time to get the injections (worth saving ÂŁ100 if you can help it I think!).
Reply 3
Yeh I haven't heard anything from LSBU since the offer. Have you heard anything from the NHS Bursary system yet?

Do you think if we ask them for timetables they can give them to us now??
Reply 4
No, I haven’t heard anything from the NHS bursary system either. I contacted lsbu and asked when I would be able to enrol online and they said that an email and password will be generated within a couple of weeks (that was on the 16th Jan), I’d quite like to get the forms filled out soon. But as long as we have the offer! In saying that, I didn’t accept my offer until 11th Jan. So that’s probably why there’s a delay in getting it processed!
I was wondering the same about the timetable, as I would like to be know when I can work part time/ fit it around our studies. There shouldn’t be a problem with finding out as thy will already have the year planed out. It was Sue Mullaney who I spoke to.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
I accepted my offer in the middle of November and still haven't heard! I did talk to them about the NHS Bursary though and they said that they send everyone's details off at the end of January so we should be getting an email from the NHS soon I think!

Yeh I wana know for part time work... and because is starts in March we won't be getting the Summer holidays off as if we started in September. I think I was told we get two weeks off in Summer, but don't know when.

I have read some other threads and they said that the first year we are in Uni from Wednesday to Friday with Monday and Tuesday as 'study days but just want to know for definite. I will talk to them tomorrow and will let you know what they say :smile:
Reply 6
Hmm, they are taking their time then! Thank you very much, that would be great to know! I’m very excited about starting. I finish working at my current job next Friday (I’m going to have a bit of a break before March 12th) so I will definitely have to earn pennies some other way! I’m moving down from Scotland too, and London living costs are a lot more than they are here. But it’ll be great to be living in London whilst studying.
Reply 7
Yeh, I think they just wait for everybody to accept and then set it up all in one go! That's a nice long break!! I finish work on 19th February to have a break :smile:

Yeh I'm excited too... Been a while sinceI was learning anything so will be tough to get back into it but 100% worth it!

You going to be staying in halls or you looking for an apartment somewhere?
Reply 8
Definitely, enjoy it – it’ll be a while before we get a bit of time off :smile: I’m going to be staying with my boyfriend in south east London. I’m a mature student (25) but better late than never! What about yourself? Do you live in London at the moment? Halls seem to be very popular (understandably).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
I am a mature student too (24) and I am still living at home so will be travelling in from Essex.

Definitely better late than never!!! Most of the people on my interview day were mature students so I don't think we will be alone there!
Reply 10
I'm glad it's not just me who hasn't heard anything! Thanks eamesygirl for the info on injections - very useful to know and I can breathe a sigh of relief now! Saving the ÂŁ100 makes sense. 37 days til move in day :wink:
Reply 11
Hey!!
I got my NHS bursary email today, did you's?
Also spoke to the University, they have not got a definite timetable yet as it depends on what group you are in, and we haven't yet been split.
But she said lessons are Wed-Fri. And there will probably be a week off from 2nd-10th June and then back to Uni on 14th June until the end of December.
Reply 12
Hello,

Yes I got mine too! I've registered but I haven't started it yet so I'm hoping that it isn't too complicated :smile: Ooo, excellent, great to know a bit more information so thanks for that. I spoke to someone from admissions the other day and he said that we should get an email towards the end of Feb with username and password info for enrolling online. Face to face enrollment will take place in the morning and afternoon of Monday 11th March. Can't wait!
Reply 13
Hey everyone. I've applied for march 2013. I know I'm super late but I met with a tutor at queens hospital who checked I had qualifications etc and said there were spaces for march so apply on ucas ASAP so I did that Sunday! Not heard anything yet but expect interview soon as its only a couple of weeks till the course starts!! Can anyone give me interview tips and what they asked? I'm also mature (26) student- makes me sound old! Il be travelling from home in Essex as I'm married :smile:
Reply 14
Hi, I'm also starting Child Nursing at LSBU in March 2013, not long now!
In David Bomberg house as well :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Jennyseats
Hey everyone. I've applied for march 2013. I know I'm super late but I met with a tutor at queens hospital who checked I had qualifications etc and said there were spaces for march so apply on ucas ASAP so I did that Sunday! Not heard anything yet but expect interview soon as its only a couple of weeks till the course starts!! Can anyone give me interview tips and what they asked? I'm also mature (26) student- makes me sound old! Il be travelling from home in Essex as I'm married :smile:

Hi Jenny,

They were all really nice, we were interviewed by two people each (one lady from the admissions department and a nurse who definitely knew her stuff!). They look at all of your papers/ qualifications/ etc to verify them, then they asked questions like "how would you communicate with someone with speech difficulties?", "how would you deal with a parent or relative of a patient who you knew you had nothing in common with?". "how would you switch off and relax after a stressful day at work?", just stuff like that!
It took around 4 hours in total with the additional literacy and numeracy tests and a general chat about the course too. I hope you get an interview soon :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by soph_1
Hi Jenny,

They were all really nice, we were interviewed by two people each (one lady from the admissions department and a nurse who definitely knew her stuff!). They look at all of your papers/ qualifications/ etc to verify them, then they asked questions like "how would you communicate with someone with speech difficulties?", "how would you deal with a parent or relative of a patient who you knew you had nothing in common with?". "how would you switch off and relax after a stressful day at work?", just stuff like that!
It took around 4 hours in total with the additional literacy and numeracy tests and a general chat about the course too. I hope you get an interview soon :smile:

Thank you for replying! Still haven't heard anything but I might actually call next week if still nothing!! Did you do the mendas test online ?
Reply 17
Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that! That came first and if you're successful then you get an interview. I hope you hear from them and get a chance to start in March (it makes sense if there are still spaces), but if not there is still September. A little bit further into the year, but it could be Plan B if it would still suit you to start then.
Reply 18
I ended up calling them today coz I'm impatient and lucky I did because admissions assumed I was a September applicant! Anyway did the mendas test- must have done ok coz have interview next Monday!! Eek!! Exciting!
Reply 19
Hey, exciting stuff! Good for you for phoning them up, you would have been majorly disappointed otherwise. Good luck for your interview, you'll be finding out if you have an offer just a few days before enrolment!
I'm moving down from Scotland next week to get settled into where I'll be staying. Looking forward to it, but also a bit nervous.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending