The Student Room Group

2013 Study Thread

A thread used to keep you on the right track with your studying, through competitiveness and encouragement.

Hopefully this thread will motivate and encourage students to work hard and meet their university offers, cut-off grades for continuation into next year at university, or just prove to yourself that you can achieve what you aim for.
When you see what others are doing for their studying, it'll encourage you to work harder!

But please bear in mind that studying is all very personal and you should do what works for you - but you've got to do it!

University, school and college students all welcome.

The rules are simple:

The first rule of study thread is, YOU DO NOT TALK...only joking :rolleyes:.
The rules are
1. everyday post what you studied that day and how you done it - if you lie, you're only hurting yourself.

2. If you didn't study, did you have good reason?

3. If you don't feel like studying but know you should be, post on here and we'll hopefully give you motivation.

4.Write down a target at the start of the week, of how many hours you'd like to put into that week with regards to studying, at the end of the week, post on here if you met your target. If not, tell us how close you got and why you missed it.

Rule 5.
Post the grades you hope to achieve and whether or not a university offer or continuation into further year, depends on you achieving such grade (s).
Then post the grades you think you are currently on track for.

Good luck!

EDIT: Here's a link to the new thread

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2494980&p=44859887#post44859887
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This could be useful.
Reply 2
Original post by I am Ace
:wavey:

No idea whether this is the kind of thing you're looking for, but I find the Pomodoro technique useful for breaking things down and getting work done. Seriously, give it a go! :smile:
Hmmm, I like the sound of this. I guess as more people join there'll be a network effect so someone needs to get the ball rolling. I'm not really working towards anything atm but I will be come February.
Reply 4
Four STEP questions done. Mostly poorly done. Must improve.
Reply 5
UND has the right idea.
2 hours of organic chemistry, half an hour of maths.
Missed out STEP due to time, probably could have started an hour earlier - perhaps the solution is to start my study session with STEP

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Dont know if other places are doing it but in Sheffield been offered by the Sheffield Uni maths dept several lectures etc and support on preparing for STEP.
Its really good of them bearing in mind they dont ask for it so its not Sheffield offer holders who wiil be on the course.
Reply 7
Original post by proterra
Dont know if other places are doing it but in Sheffield been offered by the Sheffield Uni maths dept several lectures etc and support on preparing for STEP.
Its really good of them bearing in mind they dont ask for it so its not Sheffield offer holders who wiil be on the course.

Someone from UCL is doing lessons for STEP II/III offer holders but they cost money.
Reply 8
I'll begin to post when I start back into a routine next Monday - a couple of hours work a night should keep me right. :smile:
Reply 9
I have prepared an excel file that goes from Monday through Sunday, splitting your day up into 15 minute blocks. It covers 2 A4 pages, and it isn't perfect, but it really helps me plan ahead and stick to it. If people are interested, give me a PM. It's best printed quite a few copies at a time.

Good thread.
Reply 10
I like this thread :smile: Can track my work progress and force me to work harder :smile: Good idea! Will start in Feb.
This weekend I need to:
*Make a start on my English coursework and comparative commentary.
*Start and Finish a philosophy essay.
*Revise for chaper 2, C2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
This weekend I need to start revising for M3 and FP1, both of which are on Monday. I like to live dangerously. :wink:
I havent studied this week at all. Only did Mechanics 1 past papers because i had exam on Wednesday. And after the exam i take rest.

SO i will start studying on Sunday (sunday is not a holiday in our area)

I will study Biology , Chemistry and C2 in this upcoming week. Bio Unit 2 (cell structure and cell divison) . Chem Unit 2 (Bond angles, Shape and polarity , and diamond , graphite structure ) and C2 text book first 2 topics.

This June i will be doing 9 Units . Bio 3 , Chem 3 and Maths 3 . So from Sunday onwards my revision begins .
Guys motivate me and wish me Good Luck .

Thankyou
Good idea, hopefully start in Feb ( I know it's only a few days away:colondollar: ), good luck everyone!
Reply 15
This looks great! :smile: I hope it can help me stay motivated through all this insanity! I, too, hope to start most of my revision (for IB exams!) in February. After, of course, I finish all this:

- TOK essay (1600)
- Extended essay (4000)
- English WL (1500)

And study in between working on this:

- TOK rewrite
- Extended essay rewrites
- History coursework (2000)
- Math portfolio
So I didn't do as much as I planned.
Tidied my room and desk and shelf though. And made a start on my philosophy essay. English coursework has become the bane of my existence..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Final year, 2nd semester starts tomorrow and I'm determined to work harder so I'll join.
No lectures till Tuesday so will start working then

Good idea OP.
Reply 18
Right,
1. Chem unit 1 revision at least 2 hours everynight of this week.
2. Chem unit 3 revision 1.5 hours per day.
3. 2-3 STEP questions done this week.
4. revise all topics in maths that I'm weak on.
Reply 19
Original post by Of_the_hook
Final year, 2nd semester starts tomorrow and I'm determined to work harder so I'll join.
No lectures till Tuesday so will start working then

Good idea OP.

Perhaps some light pre-reading can gently walk you into the new semester, instead of diving in at the deep end.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending