The Student Room Group

Velocity/speed

If they asked me to find the velocity at point C, would I have to consider both horizontal and velocity and take the root of the sum of their squares ?

Also, if they asked me to find?the speed at point C, would it be correct if I just found the vertical velocity at this point? a
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Original post by GPODT

If they asked me to find the velocity at point C, would I have to consider both horizontal and velocity and take the root of the sum of their squares ?

No. Velocity is a vector so you have to find both its magnitude and its direction. The calculation that you gave above finds the magnitude; you can give its direction in a variety of ways, but here you would probably specify the angle that the velocity vector makes with the horizontal.

So you could say, for example, that the velocity is 8 m/s at an angle of -50 degrees to the horizontal.

Or you could set up x-y coords, and give the velocity vector as components parallel to those axes e.g. as (58)\begin{pmatrix} 5 \\ -8\end{pmatrix} or 5i8j5\bold{i}-8\bold{j} (or whatever the components are).

Also, if they asked me to find?the speed at point C, would it be correct if I just found the vertical velocity at this point? a

No. You'd just give the magnitude of the velocity vector, according to the calculation that you made above.

Quick Reply

Latest