Turn on thread page Beta

If It Had Not Been For Re-sits, What As/a-level Grades Would You Have Achieved watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    That's the impression that the media give - and this forum! We have many gifted students posting here that are not necessarily representative of the population as a whole - in fact, they are not at all!!

The statistics show that the average percentage of students to get 3 A levels at A grades are:-
    Independent schools - 23%
    State schools - 6%

Checked this out on a news item in the IndpendentEducation just this morning
    6% ? I'm doomed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    I want to know who pays for all these resits - the average cost of AS/A level exams is approx. £20. It must really soak up the school budget in a big way if the school pays.
    Our college pays for ours... although my media teacher did admit that he didn't know exactly who had to pay for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    Bear in mind that's 6% of a FAR larger group. If you looked at the number of people who get AAA there'll probably be more in state schools.
    Yeah, you're right.
    Let's assume there are 250,000 entrants in total. Of those, 93% will be at state schools so 13,950 will get 3 A grades.
    Of those who are at independent schools, 4,025 will get 3 A grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Our college pays for ours... although my media teacher did admit that he didn't know exactly who had to pay for them.
    At my college students have to pay to resit, and I'm pretty sure it's like that at most places.

ReputationRep:
    At our college students had to pay up front for their resists, but if you improved on your previous result then you could claim it back. It costs them a fortune and they aren't getting any extra money to cover it, I decided to not claim my one resit money back as a kind of donation to them. People who want to do 8 or more resits, unless there are extenuating circumstances, should have to pay themselves I think.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't take any as I felt that I should really do my best and have just one shot at it, however if I had had a really bad mark somewhere I would have tried to improve it.

You get a great feeling of satisfaction come results day to know you did it all in one go, however it would be stupid not to take the opportunity to improve a grade for the sake of pride.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.