Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi i have to do a chi squared test for my psy coursework A2 and ive got the method of how to do it and all but ive just no idea wot its purpose is.

also ive got 10 participants in 3 conditions so would i add the participants scores up for each condition?

cheers
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by emmz)
    hi i have to do a chi squared test for my psy coursework A2 and ive got the method of how to do it and all but ive just no idea wot its purpose is.

also ive got 10 participants in 3 conditions so would i add the participants scores up for each condition?

cheers
    A chi square test is to compare the actual results with what might be expected if there was no variation due to the conditions. For example (in geog) if you were looking at variations in pebbles sizes in relation to their position on the beach, you would put all your samples into categories of both size and distance (say small, medium and large pebbles and back, middle and front of beach). You then add up the total number of samples (say 180 pebbles) divide by the number of categories - in this case 9, and thus in chi square, if there were no variation due to size or location, you would EXPECT 20 pebbles to be found in each category. What chi square does is to compare what you expect with what you actually get as results. The bigger the deviation from the hypothetical ExPECTED means there is more chance of a significant result from your sample.It doesn't sound as though you have enough actual findings to make it a viable test, though....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogger)
    A chi square test is to compare the actual results with what might be expected if there was no variation due to the conditions. For example (in geog) if you were looking at variations in pebbles sizes in relation to their position on the beach, you would put all your samples into categories of both size and distance (say small, medium and large pebbles and back, middle and front of beach). You then add up the total number of samples (say 180 pebbles) divide by the number of categories - in this case 9, and thus in chi square, if there were no variation due to size or location, you would EXPECT 20 pebbles to be found in each category. What chi square does is to compare what you expect with what you actually get as results. The bigger the deviation from the hypothetical ExPECTED means there is more chance of a significant result from your sample.It doesn't sound as though you have enough actual findings to make it a viable test, though....
    thanks loads. r u familiar wiv the steps to chi squared as by stage 4 the example shows results as the following:

but at this stage mine are

i have 3 conditions though whereas most only have 2.

ReputationRep:
    I thought I sent you my template of this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    I thought I sent you my template of this?
    u did ive used the method but my observed value of x2 has turned out as 876.1 :confused: ive done evrything right but im dealing with quite high numbers. i calculated it on the google chi square calculater and it says its 75.5.
    ive not gone wrong anywhere using the method.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.
    Im just completed my coursework and had it 'marked' by my teacher. Why are you using chi squared? They do not specify a particular method. Might i suggest spearmann rho?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    u did ive used the method but my observed value of x2 has turned out as 876.1 :confused: ive done evrything right but im dealing with quite high numbers. i calculated it on the google chi square calculater and it says its 75.5.
    ive not gone wrong anywhere using the method.
    If you post your original data on here, I'll happlily have a go for you and see what I get.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.