Turn on thread page Beta

Way too many Asylum Seekers, we can't handle this many! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm not racist or anything, but there is WAY too many ragheads and Kosovans etc coming into Britain. I don't mind a few, justifiable asylum seekers coming in, I don't have a problem with that at all. But when it is THOUSANDS then I think the immigration department and government is taking the piss to be frank. We can't handle this many, I wish we could help every asylum case in the world and live in utopia at the same time, but that is just dreaming, lets get realistic we are only a small country and it is unsustainablke on many levels and we are far from utopian as it is anyway. I'm not saying that I don't want asylum seekers to come here - I don't mind it at all - I believe they bring diversity to our culture and welfare system. WHAT I AM saying is that we simply cannot cope with this massive influx due to many objective societal and demographic factors (overpopulation, not enough housing, exacerbation of unemployment due to increased population etc etc). I am being honest it has nothing to do with racism (I am definitely not racist in the slightest) but it is to do with being realistic about how many people this country can take in under its wing.

ReputationRep:
    You really shouldn't start any controversial race related debate with "I'm not racist but.." .. people won't believe you :P Nor should you refer to people as ragheads?

As for your argument, evidence, statistics, economics analysis please!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rag Head)
    I'm not racist or anything, but there is WAY too many ragheads and Kosovans etc coming into Britain. I don't mind a few, justifiable asylum seekers coming in, I don't have a problem with that at all. But when it is THOUSANDS then I think the immigration department and government is taking the piss to be frank. We can't handle this many, I wish we could help every asylum case in the world and live in utopia at the same time, but we are only a small country and it is unsustainablke on many levels. I'm not saying that I don't want asylum seekers to come here - I don't mind it at all - I believe they bring diversity to our culture and welfare system. WHAT I AM saying is that we simply cannot cope with this massive influx due to many objective societal and demographic factors (overpopulation, not enough housing, exacerbation of unemployment due to increased population etc etc). I am being honest it has nothing to do with racism (I am definitely not racist in the slightest) but it is to do with being realistic about how many people this country can take in under its wing.
    germany has got way more asylum seekers, but there are already policies to handle or lets say sustain this supply in the uk

ReputationRep:
    I'm not racist or anything, but there is WAY too many ragheads and Kosovans etc coming into Britain.
    Would you mind less if they were all Australians and Americans?

I don't mind a few, justifiable asylum seekers coming in, I don't have a problem with that at all. But when it is THOUSANDS
    What makes you think the categories of "justified" and "thousands" are mutually exclusive?

then I think the immigration department and government is taking the piss to be frank. We can't handle this many,
    Evidence, please, that we cannot.

WHAT I AM saying is that we simply cannot cope with this massive influx due to many objective societal and demographic factors
    Do you actually know how many asylum seekers there are currently in this country? The percentage is tiny.

(overpopulation, not enough housing, exacerbation of unemployment due to increased population etc etc).
    The first one isn't really true, and overpopulation certainly isn't going to be seriously affected either way given the numbers of immigrants coming in. The other two are economic fallacies, there is not a set number of houses or jobs within any economy.

Ultimately, things in this country are not perfect, however things elsewhere are much much worse (and other countries are much less well equipped than us to "handle" the "influx"). Thus, we have an obligation far beyond what this country currently provides.

ReputationRep:
    There are other issues though surely... I know that where I live the new immigrants from Eastern European countries are causing other social problems mainly because of their behaviour here... they hang around in massive groups, being sexually abusive towards women and provoking fights with lads. That's hardly making a worthwhile contribution to our society is it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not racist or anything, but there is WAY too many ragheads and Kosovans etc coming into Britain. I don't mind a few, justifiable asylum seekers coming in, I don't have a problem with that at all. But when it is THOUSANDS then I think the immigration department and government is taking the piss to be frank. We can't handle this many, I wish we could help every asylum case in the world and live in utopia at the same time, but that is just dreaming, lets get realistic we are only a small country and it is unsustainablke on many levels and we are far from utopian as it is anyway. I'm not saying that I don't want asylum seekers to come here - I don't mind it at all - I believe they bring diversity to our culture and welfare system. WHAT I AM saying is that we simply cannot cope with this massive influx due to many objective societal and demographic factors (overpopulation, not enough housing, exacerbation of unemployment due to increased population etc etc). I am being honest it has nothing to do with racism (I am definitely not racist in the slightest) but it is to do with being realistic about how many people this country can take in under its wing.

It's easy to start an argument you don't understand, and your childish and immature opening sentence makes it blatently obvious that you can't possibly comprehend the way the asylum process works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    It's easy to start an argument you don't understand, and your childish and immature opening sentence makes it blatently obvious that you can't possibly comprehend the way the asylum process works.
    Is it just me though or is it stupid that they somehow end up in Britain. There are tons of safe and prosperous nations that they must of travelled through to get to the UK...... why should you have to take them, the first country they go to should be where they stop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    Is it just me though or is it stupid that they somehow end up in Britain. There are tons of safe and prosperous nations that they must of travelled through to get to the UK...... why should you have to take them, the first country they go to should be where they stop
    or is it that we have so many bleeding heart liberals fearing someone might mistake them for a racist if they say enough is enough that we're an easy target?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleenia)
    There are other issues though surely... I know that where I live the new immigrants from Eastern European countries are causing other social problems mainly because of their behaviour here... they hang around in massive groups, being sexually abusive towards women and provoking fights with lads. That's hardly making a worthwhile contribution to our society is it?
    I'd struggle to describe this post as even anecdotal.

ReputationRep:
    or is it that we have so many bleeding heart liberals fearing someone might mistake them for a racist if they say enough is enough that we're an easy target?
    Yes, of course, all the starving Kosovans have done their homework as far as the particular political makeup of their potential destination countries!

It isn't like this country has less harsh policies in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maddock)
    Why would the put the extra effort into travelling hundreds more miles and crossing the channel if they didn't know Britain was any better than all the other countries they have to go through to get here? Surely a "starving kosovan" would be happy stopping at the nearest available country?
    I never said they didn't consider Britain "any better", just that a complex analysis of the socioeconomic benefits of different European countries probably didn't factor in the decisions of many.

There are many reasons for choosing to come to Britain, but I doubt that is a particularly common one.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. I agree eleenie, but felt that communicating this particular perception of asylum seekers would be classed as racism (and it has nothing to do with race, perhaps it has something to do with the preceding culture of the asylum seekers though?). I was trying to put forward my argument in politically correct terms, by looking at the wider picture (and still I was criticised :rolleyes: )

This is where I am coming from. I am complaining about the effects of too many asylum seekers, in terms of the micro sociological effects of TOO MANY asylum seekers. I live in an area that would be judged by many middle/upper class as fairly poor. I live in a working class neighbourhood, and there is quite a number of council properties within. I have noticed in recent years a large ethnic influx from visualisation and auditory perception of their language (I am trying to be politically correct here bear with me). Don't get me wrong I have NO PROBLEM with people of different race living in my neighbourhood (I have numerous friends in my neighbourhood that are of different race, and they moved here before I was even born, and they are lovely, cultured and civilised people). However, I often see many of the newcomers hanging around in large groups, throwing their weight around by being confontational (e.g, you go to the shop and on the way you get a large group of the afforementioned 'asylum seekers' speaking into your face in a language you don't understand - I can only assume its insults by the body language - and pushing you around) and there has been a large rise in criminality in my area (this is statistically shown). For example, my local shop was robbed (this has never happened before to my knowldege) by percieved asylum seekers. The shop is owned and run by an elderly lady and her family (Asian) and she was violently assaulted, her son (a friend of mine) rushed to help but was attacked with a metal pole and sustained head injuries (but thankfully they are all okay).

LOOK, I could go on about the things that I have seen, but I don't see the need to. I am not a racist. I just feel that YES we should accept SOME asylum seekers, those with a definite reason, but NO I don't agree with the amount of asylum seekers coming in (and remember many are falsely claiming asylum).

This country has enough problems as it is. We do not need to add to it.

WE DO HAVE THE CAPACITY TO HELP SOME, BUT NO WE DO NOT HAVE THE CAPACITY TO HELP THE WHOLE WORLD. I wish we could, in A PERFECT WORLD. But THE WORLD IS NOT PERFECT. Utopia has not happened and probably never will. Sorry, but life is a *****.

This is a question I would like to pose for the critics:

How would you feel about a vast influx of asylum seekers into your middle/upper class suburbs?

ReputationRep:
    we dont have enough resources to support these people.

ReputationRep:
    So does it mean that you are a rag head because of you rname?

ReputationRep:
    Something many people don't realise is that around 90% of refugee seekers worldwide move from one developing country to another.
    Surely this indicates that they truly are moving to escape persecution and also that Britain's part is relatively minor.

We need hard facts and statistics if you want us to believe that immigrants are crippling our economy.
    Also, you're not complaining about any of the Americans here, or Australians, are you?

ReputationRep:
    the numbers seeking asylum have dramitcally dropped in recent years and the home secutary David Blunket would be more at home under Thatcher than Blair so stop complaining since there are hardly any coming into our country compared to others and be thankful that your not being persecuted

ReputationRep:
    Long post above.
    Ok, lets start by defining exactly what an Asylum seeker is.

1. Definition of asylum seeker

A person having a well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion, is outside the country of his nationality and is unable, or owing to such fear, is unwilling to avail himself of the protection of that country.

So, what you are suggesting is that regardless of the person well being because as shown in the definition in above is being unfairly discriminated against in his country of origin should be removed due to 'problems'.

What problems are these? Well you want to claim that they gather in groups and disturb the peace. Well, thats a rather large claim to make as many of Britians youths do the exact same thing. Shall we have borth control or something to stop this?

Frankly, the problem lies that they are not become welcomed as part of a community and feel isolated from it and it is the job of the government and the community to get them more integrated within it rather than them feeling secular. So, this is not grounds why we should stop accepting people.

We can't afford it? Well, first of all once an Asylum system is processed they are entitled to benefits subject to the same rules as a British citizen - is this not fair? Yes I think so. Also, the system works on the 'New Deal' which after 6months stops people receiving these benefits. So they are not leeching off the state, because if they do so they receive no money from the state.

So essentially what you saying is:

1) Asylum seekers I don't like them because they cause my community trouble
    2) Ah they are causing economic problems too many of them.

However, are you saying we should refuse people entry when they have a genuine fear of persecution (this is what the process seeks to prove before they are allowed in) because it might cause a slight damage to the economy (which is negligible because they cannot leech off the state permanently). A person HUMAN RIGHTS come above the fact it 'may' or 'may not' cause some British person a problem because they have prejudiced views (probably due to the media) on this issue.

We cannot say that our economy and the fact some 'foreign' people commit crimes (like thousands of natives) come above basic human rights such as 'The right to life' , 'Freedom of worship' and the 'right to be free from degrading treatment'

If anyone read that, I'll be happy

ReputationRep:
    i have read it, good post, glad you explained why they are seeking asylum!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    If anyone read that, I'll be happy
    have read it- it made sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    I'd struggle to describe this post as even anecdotal.
    would you struggle to describe the diaries of samuel peeps as anecdotal. I'm just commenting on something that i see happening around me where i live. Its no different than making a generalisation commenting on the behaviour of teenagers, old people or any other social group. I couldn't care less if you don't care for my opinion, but i'm entitled to it all the same.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.