Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleenia)
    or is it that we have so many bleeding heart liberals fearing someone might mistake them for a racist if they say enough is enough that we're an easy target?
    Also this post had nothing to do with Kosovans - I was saying that people fear being called racists so much that they opt for a 'more the merrier' attitude rather than considering the social pressures of immigration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleenia)
    Also this post had nothing to do with Kosovans - I was saying that people fear being called racists so much that they opt for a 'more the merrier' attitude rather than considering the social pressures of immigration.
    We are not talking of all immigration, merely asylum seekers as the orginal poster specified.

Besides, the majority of immigrants provide valuble Labour and entreperneurship to our economy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    So essentially what you saying is:

1) Asylum seekers I don't like them because they cause my community trouble
    2) Ah they are causing economic problems too many of them.
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    So, what you are suggesting is that regardless of the person well being because as shown in the definition in above is being unfairly discriminated against in his country of origin should be removed due to 'problems'.

What problems are these? Well you want to claim that they gather in groups and disturb the peace. Well, thats a rather large claim to make as many of Britians youths do the exact same thing. Shall we have borth control or something to stop this?
    I never said that this country is without problems. That is the whole contention of my argument. This country has a ****-load of problems as it is, WITHOUT ADDING TO THEM BY IMPORTING MORE CRIMINALITY (i.e. those asylum seekers that commit crime: which is the majority of them). And why does the government give them residence in areas that are already impoverished enough as it is?

Your post is probably the same as the one that Tony Blair woulf give if asked about Asylum Seekers. ********.

I understand where you are coming from. I wish the World could be perfect. UTOPIAN. But it isn't. I wish we could help EVRYONE. But how is that possible when we fail to help ourselves?

How would you feel about a mass influx of asylum seekers into middle/upper class suburbs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rag Head)
    I never said that this country is without problems. That is the whole contention of my argument. This country has a ****-load of problems as it is, WITHOUT ADDING TO THEM BY IMPORTING MORE CRIMINALITY (i.e. those asylum seekers that commit crime: which is the majority of them). And why does the government give them residence in areas that are already impoverished enough as it is?

Your post is probably the same as the one that Tony Blair woulf give if asked about Asylum Seekers. ********.

I understand where you are coming from. I wish the World could be perfect. UTOPIAN. But it isn't. I wish we could help EVRYONE. But how is that possible when we fail to help ourselves?

How would you feel about a mass influx of asylum seekers into middle/upper class suburbs?
    Now, I'm going to try one last time - this time engage brain.

First of all I will ignore your post about them being criminals till you give me statistical evidence to back it up.
    Why are they in 'poorer' areas? I imagine because thats where the housing is. If thye were in middle/upper class suburbs I would feel the exact same I do about them being in 'poorer' areas.

You are trying to argue that the welfare of a human being who could be tortured, killed or subjected to degrading treatment because of their faith/race/political view should be refused entry and sent back to another country?
    Sadly, that makes no sense at all - the so called 'damage' (which may I add you just gloss around making rash statements without evidence) is as far as I am concerned neglible against the human life and rights.

Do you just automatically assume just because it sounded like something Tony Blair might say it must be ********? I imagine so, proving you are infact a predjuided person and this means your views are probably predjuided toward asylum seekers also.

Now, if you wish to continue arguing you should find some statistical evidence that shows the countrys problems due to asylum seekers alone (not all immigration) in areas of social and economic. You should also find evidence of how they are 'all' in impoverished areas (which I'm not so sure they are) - until then your argument is a set of statements that cannot be proved true.

ReputationRep:
    the uk has takes the smallest number of asylum seekers of any western european country.. something like 0.96 for every 1000 people compared to nearly 2.4 per 1000 people in germay (ill have to check that one..but i think its germany) and scotland is actually encouraging immigration (i know this is different from asylum seekers, but they are not all stupid, illiterate foreigners without degrees) as the population of working adults in scotland is actually falling.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've seen about asylum seekers I'm not too impressed to be honest. I admit I don't know fact and figures and I am relatively quite naive about the issue. However, after seeing a number of documetaries on the subject I got quite angry. An example of what wound me up... 3 asylum seekers being given a house (while waiting to be granted asylum). Ok fair enough, they were given a house. But this house was bloody nice!! Nicer than any student accommodation I've seen. And they weren't just given a roof over their heads, they had a room each, all with double beds and bedding...it was all decorated nicely too. Also in the house was a TV and video, a microwave, oven + hob, washing machine, dryer, think it even had a dishwasher. Now this Pd me off. I do support the giving of aid...to genuine asylum seekers fleeing persecution. But why should they be given luxuries? If the persecution was that bad then initially asylum seekers should be happy just with being accepted and given the very basic of things. And these ones hadn't even been granted asylum yet!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rag Head)
    I'm not racist or anything, but there is WAY too many ragheads and Kosovans etc coming into Britain. I don't mind a few, justifiable asylum seekers coming in, I don't have a problem with that at all. But when it is THOUSANDS then I think the immigration department and government is taking the piss to be frank. We can't handle this many, I wish we could help every asylum case in the world and live in utopia at the same time, but that is just dreaming, lets get realistic we are only a small country and it is unsustainablke on many levels and we are far from utopian as it is anyway. I'm not saying that I don't want asylum seekers to come here - I don't mind it at all - I believe they bring diversity to our culture and welfare system. WHAT I AM saying is that we simply cannot cope with this massive influx due to many objective societal and demographic factors (overpopulation, not enough housing, exacerbation of unemployment due to increased population etc etc). I am being honest it has nothing to do with racism (I am definitely not racist in the slightest) but it is to do with being realistic about how many people this country can take in under its wing.

I have to say I agree asylum seekers have also shown their support for al queda attacks in spain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    From what I've seen about asylum seekers I'm not too impressed to be honest. I admit I don't know fact and figures and I am relatively quite naive about the issue. However, after seeing a number of documetaries on the subject I got quite angry. An example of what wound me up... 3 asylum seekers being given a house (while waiting to be granted asylum). Ok fair enough, they were given a house. But this house was bloody nice!! Nicer than any student accommodation I've seen. And they weren't just given a roof over their heads, they had a room each, all with double beds and bedding...it was all decorated nicely too. Also in the house was a TV and video, a microwave, oven + hob, washing machine, dryer, think it even had a dishwasher. Now this Pd me off. I do support the giving of aid...to genuine asylum seekers fleeing persecution. But why should they be given luxuries? If the persecution was that bad then initially asylum seekers should be happy just with being accepted and given the very basic of things. And these ones hadn't even been granted asylum yet!!

Well said. It is taking the piss im afraid no wonder they travel all the way through europe to get here instead of stopping in france etc. We are a soft touch!

Also in the hostel type asylum seeker accomadtion complexes, they each get a top of the range pc in their rooms with 1mb broadband connections TVs stereos sky digital. It was in the daily mail not so long ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    We need hard facts and statistics if you want us to believe that immigrants are crippling our economy.
    Also, you're not complaining about any of the Americans here, or Australians, are you?
    How many asylum seekers come from australia and america? are they vicious and brutal dictatorial regimes where people do not have democratic rights?

Get it right, you are another idiot unable to distinguish between immigration and asylum claimants.
    We accept asylum claimants because they are supposedly being persecuted etc.
    We accept immigrants because they can contribute something to our country.
    And I dont see why we should accept so many asylum seekers when they are channel hopping from safe EU countries such as France and Germany, its illegal for a start.

ReputationRep:
    I feel sorry for them but at the same time, it's the same thing like whether or not you're willing to pick someone off the streets and let them live in your home. It's just not feasible especially when your own well-being is compromised

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    But is that the fault of the asylum seeker, or rather the fault of the local authority?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    But is that the fault of the asylum seeker, or rather the fault of the local authority?
    I'm not blaming the asylum seekers. It is the authorities that provide them with these things. But then word gets around, which encourages more asylum seekers to come here because they get loads of free stuff. Really bothers me!!

ReputationRep:
    a mate of mine came up with a theory about Asylum Seekers. If they want to live in our country, they have to fight for her. Hense, when the war between Irack was upon us, they should have signed up to the army.

ReputationRep:
    Why should Britsh citizens also fight for her then to prove their worth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    a mate of mine came up with a theory about Asylum Seekers. If they want to live in our country, they have to fight for her. Hense, when the war between Irack was upon us, they should have signed up to the army.
    Hmmm, it's an idea. But with all the human rights flying around you'd never be able to implement it. And even if you did it would probably be applied to british people too ie, all british men would have a compulsory service to do at some point. And what about female asylum seekers? Sexist I know but that's how it is.

ReputationRep:
    Why should Britsh citizens also fight for her then to prove their worth?
    i ammit that we should fight as well, but we were born here. The sugeestion above was the ones who sneak into the country and want to live here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    i ammit that we should fight as well, but we were born here. The sugeestion above was the ones who sneak into the country and want to live here.
    But just cos we're born here doesn't mean that all of us benefit and care for the country. Why should asylum seekers fight - to prove they care?

ReputationRep:
    But just cos we're born here doesn't mean that all of us benefit and care for the country. Why should asylum seekers fight - to prove they care?
    WHAT BENEFITS. Tony Blair spends more on Asylum Seekers than us. Take a benefit book for college. (this aint word for word)

I am an Asylum Seeker and wish to study here. Can i have benefits. Answer Yes

I am a british citizan and i wish to study here. Can i get benefits. Answer No.

ReputationRep:
    And what about female asylum seekers and those who are very young? It's a tricky one.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.