Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hawk)
    what is this STEP thing?

I'm from Northern Ireland and never heard of it. Is it useful for applications to unviersity for medicne or veterinary?

Any info is appreciated.

PS.

Anyone got a link to a website about it?
    Nah it's just a maths thing, good for cambridge and warwick maths applicants.

ReputationRep:
    the STEP is only for maths, so its not that useful for medicine/veterinary. its like an AEA but only certain unis (cambridge and warwick mainly) that might ask for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hawk)
    what is this STEP thing?

I'm from Northern Ireland and never heard of it. Is it useful for applications to unviersity for medicne or veterinary?

Any info is appreciated.

PS.

Anyone got a link to a website about it?
    Which part of NI are you from?

ReputationRep:
    I have -

P1 resit
    M1 resit
    M2
    M3
    P3

Bio 4
    Bio 5
    Bio 6
    Bio AEA

Chem 4
    Chem 5
    Chem 6
    Chem AEA

PHY4
    PHY5
    PHY6
    Physics practical

works out to something like 28 hours of exams,

hehe, all worth it though, my last exam finishes at 12, then i fly out at 6 to singapore for 2.5 weeks !!!!! yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Exactly. Failing to make the offer is not an option, at all costs I have to get the AAB + STEP. And trust me 2 hours a day spent on STEP would be a huge advantage.At the same time though, how do I go about saying "Yeah sorry for wasting your time with all those exams you coached me with, all that timetable disruption, all those resources I wasted, because I don't need you anymore." Though it really isn't my fault, I was told that Cambridge would not consider economics to be a real Alevel and would expect physics, so I did what seemed best at the time. I was thinking it would be really great if I could use the 2 modules I've done far along with a third AS module, and get an AS in physics, but I don't think this can be done because obviously one of the modules is an A2 module.

It's just frustrating more than anything else, I think maybe the best thing to do would be to just stop going to most of the lessons, if my senior tutor says "why aren't you going to physics?" the answer will be a simple "I cannot afford to not put 100% into maths."
    Not attending lessons can result in you being kicked out. Having said that, their policy of non-attendance is completely barmy. Some guy in my further maths class, he missed all his Maths modules in Jan, and attends roughly 12% of lessons is still attending our college. I got told in confidence, by Mrs Brown that as long as the parents back you up, then there is not much that they can do. His parents have been contacted numerous times, and yet the kid still gets away with it, because both him and his parents claim he is sick. Complete and utter ********, I know it, the college knows it, everyone knows it, yet he gets away with it.

With regards to your physics, they may not agree, but if I where you I wouldn't let them intimidate me, I would just tell them straight that I want to drop the subject, sure, the physics teacher will try and dissuade you, but remain persistent. Tell them the improtance of why, as long as you justify it, and in a polite manner, then you should be released from their tenticles.

Ehh?!? Economics being regarded as 'mickey mouse'. Does this mean that if you dropped physics, they wouldn't factor Economics into the offer? That sounds perpostrous. Try contacting Cambriddge and confirm it, before you make you decisions.

Best Regards.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think economics will be regarded as mickey mouse

ReputationRep:
    I have:

Maths:
    P1 resit
    P2 resit
    P3
    S1 resit
    S2

Chemistry:
    Chains & Rings resit
    Chains, Rings and Specroscopy resit
    Trends & Patterns
    Unifying Concepts

Psychology:
    PYA4
    PYA5

Italian:
    Listening
    Reading & Writing
    Oral Presentation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Not attending lessons can result in you being kicked out. Having said that, their policy of non-attendance is completely barmy. Some guy in my further maths class, he missed all his Maths modules in Jan, and attends roughly 12% of lessons is still attending our college. I got told in confidence, by Mrs Brown that as long as the parents back you up, then there is not much that they can do. His parents have been contacted numerous times, and yet the kid still gets away with it, because both him and his parents claim he is sick. Complete and utter ********, I know it, the college knows it, everyone knows it, yet he gets away with it.

With regards to your physics, they may not agree, but if I where you I wouldn't let them intimidate me, I would just tell them straight that I want to drop the subject, sure, the physics teacher will try and dissuade you, but remain persistent. Tell them the improtance of why, as long as you justify it, and in a polite manner, then you should be released from their tenticles.

Ehh?!? Economics being regarded as 'mickey mouse'. Does this mean that if you dropped physics, they wouldn't factor Economics into the offer? That sounds perpostrous. Try contacting Cambriddge and confirm it, before you make you decisions.

Best Regards.
    I suppose it isn't a good idea to just disappear. Though I think it wouldn't hurt for me to errr use the block for another purpose if I'm getting behind in maths one week. That's insane about the further maths guy though, why would someone like that sign themselves upto further maths in the first place? Did you hear about all the people who were excluded for being rude to the principle? They are excluded but someone who's never in isn't? Btw did you hear they caught the guys who keep setting fire to things?

You think it's best to ask the teacher or my senior tutor?

I don't think they consider it as micky mouse as like sociology or something, but my senior tutor at the time (Ms Morrison) and quite a few others said if I did get an offer from Cambridge, it'd probably exclude economics. In the end though, it didn't at all, and it will be fine for me to use my B in economics as part of the offer.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, seeing as everyone else is doing this, i have:

CP1 (Mechanics & Special Relativity) 2.5h
    CP2 (Introductory Electromagnetism & Circuits) 2.5h
    CP3 (Mathematical Methods) 2.5h
    CP4 (Differential Equations, Waves and Optics) 2.5h

AND EITHER:
    S1 (Functions of a Complex Variable) 1.5h OR
    S2 (Astrophysics) 1.5h OR
    S3 (Quantum Ideas) 1.5h

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it isn't a good idea to just disappear. Though I think it wouldn't hurt for me to errr use the block for another purpose if I'm getting behind in maths one week. That's insane about the further maths guy though, why would someone like that sign themselves upto further maths in the first place? Did you hear about all the people who were excluded for being rude to the principle? They are excluded but someone who's never in isn't? Btw did you hear they caught the guys who keep setting fire to things?

You think it's best to ask the teacher or my senior tutor?

I don't think they consider it as micky mouse as like sociology or something, but my senior tutor at the time (Ms Morrison) and quite a few others said if I did get an offer from Cambridge, it'd probably exclude economics. In the end though, it didn't at all, and it will be fine for me to use my B in economics as part of the offer.
    No, no and no. U6 I presume?

I would speak to Mrs Brown, as she is head of careers and isn't the type of person to bite your head off, and can to some extent be persuaded to your view of thinking. (Don't tell her I said that!) She will be quite bias FOR you, as she would want a student to excel in Maths, after all, she teaches the subject. You could then use her to convince the other tutors, as it is more than likely that they discuss things like this in the somewhat gloomy and stuffy staff rooms, this will serve to loosen the barriers.

Regarding your actual physics teacher, I believe you have to speak to both your senior and subject teacher. I know this, because I dropped Pyscology, as it didn't exactly hold my interest, but I dropped it after 2 weeks, in your case I'm not to sure. If economics is acceptable, then I would drop Physics as it is uneccessary baggage, why tempt fate by spreading your study into more subjects, when it should be focused upon the task at hand, and that is to get into Cambridge with AAB and some Step papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    No, no and no. U6 I presume?

I would speak to Mrs Brown, as she is head of careers and isn't the type of person to bite your head off, and can to some extent be persuaded to your view of thinking. (Don't tell her I said that!) She will be quite bias FOR you, as she would want a student to excel in Maths, after all, she teaches the subject. You could then use her to convince the other tutors, as it is more than likely that they discuss things like this in the somewhat gloomy and stuffy staff rooms, this will serve to loosen the barriers.

Regarding your actual physics teacher, I believe you have to speak to both your senior and subject teacher. I know this, because I dropped Pyscology, as it didn't exactly hold my interest, but I dropped it after 2 weeks, in your case I'm not to sure. If economics is acceptable, then I would drop Physics as it is uneccessary baggage, why tempt fate by spreading your study into more subjects, when it should be focused upon the task at hand, and that is to get into Cambridge with AAB and some Step papers?
    They were actually some excluded kids who returned to induce havoc. Dunno whether they were L6/U6

Yeah Mrs Brown rocks, she actually managed to convince manchester grammar to let me sit in on their STEP coaching lessons. I'll definitely have a word with her.

You're right, cheers.

Many thanks for the advice, and again, congrats.

Night all.

ReputationRep:
    They were actually some excluded kids who returned to induce havoc. Dunno whether they were L6/U6

Yeah Mrs Brown rocks, she actually managed to convince manchester grammar to let me sit in on their STEP coaching lessons. I'll definitely have a word with her.

You're right, cheers.

Many thanks for the advice, and again, congrats.

Night all.
    No probs. Thanks and good night. Oh well, nobody else to talk to.

*Twidle thumbs*

Time to sleep me-thinks.

ReputationRep:
    Which part of NI are you from?
    Co.Down

ReputationRep:
    17 I believe - I take 6 subjects

ReputationRep:
    14 for my 6 subjects + 3 AEAs

ReputationRep:
    Physics One
    Physics Two
    Physics Three

Maths Pure 1
    Maths Pure 2
    Maths Mech 1

Economics 1
    Economics 2
    Economics 3

Computing 1
    Computing 2
    Computing 3

General Studies 1
    General Studies 2
    General Studies 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Physics One
    Physics Two
    Physics Three

Maths Pure 1
    Maths Pure 2
    Maths Mech 1

Economics 1
    Economics 2
    Economics 3

Computing 1
    Computing 2
    Computing 3

General Studies 1
    General Studies 2
    General Studies 3
    are you repeating all your january papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    are you repeating all your january papers?
    I only did 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    I only did 1.
    really? oh ok, what did you get in it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    really? oh ok, what did you get in it?
    Absolutely terrible. 82/100

Definitely re-sitting that.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.