The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

NTU Clifton Campus - New Hall 2013

I'm a student currently staying at New Hall (RY4401) and I've started this thread in order to provide useful information to next year's students, and hopefully answer your questions.New Hall itself is so new that it has only had one person living in the rooms before US so you will be the 3rd person to live in your particular room. The photos on the website don't have any description so when I got here I brought some things that I didn't need. I plan on using Microsoft Photosynth to take a proper one. Bedrooms

TV - There are no aerial sockets in the rooms or kitchen and NO signal from an indoor aerial.

Student Com, the internet provider here, do a TV Service but DO NOT get it, it's a waste of money and doesn't work or have many channels (use www.TVCatchup.com instead, you will still need a TV Licence to watch live TV but only if your laptop is plugged in)

There is a cable hole in the desk and the shelves above it

Ethernet (internet) sockets - You will find a 2 metre Ethernet cable in your room, but this won't reach very far (room is 270cm wide from desk wall to bed wall) so get a cheap Wireless router from ebay and use that as the WiFi they provide is not good. (We have one in our flat and it's much better than Student Com WiFi)

You may have seen 2 Ethernet sockets in the 360 photos but only ONE works. NONE of the sockets in the kitchen currently work either ("It's for future expansion reasons", they say)

Bed

Under bed Storage - You have to lift the mattress up to get to it (dimensions of everything will follow in another post)

Bed Length - The bed is just about 2m long (6.6 ft) as opposed to 6ft of other beds (Get the right sheets!)

En Suite - Overall quite good, except the shower head is fixed in place, no turning it, and the shower curtain will be "sucked" towards you as there's not a lot of space in there and the curtain has an awkward placement.

There is a Toilet Brush provided, along with a waste paper bin in the bedroom.

There is a mirror here and a full length one behind the wardrobe door.

The cistern for the toilet is inaccessible (don't bring Bloo blocks)

It's a wet room, don't bring mats unless they're waterproof

The towel rack in here is not heated

No Sound proofing - the walls are great at keeping the sound of your left and right neighbours out, but the doors are NOT, you can hear the sound of slippers on the hallway carpet from in your room.

This is most evident whilst people above you are having a party, you can hear the music loudly

If your room is behind the stairwell you will also be able to hear people stomping up and down them in the night

No Net Curtains - Especially if you're on the ground floor, find a way of putting some up otherwise you will never have the "blackout"style curtains open and the fluorescent lighting can take it's toll.

General

RFID Locks - the locks on the blocks, flats, and rooms all use an RFID key fob

There is a "latch" on the flat doors that people use to keep the door open. DON'T let them do it! People have just walked into one flat in new hall during a party and taken everything from the kitchen

There is no consistent mobile signal at least on the lower floors, we have to sit by the window to make and recieve a call

Fun Fact: If left without signal for too long, a mobile phone will stop looking for one completely! In this case, you will go the whole day without realising people are trying to get hold of you!(restart you phone if this happens)

The weather will be cold most of the time outside but inside the heating is always on (there is a thermostat on the radiators: 3-4 is a good setting)

Bring Night & Day Nurse - you WILL need it! (I'm not kidding, You WILL!)

Seriously, you will get a cold in the first term!

And, no it's not 'flu, it's a cold

Bring Burn medication/gel/plasters - they take about 3 weeks to heal

To get to ASDA from NTU Clifton take the 4 or 1 bus to county hall then cross the road and take the 10 to ASDA(it's about 10-15 mins, the same as walking to Morrisons and Iceland in Clifton, no bus there)

Getting the Academic Year bus pass for £199 is a MUST, it is put on your student card and gives you unlimited travel. (The scanners on the bus will say 99 days left but that will reset to 99 when it gets to 0, for some reason the display system doesn't like numbers longer than 2 digits)

Look for Morrisons in Clifton on Google street view and around the corner is a farm-foods, Wilkinson etc.

Don't worry if you don't drink, literally half of my flat doesn't and I imagine it's the same in all flats (the drinkers don't want you to know that!)

Take lots of photos and videos of the room before you touch anything! There is a damages form (in the back of the blue booklet they give you) that HAS to be filled in and taken to reception within 24 HOURS of your arrival or you may not get your deposit back!

Any damage done in the stairwell of your block will be divided between all of you (no one will be decent and own up, so don't expect everything back) in the first term alone we had a fire extinguisher stolen and one of the extinguisher's cover glass smashed £5 total each so far.

The washing machine costs £2.20 and the drier £1, Bring LOTS of 20p coins (or 10p coins but no less)!

There is a change machine in the library but that's half way across campus and is temperamental with folded notes, spitting them out.

Also bring Colour Catcher sheets, the machines say don't use them but no one cares.

The fire detectors measure Carbon monoxide, heat, humidity etc. as well as smoke so they will NOT go off if you leave the en-suite open after a shower or spray deoderent

You will have a fire drill only once (probably early in the morning), every other time it's the detectors that set it off, remember you WILL have them but it's probably just a severly smoked out kitchen at 4am (Who does toast at 4am?!)

You WILL be woken up at stupid-o-clock in the morning (about 3-4am) by 'kids' coming back from a night out so good earplugs are ESSENTIAL!

They are usually drunk out of their brains so being on the ground floor can be nerve-racking, don't leave your window open at night and it'll be fine.

There are NO LIFTS, some blocks have only automatic doors on the ground floor to accommodate disabled students (e.g. Daybrook), so hauling heavy cases up the many flights of stairs will be tiring.

Car

There is disabled parking between the blocks and ramps to it if your block is on a different level

It must use those blue badges but i've never seen anyone check, you shouldn't have to pay for a permit though.

If you live away from clifton campus you can get a parking permit (from George Elliot building last time) but not if you live on clifton campus and are not disabled

Of course, they can't stop anyone from bringing a car and parking outside the campus. e.g. in clifton estate.

Kitchen

The fridges can be amazingly cold, so much so that on full some of your food will freeze

Fun Fact: If you get the temperature just right the bubbles in fizzy drinks will freeze leaving the drink as a liquid

There are 6 people in our flat and we have 2 fridge freezers

The kettle and electric Hob (I thought it was induction but it's not) are really slow. (Get yourself a £25 induction hob off amazon to speed things up :biggrin: )

The extractor fan in the kitchen turns itself on automatically when an appliance is used in any socket at the worktop.

Only the light can be turned off manually, and it still makes a noise.

The kitchen is equipped with:

Henry Hoover

Iron

Dustpan & brush

Ironing board

Mop & bucket

Broom

Blue recycling bin - emptied week-daily, no cleaner at weekends

Red waste bin - may not be emptied by cleaner but the colours correspond with the outside bins

Microwave, toaster, kettle

We have 1 oven and hob between 6 of us - 8 and 10 person flats will have 2 or more

Some flats of 8 people may still only have 2 fridge freezers!

The kitchen door has an alarm on it and cannot be left open for too long before it goes off

The microwave will not fit large plates, they will fit in the cupboards, but only on their side.

The drawers in here are centimetres too small for a divider so they are all a mess with cutlery (Dimensions in next post)

Cleaners come every weekday to empty the bin but will clean properly one morning of the week (for us in Ryton (R-block) it's Friday morning)

Get a £1 divider from ASDA for the draining board, you will almost certainly get flatmates leaving plates on there for days on end

You can't have a deep-fat fryer (fire reasons), but if you want a slow cooker you have to sit with it all day 'till it's done. Rice cookers are still fine though, and probably a must have (rice sticks to a pan) unless you have boil in the bag rice (go to Farmfoods or Lidl they're cheaper, rice is rice after all).

Please Rate this post up if you thought it was helpful! Thanks! :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Kitchen drawers
23cm Wide X 42cm Deep (handle side to back) X 6cm High

Kitchen Top Cupboard (3 sections)
It's split into 3 sections, each a slightly different height but i'll list the max and min below.
25cm Wide X 25-30cm high X 27cm Deep

Kitchen Bottom cupboard (2 sections)
Don't forget to check your plate diameter.
25 cm Wide X 24 (top shelf) & 30 cm High X 40 (top shelf) & 45 cm deep

Microwave
Same microwave in most if not all kitchens (does not take big plates, but you could always use them to dish things up on)
27 cm Wide X 17 cm High X 25cm Deep
(edited 11 years ago)
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Kitchen
2013-01-26T23-00-19_6.jpg < The top cupboards 2013-01-26T23-00-19_7.jpg < Drawers 2013-01-26T23-00-19_8.jpg < The bottom cupboards
2013-01-26T23-00-19_9.jpg < The corner cupboard 2013-01-26T23-00-19_5.jpg < Fridge 2013-01-26T23-00-19_4.jpg < Fridge temperature dial 2013-01-26T23-00-19_10.jpg < Kitchen door Alarm
Bedroom
2013-01-26T23-00-19_1.jpg < Top of Bedroom window (nowhere for net curtains) 2013-01-26T23-00-19_2.jpg < Whole window (light is not that bright in reality) 2013-01-26T23-00-18_0.jpg < The ceiling lights used everywhere

Reached photo limit,
Continued on next post...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
2013-01-26T23-00-19_3.jpg < This is what all the windows are like (note the 2 closed positions, tiny gap and completely closed)2013-01-26T23-00-19_11.jpg < The lock and key
Flat Layout.png< Layout of Ryton Flat 44

More Photos...
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8DAGlh3BWTueFpISFBNNWRfcHc&usp=sharing
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Flats

Floor 2 is the "party floor" in all blocks, if you are on that floor be prepared to not get any sleep at all. (I'm not joking it's nearly constant partying at night, their kitchen must be a mess)

(edited 11 years ago)
This is amazing! It's good to hear about it all first hand :smile: I'm hoping to apply to New Hall providing I get an offer.
Reply 6
Original post by GirlAboutTown
This is amazing! It's good to hear about it all first hand :smile: I'm hoping to apply to New Hall providing I get an offer.

Thanks :smile: New Hall is definitely worth the extra money. Peverell is cheap and all but it's not as secure (uses normal keys rather than the electronic system), and it's further away from most of the buildings.
Original post by raingram
Thanks :smile: New Hall is definitely worth the extra money. Peverell is cheap and all but it's not as secure (uses normal keys rather than the electronic system), and it's further away from most of the buildings.

Thank you for being so detailed, at least I can be prepared! That's really bad about the phone signal, I think I might try to get a room on one of the higher floors which could perhaps help? In general though it does sound like a great place to live.

Would you say the social side of things are as good as living on the city campus? That's the only thing I'm worried about as I don't want to miss out!
Reply 8
While nothing can beat having the city on your doorstep, the number of times i've been kept up by one party or another suggests that the nightlife is just as good as the city. You would also have the student union bar <5 mins away! They have something on most of the time and you have these flyers come under the door all the time.ImageUploadedByStudent Room1359447673.840713.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I'm really interested in living in New Hall, I visited last year and it just looks so much safer. However I've just seen something about no parking or cars allowed, is this just in terms of parking in campus? Could I park in the village? I'm classed as disabled and a car would be a lot of help, especially in terms of returning home for hospital appointments and things. I'd really appreciate your help.
Reply 10
Original post by amy1910
I'm really interested in living in New Hall, I visited last year and it just looks so much safer. However I've just seen something about no parking or cars allowed, is this just in terms of parking in campus? Could I park in the village? I'm classed as disabled and a car would be a lot of help, especially in terms of returning home for hospital appointments and things. I'd really appreciate your help.

I've added a section to the original post, but there is disabled parking, it's only non-disabled people that can't have a car (unless they don't live in new hall, in which case they will need a permit).
You will see the bays when you drop your stuff off on the first day.
Reply 11
Original post by raingram
I've added a section to the original post, but there is disabled parking, it's only non-disabled people that can't have a car (unless they don't live in new hall, in which case they will need a permit).
You will see the bays when you drop your stuff off on the first day.

Oh right okay, well thankyou for your help. How about parking elsewhere? In terms of in the city centre or somewhere else in the village of Clifton? Does accepting a room at New Hall mean you simply can't park on campus or you can't park anywhere in Nottingham?
Reply 12
Original post by amy1910
Oh right okay, well thankyou for your help. How about parking elsewhere? In terms of in the city centre or somewhere else in the village of Clifton? Does accepting a room at New Hall mean you simply can't park on campus or you can't park anywhere in Nottingham?

The university has no jurisdiction outside of the campus, they can't tell you not to park somewhere unless it's inside uni grounds. You can still bring a car if you're not disabled, you just have to find somewhere outside of uni to park it. But if you are disabled then you just park in the bays next to your block.
Would you recommend New Hall? :smile:
My course is on Clifton Campus but I'm trying to decide whether I should live in the city or not.
I just don't want to feel cut off and not part of the social side of uni if I'm not in the city!
Reply 14
Cant decide between an en-suite at New Hall or a Studio Flat... Any tips or ideas to help me along the way?
Reply 15
Original post by katehwalts
Would you recommend New Hall? :smile:
My course is on Clifton Campus but I'm trying to decide whether I should live in the city or not.
I just don't want to feel cut off and not part of the social side of uni if I'm not in the city!

The Social side of Uni is only in the city for city students, there's plenty of stuff to do on Clifton campus, and it only takes 20-30 mins to get to the city anyway. So as long as you know the time of the event you'll be fine.

Just remember, if you live in the city and your lessons are in Clifton, you really won't want to get the bus every day and night. Being able to just walk back to new hall for lunch between lessons will save you a lot of money on food.
(City accommodation isn't as good as new hall anyway :biggrin:)
Reply 16
Original post by deanna.gl
Cant decide between an en-suite at New Hall or a Studio Flat... Any tips or ideas to help me along the way?

One of my friends here in my flat is 21 and she was deciding whether to go studio or en-suite as well. She's glad she picked en-suite because it's much more social than a studio flat. You'll find it a LOT easier to make friends and settle in here if you go for en-suite. Just remember to clear up the kitchen after you use it or you'll make a few enemies as well :tongue: (no one likes to wake up to mouldy party mess a week later).
(edited 11 years ago)
I really really love this post! So detailed and gives you all the information not just the 'good stuff' from the NTU website thank you!

I've received an unconditional offer and will be starting NTU this year and New Halls are my first choice to live it looks like the best out of all the halls.

I haven't managed to find any good pictures of the bathrooms though - how do you mean they are a 'wet' room? Is the unmovable shower head an issue or is it generally pointed in the right direction?

Also how many floors are in New Halls? I am not planning on picking the first floor rooms generally because of the noise and privacy issues but I would like to work out the best room to pick..

Thank you very much for all this helpful info!
Reply 18
Does anyone know how many people you have to share the kitchens with at New Hall, and the number of people per flat?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad app
Reply 19
Thank you for such a helpful post!
It's brilliant knowing the dimensions for everything so we know exactly what to bring.
I got an unconditional offer for Chinese and IR and will definitely pick New Hall. Very excited to move in now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending