Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Is it just me or are terrorists making everyone else extremists? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am just wondering if anyone has had a major shift in their political views since the recent upswing in terrorism and or the increased media coverage. Personally I feel that the terrorists are hurting not only themselves but islamic people as a whole because they are making governments into extremists. I know that my personal opinions have become more conservative and I am moving farther right with every attack. is it the same case for you?

ReputationRep:
    As a secularist, my views are unaffected by Islamic terrorism (although we have to wait and see as to whether Madrid was Eta or some other group). It simply proves that religion is a danger to the world, and that we should always remain vigilant against dogma.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommorris)
    As a secularist, my views are unaffected by Islamic terrorism (although we have to wait and see as to whether Madrid was Eta or some other group). It simply proves that religion is a danger to the world, and that we should always remain vigilant against dogma.
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    I am just wondering if anyone has had a major shift in their political views since the recent upswing in terrorism and or the increased media coverage. Personally I feel that the terrorists are hurting not only themselves but islamic people as a whole because they are making governments into extremists. I know that my personal opinions have become more conservative and I am moving farther right with every attack. is it the same case for you?
    That is one of the purposes of terrorism. They want to make polarise people: persuade people to assume all muslims are terrorists or terrorist supporters, so that muslims feel threatened and see terrorists as their protectors/avengers. Mutatis mutandis, it's the way all terrorists work.
    Keep a sense of perspective: far more people are killed by motorists, tobacco companies, the effects of alcohol etc than by terrorists. The main effect- and the intended effect- of terrorism is psychological rather than physical.

ReputationRep:
    I think you have to wait another decade or so for it to come out..Who initiated it,etc.
    (If you can wait for that long that is... )

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.