Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have a slight dilemma, I don't know what I want to study at university, either veterinary medicine or medicine.

I have always wanted to be a vet and enjoy working with and helping animals, and I feel I would really enjoy being vet. I don't think I would ever get fed up with being a vet, it seems so interesting and challenging.

I also wouldn't mind being a doctor; I was watching a documentary the other night on brain surgery and found it very inspiring.
    I mainly seem to be interested in the surgery side of each career and I feel that as a vet your limited to a certain extent, i.e. you don't exactly get many heart transplants with animals etc.

I really don't know.

On one hand, I enjoy working with animals and would love to be a vet, but then I wonder if I could get into a veterinary course?
    It’s so competitive, even with 3 As predicted you still don't necessarily get an offer.
    Whereas with medicine it’s slightly easier to get a place as there are far more universities that offer it.

I have been on 2 weeks work experience at a veterinary practice and really enjoyed it.
    I don't know whether to make my 4 choices for veterinary, and maybe get rejected by them and be left with some backup course which I wouldn't be satisfied with, when if I had chosen medicine I might have gotten an offer.

Has anyone else been in this situation and been 'torn' between two courses?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Choose the one in which you think you will be happiest. Surely, even if this is the more difficult option, it is your future and you will work towards it and hopefully achieve your goals.

ReputationRep:
    Do some work experience in both fields until you're confident of whihc you like better

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.