3. Critically assess the strengths and weaknesses of pluralism as a theory of power.

Watch
marinemike
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
any ideas? internet and library has been fairly useless to me.
I can explain well what pluralism is, i could probably find a short history of it -but i cant find any decent info on + and - of it. I'm encouraged to criticise it from the view of elitists and marxists also,.
thanks for any ideas...
Lemonsoul
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Talk about how it is not entirely realistic? The disadvantages of pluralism would be the advantages of elitism and vice-versa. Mention how the involvement of money in the political system undermines it. Pluralism relies on pressure groups, I think, so you could talk about how pg's are not comprehensive, how few people get involved with pg's etc. Give examples of how ordinary people are isolated from the political process, often not consulted by government, don't even bother to vote at elections, stuff like that?
marinemike
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
cheers, excellent suggestions
love2learn
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You could look at how practical it is - e.g. it could lead to disputes etc.

But pluralism will also mean that a greater variety of views are represented, and also the government should be more representative of its electorate

Edit: Thought of another disadvantage - it means that extremists are represented and have some power. Think BNP etc. in the UK
c0nfus3d
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
SOMEONE please help me! quote me for this question and help!
c0nfus3d
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
???????????????????????????????? ??
BBorham
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Negatives;X If God is truly onmnibenevolent and wants the salvation of the whole world why would he create a criteria of salvation which is only open to some? It seems particularly cruel of God to send to hell pious, morally upright people who lived before Jesus.X If God is truly infinite and eternal then surely no one can understand him and no one religion can claim complete access to the truth.X D'Costa makes the point that exclusivism ignores the idea of the Trinity. To say that God can only be known through Jesus is binatarian because it ignores the role of the Trinity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads