Replying to UCAS - confused about offers! Watch

username996405
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I received five conditional offers from all the universities I applied to but I'm confused as to which ones I should decline.
I know it's my decision ultimately, but I just wanted some advice.
My offers:
University of Manchester - Law LLB (AAA)
University of Lancaster - International Law LLB (AAA)
University of Leeds - Law LLB (AAA)
University of Liverpool - Law LLB (ABB)
University of Salford - Law LLB (BBB)

ALRIGHT, so my problem is that obviously, I can only choose two; firm and insurance and decline the rest but it's such a hard decision to make.

Manchester and Lancaster are my top two choices and I love both uni's dearly as I've visited both and felt comfortable in both too. But the entry requirements are evidently very high and it's useful to have a back-up, in my case, Liverpool.
Now, I'm wondering, because my grades are very very unpredictable (I get A's in one exam, D's/U's in another) is it too risky if I choose Manchester and Lancaster and decline the rest?
Or should I choose between Manchester or Lancaster, and keep Liverpool as my back-up?
I don't really have any intention to go to Liverpool, Leeds or Salford, but the back-up thing is important!

What do I do? I really can't choose! A part of me knows if I resit some of my low grade exams in June, I'll be able to scrape A's and the other is mentally prepared for B grades!

Please help.
Aries1992
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ok choose Manchester as your firm and your lowest offer as your insurance. The whole point of an insurance is that if you don't get the grades you'll still be going to Uni.

Alternatively you can pick your top two choices an if you don't get the grades apply through clearing.

It's not meant to be a risky choose you should be smart about it and not depend on clearing really but it's up to you

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
username996405
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aries1992)
Ok choose Manchester as your firm and your lowest offer as your insurance. The whole point of an insurance is that if you don't get the grades you'll still be going to Uni.

Alternatively you can pick your top two choices an if you don't get the grades apply through clearing.

It's not meant to be a risky choose you should be smart about it and not depend on clearing really but it's up to you

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Liverpool has a pretty low grade boundary. I can manage one A grade, I'd like to think. :eek:

Edit: Doesn't matter about telling me more about clearing; I'm reading it on UCAS.

Thanks.
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mochassassin)
I received five conditional offers from all the universities I applied to but I'm confused as to which ones I should decline.
I know it's my decision ultimately, but I just wanted some advice.
My offers:
University of Manchester - Law LLB (AAA)
University of Lancaster - International Law LLB (AAA)
University of Leeds - Law LLB (AAA)
University of Liverpool - Law LLB (ABB)
University of Salford - Law LLB (BBB)

is it too risky if I choose Manchester and Lancaster and decline the rest?
Yes it is too risky

If you get AAB then an AAA Firm may still want you, but, if they reject you, an AAA Insurance is unlikely to accept you

Since the Firm would think "we wanted him, he wanted us, he is close to grades ... ok" whereas the Insurance will be thinking "he did not really want us let us look again at the near miss Firms we have"
Knalchemist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Firm Manchester or Lancaster.

Insurance Liverpool or Salford.

Look at the courses, accommodation, rent prices, events, societies and sports etc for both Man and LAN, then go from there. You have until May 8th I believe to reply anyway.
username996405
Rep:
?
(Original post by TenOfThem)
Yes it is too risky

If you get AAB then an AAA Firm may still want you, but, if they reject you, an AAA Insurance is unlikely to accept you

Since the Firm would think "we wanted him, he wanted us, he is close to grades ... ok" whereas the Insurance will be thinking "he did not really want us let us look again at the near miss Firms we have"
Thanks!

I've decided to wait a while, think some more and then choose between Manchester and Lancaster.
I can't risk it!
username996405
Rep:
?
(Original post by Knalchemist)
Firm Manchester or Lancaster.

Insurance Liverpool or Salford.

Look at the courses, accommodation, rent prices, events, societies and sports etc for both Man and LAN, then go from there. You have until May 8th I believe to reply anyway.
Exactly what I'm going to do! Thank you!
I've checked everything out, haha. I'll go for Manchester...even though International Law at Lancaster sounds so enticing and exciting. :dontknow:

May 8th - yep, you're right!
username996405
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I know this message is a year late but for any of you who still bother checking old threads, I ended up having Lancaster as my firm and Liverpool as my insurance. I went to Lancaster but dropped out. Restarting again.

Hope you all got into the uni you wanted to!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (35)
25.18%
No (104)
74.82%

Watched Threads