The Student Room Group

Malta University Medicine 2013-2014

Hi guys

I pretty much read every single post in the previous post regarding UoM from last year and i thought I'd make a new one for this year. Just to make this clear now, there are no tuition fees for EU applicants.

So far from the previous post it's pretty obvious that if you're applying to do Medicine at UoM using your A Levels then you need at least a grade B in Biology and Chemistry and another B in either Accounting, Applied Mathematics (Mechanics), Arabic, Computing, Economics, Engineering Drawing and Graphical Communication, English, French, Geography, German, Greek, History, Information Technology, Italian, Latin, Maltese, Philosophy, Physics, Psychology, Pure Mathematics, Religious Knowledge, Russian, Sociology and Spanish.

Note that your A level must be achieved all together withing the 2 A level years. For example if you get BBC and wanted to resit the C then you have to retake all your three A levels again so that results are achieved together.

Moving on to myself and the application, I've just submitted my application and paid the fees of 95 euros and all the documents been sent to them.

I'm a biomedical science graduate with a 2:1, and my A levels were ABB and A in AS. I've put all my results on the application and sent all my certificates except my A levels, but i'm gona ring the office tomorrow and ask if they want me to send my A levels results especially that i'm applying using my degree.
I have pretty good history of hospital work experience here in the UK and outside the UK when I went on holidays I managed to get at least a few days of shadowing doctors in forein hospitals.

I don't know what my chances are to get in but even if they were very low, i'm still giving it ago and it definitely won't be the end of the road for me as i will be trying somewhere else, I just don't give up on my dreams :biggrin: I know things didn't go my way during my A levels but hey it's not the end of the world.

Guys feel free to post anything on here as I will be calling the international admission office tomorrow morning to ask about my A levels results and whether or not i need to send them..

Good luck to all of you
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was thinking of applying.
but I'm not sure how I'd fund myself? With regards to accommodation etc?
Reply 2
I think the university accommodation can be as much as 2700 euros! Depends on your way of living

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im applying with a predicted degree of a 2:1 or 1st in biomed part time in the evening however I work full time in finance. However my alevels dont meet the exact requirements but I also have a pre med certificate which should cover this. Hopefully this should be okay and also the added benefit that I wouldnt need to sort out accommodation and could fund myself as I have worked full time for 4 years as there is no funding for living costs. Good luck everyone
Reply 4
So far from the previous post it's pretty obvious that if you're applying to do Medicine at UoM using your A Levels then you need at least a grade B in Biology and Chemistry and another B in either Accounting, Applied Mathematics (Mechanics), Arabic, Computing, Economics, Engineering Drawing and Graphical Communication, English, French, Geography, German, Greek, History, Information Technology, Italian, Latin, Maltese, Philosophy, Physics, Psychology, Pure Mathematics, Religious Knowledge, Russian, Sociology and Spanish.

Hi Guys

Just picking up on the introductory post.

A couple of things which need clarification. The UoM states grades B for Chemistry and Biology but there is a converter table which states grade 'B' in Maltese exams is equivalent to grade A at A level ie you need grades 'A's' for both Chemistry and Biology to match the grade B stated on their site.
Also under general requirements you are also required to have passed a language (English is permissable) to at least AS level.

It's confusing because the conversion table and the general requirements are in different sections of the website. I have however phoned the university and had the above confirmed. If you don't have a language to at least AS you cannot apply to any course at UoM!

Minimum A grades in both Biology and Chemistry.

Not surprising really/ The language thing is a bit of a bu..er though. My son is the potential medic in my household and he is studying Biol, Chem, Psychology & Economics - so no UoM for him!
Reply 5
Original post by Ptl02911

Hi Guys

Just picking up on the introductory post.

A couple of things which need clarification. The UoM states grades B for Chemistry and Biology but there is a converter table which states grade 'B' in Maltese exams is equivalent to grade A at A level ie you need grades 'A's' for both Chemistry and Biology to match the grade B stated on their site.
Also under general requirements you are also required to have passed a language (English is permissable) to at least AS level.

It's confusing because the conversion table and the general requirements are in different sections of the website. I have however phoned the university and had the above confirmed. If you don't have a language to at least AS you cannot apply to any course at UoM!

Minimum A grades in both Biology and Chemistry.

Not surprising really/ The language thing is a bit of a bu..er though. My son is the potential medic in my household and he is studying Biol, Chem, Psychology & Economics - so no UoM for him!

It says from october 2014 onwards http://www.um.edu.mt/registrar/regulations/general/comparibility/comparability-grades-uk-matsec
Reply 6
I spoke to the admission office this morning and they confirmed that even though I'm applying using my degree, I still need to put my A level results and gcse because they'll look at at everything, failure to do so will result in your application being delayed! As for the language on as level, it doesn't necessarily have to be a language and could be any humanity subject, if you're unsure about the subject then best thing is to contact the admission office and ask them whether the subject counts or not!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Looks like almost all of the non-Maltese applicants are graduates! I'm applying as well. I'd be interested to know how long it will take for them to get back to me.
Reply 8
Original post by Costa_89
I think the university accommodation can be as much as 2700 euros! Depends on your way of living

2700 euros per year? That's not a whole lot.
Reply 9
Well I asked them how long it'll take and she said she couldn't give me a time range because they have to go and evaluate our results and compare them before they get back to us! Yeah the Uni accommodation are only 2700 which is way cheaper than here in the uk and Malta is so cheap so you'll definitely be able to live in 200 euros a month for food, travel and leisure but bare in mind that doesn't include accommodation, books or flights

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi
from what I have gathered from the previous thread , I presume that graduates need not have a language at As Or A levels. Am getting a bit confused now after reading recent posts on this threads. can anyone who had applied as a graduate and been offered a place please clarify if they had language at AS or A level. Did any graduate get a place without a language or humanity at AS/A level.
Reply 11
Original post by Costa_89
...Malta is so cheap so you'll definitely be able to live in 200 euros a month for food, travel and leisure but bare in mind that doesn't include accommodation, books or flights

Well, the table (http://www.um.edu.mt/int-eu/international/livingcosts) on the UoM says it's about 935 euros/month in total. 200 euros a month isn't going to cut it for food, travel and leisure I'm afraid.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
I've sent my application off as a graduate and the admission lady said I have to submit all my results from gcses all the way to Uni! That doesn't mean they gona look at them but they still want you to send them! As for the language she said its up to the faculty when they look at your application but from the previous thread, most people said you didn't need the language at as level!

900 euros is bit too much because Malta is cheaper than here and it used to cost me around 250 pounds a month living in halls but that's not including accommodation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Monco
Well, the table (http://www.um.edu.mt/int-eu/international/livingcosts) on the UoM says it's about 935 euros/month in total. 200 euros a month isn't going to cut it for food, travel and leisure I'm afraid.

I agree Ive been going to Malta for last 8 years and 200 euros isnt enough for Food and leisure and travel. Unless you want to live on Noodles and not much else. Food isnt overly cheap as its an island so is imported. I would say budget around 400- 500 euros to cover everything you will need if you want to go out and have a social life. Travel is cheap if you can get a residents card its even cheaper.
Reply 14
Well I assumed food will be cheaper than here but I guess you know better because you been going there for long! I mean 500 euros a month is acceptable for living in a different county

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im lucky go there a couple of times a year as have free accomodation its not as cheap as you would hope. Only thing is is if you smoke its a lot cheaper. Buses are Arriva and if you can get a residence card its less than 2 euros a day which is so cheap coming from commuting of 15 pound a day minimum. Drinks depends where you go paceville is cheap but going to some of the better clubs its cheaper than London but not cheap by any stretch. Have you finished your degree?
Reply 16
The goodies of having a free accommodation there lol! I mainly thought they don't pay as much tax as we do but never crossed my head that they actually import everything, and now I understand why things aren't as cheap. So did you study there or just regular visits? Yeah I graduated from biomed in July

Posted from TSR Mobile
I visit as family has a flat there so its pretty handy. Anything like Cadburies etc has to come in via sea or air. Its a small island but really nice.

I finish in April but have done my degree part time and worked full time which has been hard but worth it I hope.
Reply 18
Original post by Livingmydreams
Hi
from what I have gathered from the previous thread , I presume that graduates need not have a language at As Or A levels. Am getting a bit confused now after reading recent posts on this threads. can anyone who had applied as a graduate and been offered a place please clarify if they had language at AS or A level. Did any graduate get a place without a language or humanity at AS/A level.

No, graduates do not need the language requirement, but you do need to include your A Levels & GCSEs (or equivalents) on the application form, otherwise it will just delay an admissions decision. They will simply ask you submit them.
Reply 19
Just a very general advice about housing....

Please do your research well. Don't only consider the University Residence. It is expensive, far and can be very noisy, although it is great for meeting other (ERASMUS/international) students. Many of the Maltese commute from home, because the island is so small.

I would personally advise looking into at flats near the school. Nothing beats a 4 min walk to school especially for those 8AM lectures and those odd breaks during the day (both of which you WILL have). You can get a lot more for your money and even more if you decide to share. I'm not explicitly saying don't consider the residence... I'm just advising that you look into other options as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending