Here are some model answers to the M3 thread
Attached files
callum Honisett
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So how do people think they did?

Was it a hard paper or did I have a bad day? Had C4 and FP1 first which put me in the wrong mindset I think. Personally thought it was tougher than June '12.
R4MBO
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by callum Honisett)
So how do people think they did?

Was it a hard paper or did I have a bad day? Had C4 and FP1 first which put me in the wrong mindset I think. Personally thought it was tougher than June '12.
I also had c4 which I thought was pretty standard, even though I did terribly. As for m3 i actually thought it was fairly simple, no questions really requiring you to use much thought, and a lot where you could be sure of the correct answer as they asked a lot of 'show that' questions. Im predicting similar boundaries for jan 12:

75=100
70=90
65=80.

How did the rest of you find it?
RichCooper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Arsey)
Here are some model answers to the M3 thread
Thank you!
In question 4b, I'm fairly sure v^2 = 22ag/25 though? Might be a mistake in the cancelling!
R4MBO
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RichCooper)
Thank you!
In question 4b, I'm fairly sure v^2 = 22ag/25 though? Might be a mistake in the cancelling!
I also remember getting the same answer for v^2. How did you find the paper?
RichCooper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I thought it was a fairly good paper, looking through it again I think it's gone quite well although I've lost a few marks in places I didn't think to check at the end! Like assuming the SHM question wanted the distance from O and not B, and not taking into account the EPE at M in the very last question

Posted from TSR Mobile
und
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I thought M was the centre of oscillation in subsequent motion under SHM for the last question. :doh: Other than that it was fine, but that's six marks for one mistake that could have been avoided quite easily had I read the question properly.

Would I be right in assuming this is zero marks due to various incorrect assumptions? I wish I could salvage one or two marks but due to how weird and wrong my working out is I'm just going to assume it's a big fat zero.

\frac{d^{2}x}{dx^2}=\frac{4039}{  45}cos{\omega t}\Rightarrow \frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{4039}{45 \omega}sin{\omega t}

x=-0.07cos{\omega t}\Rightarrow \frac{dx}{dt}=0.07\omega sin{\omega t}

\Rightarrow \frac{4039}{45\omega}=0.07\omega \Rightarrow \omega=35.8081... \Rightarrow v=v_{max}=0.07\omega=2.51 ms^{-1}

I was so proud of that as well. :rolleyes:
Mastermind2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This paper was much better than the june 2012 paper, but harder than the jan 2012 paper by some margin. Do people agree?Arsey (or anyone else), I got a different answer to the very last part of the last question, but I'm pretty sure the method was correct(energy considerations). Roughly how many marks will I lose on that? I think I got at least 67/75. Will that be enough for 73/100 UMS, or are we expecting very high boundaries? Thanks
tornzy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are these answers definitely correct? Because if they are........ I flopped reallll bad . And it wasn't even a hard paper :/
Pitfak
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you!
looks like it is just a cancelling error; Should be 22ag/25
IndyJK9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I made a few mistakes because I had a permanent brain block the whole exam, but considering, it doesn't look to have gone too badly. Maybe lost 5 marks give or take a couple depending on how harsh they punish the errors. All but one were maths or calculator errors. I seemed to have an inability to think straight.
DJMayes
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Was extremely paranoid about my answers coming out of the exam but they completely (Except getting  v^2 = \frac{22}{25}ag ) match up with yours!
runningraccoon
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For the last question I misread the question and modelled it as SHM on a vertical string, so 15 marks have gone there
soempty
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Had a massive timing issue, guess would need to retake this if <75 ums.
Mastermind2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What does everyone think the grade boundaries will be? I reckon the following:
A*- 69/75
A- 63/75
B- 56/75
Varkid
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If for the last part of the ask question, I forgot the strings had e.p.e at M, so said they lost all e.p.e how many marks would I lose?
Also got 22/25 ga for that other question too
Lili94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
for question 5b was there a similar method involving cos instead of sin? i used cos and although i didn't get the same answer do you think i will get any marks?
RichCooper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As long as the forces are resolved correctly, you could've used either angle! I took my angle to be the one next to the particle as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
DJMayes
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As long as the forces are resolved correctly, you could've used either angle! I took my angle to be the one next to the particle as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
We're talking about SHM motion, not resolving forces.
Cellar Door
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This went better than I thought it would

Quite an easy paper I thought, at least compared to the others.

I think I got the first 6 questions mostly right, except for maybe 1 accuracy mistake so maybe dropped 3 marks on that...

Then I think I got all the method marks on the last question, and maybe the right answer to part c), can't remember, so hopefully I dropped another 3 marks or so there...

Hopefully that'll be about 90%?

I did C4 then M3 one after the other and actually found M3 a lot easier oddly :s
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (145)
17.64%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9%
No I am happy with my course choice (485)
59%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (118)
14.36%

Watched Threads