The Student Room Group

How did your Orals go - Spanish

I just wanted to set this up, so you can all discuss how your orals went. I am taking my spanish on the 10th and so will put my experiences up later.

In the mean time, which part did you find the hardest, and how did you find it in general. Also do you wish you prepared more, and which set's and roleplays did you get, did you get the topics you revised the most, or did you ironically get the ones you least revised for. I am hoping to get the environment becuase it is my favorite but i have an entrinsic feeling it wont come up-lol

Scroll to see replies

I'm slightly different because I'm an A2 student doing GCSE Spanish on the side and I've only been learning it since September, but I had my oral yesterday, so I'll join in anyway :smile: I thought it went reasonably well, much better than I was expecting. I got a pretty easy role play card (10) on why I haven't written to my penfriend for a while, what I think of exams, 2 plans for the summer with friends and 2 advantages of going back to school in September. I got through my presentation without forgetting anything. My conversation topics were leisure and home life. To be honest, I didn't really have any favourites because I didn't preapre much for any of them, other than looking over the questions the night before, but I was so relieved not to get environment because I hate that one! My teacher said I probably got an A.
Reply 2
My oral is on Tuesday. :afraid: as well as everything else, I'm doubly nervous that I would start speaking in German in the middle of it.

kellywood_5
I'm slightly different because I'm an A2 student doing GCSE Spanish on the side and I've only been learning it since September, but I had my oral yesterday, so I'll join in anyway :smile: I thought it went reasonably well, much better than I was expecting. I got a pretty easy role play card (10) on why I haven't written to my penfriend for a while, what I think of exams, 2 plans for the summer with friends and 2 advantages of going back to school in September. I got through my presentation without forgetting anything. My conversation topics were leisure and home life. To be honest, I didn't really have any favourites because I didn't preapre much for any of them, other than looking over the questions the night before, but I was so relieved not to get environment because I hate that one! My teacher said I probably got an A.

Environment? WTF? We haven't done anything on that at all.... I wouldn't be able to say why I hadn't written to a penfriend for a while, either..... :bawling:
Excalibur
Environment? WTF? We haven't done anything on that at all.... I wouldn't be able to say why I hadn't written to a penfriend for a while, either..... :bawling:

Sorry, didn't mean to scare you! Environment is just the one where you have questions like describe your town/house, what is there for young people to do in your town, what would you do to improve the environment etc etc. For the role play question, you had to explain that you hadn't written for a while because you were busy with exams. I messed it up a bit because I forgot to put the negative in :rolleyes: but what I said was 'lo siento que te he escribido recientemente, pero he sido muy ocupada con mis estudios para mis examenes'. That could be totally wrong though!
Reply 4
kelly wow only since september, thats reallys somthing to be proud of, because i have been learning spanish since year 7 and your probably better than me.
Reply 5
Hobbesian
kelly wow only since september, thats reallys somthing to be proud of, because i have been learning spanish since year 7 and your probably better than me.

yeah i can so relate Kelly..im in the same situation..well similar cos im an AS student whos only been doing Spanish since September too :smile:
My oral is Friday and i started revision like Friday night..do you rekon thats enough lol? i mean 1 week? Cos i had my French oral The Friday before so until then i was still in "French Mode" if u can call it that lol

well anyway so far i know 1 1/2 topics...Im really nervous and im expecting/hoping for an A*/A but will be happy with a B/A cos i know ive only done it in a year. So yeah just hope i dont start speaking French during it :p:

Hope everyones Orals go good :biggrin:
Hobbesian

I doubt it, but thanks :smile:
AmyGrace
My oral is Friday and i started revision like Friday night..do you rekon thats enough lol? i mean 1 week? well anyway so far i know 1 1/2 topics...Im really nervous and im expecting/hoping for an A*/A but will be happy with a B/A cos i know ive only done it in a year. So yeah just hope i dont start speaking French during it :p:

Well, apart from learning my presenation, which I did a week before, I literally started revising the night before and my teacher thinks I got an A, so I'd say a week was definitely enough. I didn't know the topics in much detail either, all I did was look through the questions and write out answers to all of them, again the night before. I was actually very impressed that I didn't speak any French at all during the exam :smile: I did it a lot in my practice!
I had mine on thursday. I got a quite easy roleplay, number 12, where I had to talk about my daily routine and school. My presentation went ok because I'd spent ages trying to learn it. I had to talk about education and work and leisure for my general conversation, I didn't do much preperation for this and as a result I think I messed up a couple of tenses but my teacher said I did alright. Just don't panic about it and you'll do fine :rolleyes:
Mine was on Friday!

Everything way fine!

The day before, however, there was a firebell (fault) and the people had to be evacuated from the oral.

...some harsh words were said afterwards, the engineers shouldn't have been messing around in the middle of SATs and GCSEs.
Reply 10
my orals were alright i guess. i had the restaurant roleplay for B and a sports equipment renting for C... and my "unpredictable" topic was media and communication (i think? they asked about tv and books and stuff)
Well, I'm an AS student who's been doing GCSE Spanish technically since October... except... I don't take any lessons, and I've barely done any work. I've done about 24 hours' work in the last however many months. Kinda regretting it, oral in about 10 hours :p: it'll be fine though. Everything will be fiiiinnnnneeeeee. Please be fine. Please.

Oh yeah, and it doesn't look like I'm sleeping much (at all) tonight so woohoo! This was meant to be to do homework and revision, and I've done nothing! :frown: Damn my lack of motivation!

Edit: my presentation is on el intercambio alemán, and I started speaking in German during my Spanish mock. :redface: Oopsie. Ah, to hell with it, going to learn my presentation (haven't yet), do homework, get maybe 5 seconds' sleep and do the rest of it tomorrow. Wish me luck... well you can't, you'll mostly be in school, but tell me how much you would've wished me luck if you'd been here when you get back. :smile:
Reply 12
generalebriety
Well, I'm an AS student who's been doing GCSE Spanish technically since October... except... I don't take any lessons, and I've barely done any work. I've done about 24 hours' work in the last however many months. Kinda regretting it, oral in about 10 hours :p: it'll be fine though. Everything will be fiiiinnnnneeeeee. Please be fine. Please.

Oh yeah, and it doesn't look like I'm sleeping much (at all) tonight so woohoo! This was meant to be to do homework and revision, and I've done nothing! :frown: Damn my lack of motivation!

Edit: my presentation is on el intercambio alemán, and I started speaking in German during my Spanish mock. :redface: Oopsie. Ah, to hell with it, going to learn my presentation (haven't yet), do homework, get maybe 5 seconds' sleep and do the rest of it tomorrow. Wish me luck... well you can't, you'll mostly be in school, but tell me how much you would've wished me luck if you'd been here when you get back. :smile:

Hope You did well and it went ok :wink:
xx
Reply 13
just did my A2 oral . AGHH:eek: ... i 'm not sure how it went... i sort of panicked, so i think i didn't do great, oh well, i'll have to work for my read and writing... btw i do spanish... and at my college we an interpretation... so basically you have to interpret from english to spanish and the other way around..
i also did french a2 and that was suave:rolleyes: ... thank i can speak it!

yeah, um ... so that was me....:smile:
AmyGrace
Hope You did well and it went ok :wink:
xx

Thanks. :smile: It did actually go well, although it could've gone much better - hardest possible roleplay and conversation topics, and it was late in the day, so I was tired. Bit annoyed about that. Still, I got B/A (the teacher reckons), so can't complain too much!
Reply 15
what did the role play ask you to do, i usually find the roleplay the easiest
generalebriety
Thanks. :smile: It did actually go well, although it could've gone much better - hardest possible roleplay and conversation topics, and it was late in the day, so I was tired. Bit annoyed about that. Still, I got B/A (the teacher reckons), so can't complain too much!

Well done :smile: I was in a very similar situation as far as only doing it since September and not having any lessons is concerned, and I also got bugger all sleep the night before. It went quite well though and apparently should be an A. Glad there are other crazy people out there and not just me :wink:
had edexcel as spanish oral on thursday, went well (i hope) but i accidently swore at the beginning :-)
asanonymous
had edexcel as spanish oral on thursday, went well (i hope) but i accidently swore at the beginning :-)

Would you be able to tell me what kind of C role play you got? I am wetting myself thinking about it because I am imagining myself in a worst case scenario, where I don't know the keyword to the role play and just sit there in silence.... :afraid:
Excalibur
Would you be able to tell me what kind of C role play you got? I am wetting myself thinking about it because I am imagining myself in a worst case scenario, where I don't know the keyword to the role play and just sit there in silence.... :afraid:

you must be on a diff exam board, cos edexcel dont do role play- just a presentation and questions about that particular topic.

Latest