The Student Room Group

Exam Centres for a Private Candidate (Urgent)

Hi guys!

Ever since yesterday I have called numerous schools/colleges and Sixth Forms in the Croydon area and the majority don't seem to accept Private candidates, even those who will be sitting the same exams as I! :eek:

The few that do accept candidates are charging close to £90-100+ PER PAPER, not A-Level but module! I will struggle to pay that as I will be paying for all the exam costs myself.

At first I wanted to avoid travelling but now I guess I have to consider it, can any of you guys recommend centres that accept private candidates in Croydon or nearby, London even that don't charge too much?

I will be sitting A-Level Maths and Economics btw :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by LeSchool
Hi guys!

Ever since yesterday I have called numerous schools/colleges and Sixth Forms in the Croydon area and the majority don't seem to accept Private candidates, even those who will be sitting the same exams as I! :eek:

The few that do accept candidates are charging close to £90-100+ PER PAPER, not A-Level but module! I will struggle to pay that as I will be paying for all the exam costs myself.

At first I wanted to avoid travelling but now I guess I have to consider it, can any of you guys recommend centres that accept private candidates in Croydon or nearby, London even that don't charge too much?

No worries
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks! but that's like 2 hours away! I don't drive and I have 3 exams on the same day, two of them being in the morning :'(
Reply 3
Can anybody help? I finally got one that did accept private candidates but they're asking for about £450 for the 6 papers :|
Reply 4
Can anybody help? I finally got one that did accept private candidates but they're asking for about £450 for the 6 papers :|

I'm having to go to a college in Weymouth from just the other side of London as all the London locations were deciding to charge silly money. I'm sitting four papers for less than half of what you've been quoted. Although, over 6 days, so my petrol bill will be huge!
Reply 5
check out this list of exam centres from all over the country:

http://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/library/AQA-PRIVCAND-CENTRES.PDF
unfortunatly thats just the cost, however they are much cheaper in the south west (like devon) but thats pretty far away, some girls schools offer them a little cheaper but im not sure if they accept male private sitters (seems odd but i never asked lol)
Reply 7
It seems that the ones listed on the AQA website are ones that accepted candidates in the past, hardly any of them said yes :frown:
By Weymouth, do you mean in the South? That is super far! :|

It is so sad that I can't drive yet, the fees some of the colleges are asking for are simply atrocious. Hmm, It is worth a try right? It's not like the girl's schools can't stand men or something hahaha!
Reply 8
It seems that the ones listed on the AQA website are ones that accepted candidates in the past, hardly any of them said yes :frown:
By Weymouth, do you mean in the South? That is super far! :|

It is so sad that I can't drive yet, the fees some of the colleges are asking for are simply atrocious. Hmm, It is worth a try right? It's not like the girl's schools can't stand men or something hahaha!

You can get a train direct from Waterloo to Weymouth, only about £20 return if you book in advance.
Reply 9
Although it seems cheap there I would have to leave home at about 5:30 in order to get there on time, even then I'd get to the train station at about 8:56, bit late :frown:

I remember reading of people paying about £20 per paper, any clues?
Although it seems cheap there I would have to leave home at about 5:30 in order to get there on time, even then I'd get to the train station at about 8:56, bit late :frown:

I remember reading of people paying about £20 per paper, any clues?

I pay around £12-15 per A-Level paper and that is with a local school, although I'm located in Birmingham.

Phone any and every school you can, I mean there must be ****loads in London.
Reply 11

What exam board?
Reply 12
Original post by IWantSomeMushu
I pay around £12-15 per A-Level paper and that is with a local school, although I'm located in Birmingham.

Woah, that is AMAZING! :O I know, but I've called over 35 schools today and only had success with 4, and those were ridiculously expensive ones too :/

And, OCR Economics and AQA Mathematics :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Helloooooo? :smile:
Reply 14
Its costing me 12-15 per unit but took me a while to find that school this is in Yorkshire... local schools would be cheapest! I was wondering if you would know if you would still get an end grade by not entering into a practical Unit 6 in A2...?
Reply 15
That is fantastic! Some schools are charging almost 6-7 times that amount over here :|

Erm, I am not sure what you mean? What course are you talking about?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Hi guys!

Hi!

I just stumbled across this post as I'm hoping to do intense maths next year. How much did you end up paying for your exams?
Original post by IWantSomeMushu

What is the name of the local school you sat your Alevels with?

I need to find a place to sit my ict a2 exam otherwise i can't apply to uni.
Original post by Aubrey_79
What is the name of the local school you sat your Alevels with?

I need to find a place to sit my ict a2 exam otherwise i can't apply to uni.

It's called West Walsall E-ACT Academy, but they aren't taking private candidates any more.

Have a look on the exam board's website and there should be a list of local centres.
£450 for six units is fairly standard for private candidacy, and is actually pretty good if it includes coursework modules.

The only time you'll ever get cheaper than that is if you find a school that a) accepts private candidates and b) does all the exact same exam boards and papers you want to do. Which is fine if you are self studying from AS as you can just choose their boards, but from A2 not so much.

In my search for an affordable exam centre I found lots of schools that charged virtually nothing, but just wouldn't have the same exam boards as me. I'm not 100% confident you can sit different subjects at multiple places either.

Quick Reply

Latest