Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering, when we get our results back, we always get our marks out of 90, 100, or whatever, do the unis get all of that information as well? or will they just assume that someone who got 100%is the same as someone who just scraped the A????

ReputationRep:
    They get UMS marks as well I think.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, Cambridge is the only university that is really interested in UMS marks. The others are just interested in our grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)
    As far as I know, Cambridge is the only university that is really interested in UMS marks. The others are just interested in our grades
    Yep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    They get UMS marks as well I think.
    Only Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)
    Why would Cambridge be the only one 'interested' in UMS marks? And how do you 'know' this?
    All of the more popular unis make offers in excess of places so when they have to decide who to accept, (if they are going to accept near misses) they have an interest in who has the 'higher' marks in grade, as the difference between a 'high' 'mid' or 'low' grade pass can be just as significant to them as it may be to Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Why would Cambridge be the only one 'interested' in UMS marks? And how do you 'know' this?
    All of the more popular unis make offers in excess of places so when they have to decide who to accept, (if they are going to accept near misses) they have an interest in who has the 'higher' marks in grade, as the difference between a 'high' 'mid' or 'low' grade pass can be just as significant to them as it may be to Cambridge.
    I could be wrong, but I think Cambridge ask for UMS marks when you apply....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    I could be wrong, but I think Cambridge ask for UMS marks when you apply....
    Since this year's round of applicants (not previously) Cambridge have requested UMS marks for AS as you won't have done your A levels when applying. However, the UCAS application only asks for results of exams that have been completed.

ReputationRep:
    All unis get your UMS marks - it helps them decide if you just miss a grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)
    And what about the good universities, like Oxford? I'm sure they're interested. They were when I had my interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peapod)
    All unis get your UMS marks - it helps them decide if you just miss a grade.
    thats not true surely, i thought only cambridge gets to know it

ReputationRep:
    That's odd then, when my friend phoned Liverpool on results day to see if they'd let her in they said yes as she's missed the grade by 6 marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    She must have told them - all we get transmitted electronically is the grade (and that includes cambridge).

we? you work with UCAS or something?
    *newbie being naive*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    we? you work with UCAS or something?
    *newbie being naive*
    No she meant we as in applicants we

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.