Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi.... I just received a letter today about accommodation at St Johns. It gives the choice of having a "bed-sitting" room or a "set". Does anyone know which is better? Is a set drastically bigger? I don't fancy wasting £300 for an extra few feet of room space! Also has anyone found any pics of St Johns accommodation online? I've looked all over but can't find any!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cool_guy769)
    hi.... I just received a letter today about accommodation at St Johns. It gives the choice of having a "bed-sitting" room or a "set". Does anyone know which is better? Is a set drastically bigger? I don't fancy wasting £300 for an extra few feet of room space! Also has anyone found any pics of St Johns accommodation online? I've looked all over but can't find any!
    Hi. I don't know anymore than you, but I've also just received my letter. I stayed in a room in Cripps when I went there for the interviews, and I'm pretty sure that was a bed-sitting room because there was no way you could separate the bed and the desk. I suppose therefore that the sets are at least slightly bigger to make for two reasonably-sized sections. Do you know whether our choice will affect ballot-numbers or similar later on?

I don't know of any pictures of the inside of Cripps, but you are welcome to ask me about the rooms.

ReputationRep:
    Similar question... I got an offer from st John's on Tuesday with a list of their graduate hostels. Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in John's at the moment - yeah they don't really tell you much on the accomodation form, so hopefully this will be helpful: The larger of the two types of room (sets?) are a fair bit bigger - maybe 1/3-1/2 as much again, and you get a divider thing that lets you partition the room and means that it feels a lot bigger. Thats what I went for, but the difference in rent was only about 80 pounds last year, if they've gone up to 300 more, don't bother! The extra space is nice but the rooms are big enough that you won't really mind either way (unless you've got an urgent desire to spend money - soon to be lost as a student!)

Whatever you choose, it doesn't affect your ballot for next years rooms (sadly - I did rather badly... ). Have fun at johns!

Edit: sorry forgot about the grad accomodation question! - merton court is meant to be nice and is in college, otherwise you'll be in a house which as far as I know are slightly bigger/cheaper but are out of college a bit, though its not as serious as in some other college cause most of john's outside accomodation is quite close to the center - hope that helps.

btw something for the cripps goers next year - if your a really sociable person you might want to go for the larger room, as people tend to migrate to the biggest room they can find after the bar/going out etc. (being well stocked with booze helps encourage this!) the smaller rooms seem to lead to a quieter life....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cool_guy769)
    If you go for a set, the rooms are sometimes (always?) laid out so that one of the bedrooms is effectively a living room, with another smaller bedroom next to it. If you go for the bigger bedroom / living room, you've got to be happy with people traipsing through your room all the time or congregating in it. Not usually a problem, though.

For graduate hostels, you can't really go wrong with any of the Madingley Road ones. The room sizes are very variable though, with some huge and some tiny.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.