Turn on thread page Beta

Query Regarding University Applications watch

ReputationRep:
    If one applies for six universities then due to a change in circumstances feels one should be applying for "better" universities (as far as grade requirements and league rankings are concerned), is there anything one can do about it?

I have received some offers however I have not accepted anything yet.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    UCAS Extra? Clearing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    UCAS Extra? Clearing?
    Yeh...those are both the options available to you apart from reapplying next year...but it's risky as you're relying on unis which haven't filled their quota of places yet or have already given out many offers.

G

ReputationRep:
    So I'd have to reject the offers then apply at the others afterwards? Meaning I could end up with no place at all?

Hmm, bit of a gamble!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, Gimp, your avatar is classic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Haha, Gimp, your avatar is classic
    Thanks for that sound advice

Heh, no thanks anyway.

Perhaps I should seek some careers advice, what are those Connexions places like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)

Heh, no thanks anyway.

Perhaps I should seek some careers advice, what are those Connexions places like?
    We had a Connexions career advisor in our school...and she was quite good to talk to. I'd advise that you check them out.....they can be very helpful.

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)

Heh, no thanks anyway.

You could accept a place then see what you get in summer and if you get much better you can pull out of the place you've chosen and find something better in clearing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    You could accept a place then see what you get in summer and if you get much better you can pull out of the place you've chosen and find something better in clearing
    I see that sounds like a better option. Do you have any idea how subscribed linguistics courses are? I know not that many universities offer it as a single subject. I know how popular it is though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    I see that sounds like a better option. Do you have any idea how subscribed linguistics courses are? I know not that many universities offer it as a single subject. I know how popular it is though.
    You're not allowed to do that are you?? I'm pretty sure that once you've accepted an offer..you can't pull out of it unless you don't make the grades. So you wouldn't be allowed to go through clearing.

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    You're not allowed to do that are you?? I'm pretty sure that once you've accepted an offer..you can't pull out of it unless you don't make the grades. So you wouldn't be allowed to go through clearing.

G
    You're not technically allowed to, but it happens.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm confused now...

At the moment I have a conditional for Nottingham Trent, the offer is CC at A2. However if I do as predicted in the exams I should have:

A2: AAC
    AS: EDC
    = 410 points.

I understand that the lower grades look bad but the two A's are in English Language and English Literature (predicted of course) and I'm hoping to study Linguistics.

The universities I'm thinking about asking about spaces are York, Sheffield and Leeds.

What do you guys think regarding spaces, chances to get in with those grades? Or should I just stick with my place at Trent :|.

ReputationRep:
    Bump! Some good advice would be appreciated, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    the thing would be whether sheffield, york and leeds have any spaces left. all 3 are really good uni's so i'd doubt they'd accept applications through clearing.... :confused:

my advice would be to ring up the uni's and ask before you do anything else.

ReputationRep:
    Just a wee point, if those AS grades are in subjects you're doing A2s in, you don't get to count to points for both qualifications Though you're still right, AAC you could be looking at some better places.

ReputationRep:
    just a question, gimp

you know your AS levels and your a levels? the way you've included them both in your total points score? are they all different subjects??

you've probably said it somewhere that they are, but i have missed it!

ReputationRep:
    Hehe yeah I know; they are different subjects.

AS E Physics
    AS D German
    AS C Eng Lang (AQA)

A2 C Music Tech

A2 A Eng Lang (Ed) - Predicted
    A2 A Eng Lit (AQA) - Predicted

I had a bit of a horrible time at 6th form with muddled choices, no motivation and personal illness. GCSE I have 1 A*, 7 As, 1 B (PE yuck )

Yes I realise about the places, I was hoping Linguistics wasn't particularly popular .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)

G
    You're not meant too but you can ask to pull out. I doubt the university would make you go there if you tell them you really don't want to. I know someone who pulled out when he got his results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    Hehe yeah I know; they are different subjects.

AS E Physics
    AS D German
    AS C Eng Lang (AQA)

A2 C Music Tech

A2 A Eng Lang (Ed) - Predicted
    A2 A Eng Lit (AQA) - Predicted
    golly gosh, i could never do as many subjects as that! clever boy!

lol

ReputationRep:
    No because if I was clever I would've got better grades I'm at college now after 2 years which I view as wasted at 6th form.

Looking at the UCAS site - how do you know if a course is available on UCAS Extra, it doesn't seem to say.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.