Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been offered a place, and now have to choose between Aberystwyth, Birmingham, Bristol, Manchester, ANU and St Andrews. Can anyone comment on the basis of their experience any of these courses? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luminous)
    I've been offered a place, and now have to choose between Aberystwyth, Birmingham, Bristol, Manchester, ANU and St Andrews. Can anyone comment on the basis of their experience any of these courses? Thanks.

I'm surprised anyone who has managed to get an offer for the Cambridge MPhil in IR would even be thinking about the other places, or indeed any other place outside of LSE and Oxford.

It's not a great IR department at Cambridge, it does not have the research profile of Oxford or the LSE, however the MPhil programme is amongst the very best, and incredibly selective too. If you're using the MPhil to go onto a PhD, then I wouldn't go to Cambridge, as I don't think the dept. is the most fantastic place to gain a doctorate. However, as as stand alone course, there's no comparison at all, it's better than the others you mention combined.

Oh and one more thing, the Cambridge course is a lot more difficult, it has a very heavy research emphasis, in addition to the rest of the course, I think it's a 25 thousand word dissertation that you will need to do-all within the 9 months. However, as you've been given an offer, you're clearly capable of performing well on this course.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your well-timed reassurance. One of the reasons I accepted the offer was the oft-repeated claim that, in virtue of the exclusivity of the course, everyone on it would, at the very least, know their @r5e from their elbow.

You suggest that this is true, but it surprises me that you would reccommend this course above, for instance, the MA at Aber...

How do you know what you know about the MPhil? Obviously I understand the structure / duration etc. but I'd be really interested to find out any background info I can.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    i got accepted to the cambridge course too and hopefully will hear about which college i have soon. i have stefan halper as my supervisor which it hink was the result of my research proposal concentrating on US foreign policy. but now im really worried that it is going to be tougher than i can handle! is it really that difficult?! i did a 10,000 word dissertation for my ba, and although i wrote that in a few days i am not very confident i can pull off a similar stunt this time, plus i wouldnt want to, i couldnt shut my eyes for about a week afterwards. anyway im slightly off topic. anyone else been accepted? also what college are you going to? i put down magdalene, queens, pembroke and st johns in that order but now im wishing i had gone for pembroke, trinity, st johns and jesus! darnit.

ReputationRep:
    That's odd: my application form clearly indicated that only a first and second choice college could be stipulated on the form. I think, from reading the BGS information about accepting admission to colleges, that making only two choices is standard procedure, for both EEC and international students.

You must be American? ("darnit!"... {only joking!})

What is your proposal, in brief outline? What area of US foreign policy?

ReputationRep:
    yeah ive heard alot of people say they could only put down two! i put down four....at least i think i did! cant remember now, memory awful!
    the area i wanted to concentrate on was the immediate post war era. it draws on david campbells observation that anarchy and chaos were the pervasive fears in american foreign policy documents at the time and i want to suggest that this was the main threat, as opposed to the soviet union and also see if it can be described as a narrative etc etc. i have the proposal on compuer if you want me to send it as i cant really describe it well in one go. i also did another one on how european enlargment should be seen in terms of a discourse whcih perpetuates rather than heals the division of europe and draws on notions of postcoloniality, nested orientalism and biomedical language.
    whats yours on? my email is ....(good idea to remove it, thanks luminous) if youw ant to email me as im at work and it comes straight through.

ReputationRep:
    Very interesting...

If you're up for it, please mail the proposal to me at...

Don't be put off by the address - it's an alias so as to avoid spam trackers. You might want to think twice about publishing your work address (and name!) on the net! History (Slavonic & East European Studies) at UCL?! (google)

I'm having some of the same doubts about the difficulty of the course, but I presume that being accepted as one of the ten applicants per place must mean that we will do more than OK. Anyway, I'm trying to do as much perparatory reading as I can before October.

I'm sure I'll see you there, though you know the Centre is moving out of Trumpington Street?

ReputationRep:
    BTW - I'd edit your post right now if I were you, and delete your email address!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luminous)
    Thanks for your well-timed reassurance. One of the reasons I accepted the offer was the oft-repeated claim that, in virtue of the exclusivity of the course, everyone on it would, at the very least, know their @r5e from their elbow.

You suggest that this is true, but it surprises me that you would reccommend this course above, for instance, the MA at Aber...

How do you know what you know about the MPhil? Obviously I understand the structure / duration etc. but I'd be really interested to find out any background info I can.

Cheers.
    Oh I know a little about the course as a friend of mine had completed it just a year ago. Actually, I was set to apply, had even gotten around to starting the research proposal, and then I had a change of heart and decided to go for the Judge Institute instead. Also, I've an offer for the Development MPhil, hopefully to be followed by a Pol/IR DPhil at that 'other place'. Still deciding between them. May see you around if you're at Queens'.

As for colleges, I was also only given two choices. Although I was advised that what you could do is phone up and specify a 3rd choice college, even a 4th and so on. Although, I think if you are rejected by your 2nd choice, chances are the other 'prestigious' colleges won't want you and that then you're sure to end up at a graduate college or one of the less popular mixed colleges.

Also, yes, I would without any doubt recommend this course over Aber, or any of the other universities you mentioned, you'd have to be insane to think otherwise! If you're doing this only as a masters degree, and fancy the challenge, then this is certainly the course for you. The difference in the calibre of students between the Cam IR and Aber would be colossal to the extent that if I were to employ an analogy it would seem like an attempt at humour!
    The only real negative is, as I suggested earlier, that it wouldn't lead onto such a well established PhD, and even that is relative to Oxford and LSE; still would be better than anywhere else in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, J.S. You have been very helpful.

BTW - what is your friend doing now? As you guessed, I applied for the course purely out of interest in the subject. However, I am toying with the idea of a Ph.D., though it will undoubtedly prove financially impossible.

Anyway, I'm banking on the idea that the MPhil will, to some extent, improve my long-term employment prospects and enable a smooth re-entry period to the UK and its job market (been out of the country for five years).

ReputationRep:
    that was my plan, to do the mphil at cambridge and then go to oxford for the dphil. of course i wanted to go to oxford for the mphil, which is a two year course but i got rejected, apparently the competition was even worse than one in ten places! so i was really forced to go to cambridge, but i wouldnt go anywhere else, i had already studied in london so i dint want to go to the lse, plus i heard it was very policy driven whereas i am more theoretical, and though aber and newcastle both have departments string in "post" theories i found there was little point in choosing a dept based on their culture as this is pretty much a myth anyway...for example i was told cambridge would not suit me as it disapproves of the integration of culture and language into IR but thats blatantly not true. anyways...back to work. cant wait to get there but worried about making mates and things...as usual.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=legon]yeah ive heard alot of people say they could only put down two! i put down four....at least i think i did! cant remember now, memory awful![=QUOTE]

You're mixing that up with the Oxford application form. For Oxford you put down four preferences, for Cambridge you're only supposed to put down two.

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah i think your right! sorry people, i only put down mag and queens then.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about doing this when i finish my BSc. Was there any particular reason why you chose the Cambridge IR over other well established programmes i.e. at Oxford and the LSE?
    I know the oxford course is 2 years and an LSE MSc is comparatively more expensive. But what made your decisions in the end?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am thinking of applying to do my MPil in IR at Cantab. I have reviewed their brochures and have approached the office. My problem is that I dont have a 1st or a 2.1. Imy first degree is in economics and I have a 2.2. I was told I should apply nevertheless and my overall circumstances will be taken into account.
    I am 29, graduated in 1997 - so I have a lot of real life and work experience, but I have a very keen interest in IR and I've always wanted to go to canbridge. What advise can you give me re making an application? in your opinion what kind of things do they look for?
    I have done a lot of voluntary work, stood for council election, run my own business but I need to challenge myself academically and IR is my fielf of interest. I have read around this area a lot and follow cureent affairs looking for IR issues.
    I find that if you have a 2.2 you are almost always discounted. But I have widom, experience and want to do MPHIL to further my understanding of IR and spend a year at cambrdge.
    Thanks
    Salam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abdulsalam)
    Hi,
    I am thinking of applying to do my MPil in IR at Cantab. I have reviewed their brochures and have approached the office. My problem is that I dont have a 1st or a 2.1. Imy first degree is in economics and I have a 2.2. I was told I should apply nevertheless and my overall circumstances will be taken into account.
    I am 29, graduated in 1997 - so I have a lot of real life and work experience, but I have a very keen interest in IR and I've always wanted to go to canbridge. What advise can you give me re making an application? in your opinion what kind of things do they look for?
    I have done a lot of voluntary work, stood for council election, run my own business but I need to challenge myself academically and IR is my fielf of interest. I have read around this area a lot and follow cureent affairs looking for IR issues.
    I find that if you have a 2.2 you are almost always discounted. But I have widom, experience and want to do MPHIL to further my understanding of IR and spend a year at cambrdge.
    Thanks
    Salam
    Hmmm tougn one.
    Where was your degree from?
    I'm not sure of your chances, the calibre of people who apply are obviously extremely high. It is cambridge and so the other applicants are going to be very proficient academically and this is reflected in the brochure where it says you should definitely hold a first, or worst case scenario a 2:1. Not only this but I believe the course is one of the most oversubscribed in the whole of Cambridge, or so i have heard, which means not only are you up against typical cambridge applicants who are excellent academically, but you are also up against a hell of a lot of them, 10 people to every place, or i think it may have been higher.
    So i am not sure of a 2:2 is going to d you any favours. However, if you ahve worked in the field then it may be possible i suppose. Also your research proposal is KEY!!!!!
    though saying that my friend applied to cambridge with a 2:1 from UCL and an awesome RP which was good because she had help, from a previous IR lecturer from Cambridge and she still got rejected...very early as well which makes me think it was down to her 65 per cent 2:1.
    in the end though it is the professors who will let you in, not me and os this could all be irrelevant.
    sorry i cant be more help.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Just a quick question about PhD IR..

I do hope Il get long replies though!

am applying for entry in 2005...have a Masters degree in IR from Bristol and 2 yrs work-ex in a gender and International Security-related ngo.. (my proposal is closely related to my work) ...i have been shortlisted for the cambridge trust scholarships...there is a long way to go yet--admission in CIS being the next challenge..

was wondering if there are any specific points that i should keep in mind while making the application..and also which colleges should i opt for?!

will appreciate any help from those who have been accepted for the degree..

thanks!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.