caught with weed in halls Watch

SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Without getting drawn into the "are drugs bad for you" debate, people should be careful with the legal synthetic weed substitutes. Some of them seem to cause worse problems than actual cannabis. Obviously this is based on anecdotal evidence, but I've yet to hear anyone say anything good about them, and seen someone have what was basically a pschotic episode after mixing them with stuff he normally mixes weed with and is fine. I know it's not completely relevant, but I thought I'd share.

@ OP: You're likely to get off with a warning.

I don't think the "they shouldn't have been in my room without my consent" arguement will work, as I imagine if you read your accomadation contract it will probably say they require access to rooms in case of emergancy or something like that. As it's rented property, you only have a "right of quiet enjoyment" in law, which is open to all kinds of interpretation. Also, the police would likely see the two matters as unrelated, if, for example, you'd been caught with stolen goods or a dead body.

Very worst case scenario is you get given notice on your halls contract, which you could probably argue and delay anyway, or if not, you'd get your overpaid rent back, and you could move into a private house. If they got the police involved, it would not be difficult to prove anything, as the evidence has been removed and it would turn into a he said/she said type thing, and they just won't bother with it.

Only way you could get into real trouble is if they thought it was "possession with intent to suply"- was it a huge quantity of weed? And do you ever give any to anyone- even friends for free? If you are giving lots out, that could be viewed as supplying as in law no money has to change hands. Anyway, I doubt anything could be done on the back of this for the reasons I'd explain above.
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jakey_boy)
Today i was woken up by the fire alarm in my halls, so i jumped out of bed put on some shoes and went outside. It turned out to be a fire drill the staff took down our room numbers so they new we were out.
When they let us back in after checking everone had left the building i realised i hadnt put my weed away from the night before. It was just sitting on my desk clearly visable and smellable. About five seconds after i walked into my room there was a knock on my door, it was one of the staff member's saying that she needed to talk to me about somthing. I said i can guess what its about and let her in.
she then told me that my room smelled like weed and she saw it on my desk. basically she told me that i have to have a meeting on friday and they had to confiscate my weed (very disapointing as i just bought it last night and barely touched it).
basically ive got a few questions.
1) should they have gone in my room without informing me?
2) how much trouble am i in? (i was polite, cooperative and gave the weed to her as soon as she said she had to take it, although i did swear but it wasnt aimed at her it was more myself for not hiding it)
3) anyone else get done like this?
Not sure why you've been negged for this post. TSR getting uppity over smoking weed :confused:

Anyway, I'm sure you've learned your lesson, just don't leave it lying around. Schoolboy error.

Credit for accepting you were in the wrong though, just take the warning and learn from your mistake (i.e. don't leave drugs lying around in your room.)
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Dude heavy (lol)
you'll probably just get off with a warning and next year you'll be in private accommodation you should be ok.
gijops
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
mate, I've been caught with weed by feds like 14 times since 2010 it's not them you have to worry about. As far as the University goes... you gotta think "Do you need them more than they need you" if the answer is yes, airgo you go to a top university then they may very well send you on your way but the Unis I've applied to need all the paying applicants they can get so no way will I get booted out for drugs.
fluyid
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The towel under the door along with the open window works like a charm
Tootles
Badges: 20
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by fluyid)
The towel under the door along with the open window works like a charm
Bit late for that, this was six years ago.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did you find the exam?