The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
jeffreyweingard
What is "middle office" exactly? Am I right in thinking that "front office" earn most, then "middle office", then "back office"? Also, am I right in thinking that "front office" is most competitative, then "middle office", then "back office"?

Front office definitely earn most and is most competitative. Not sure about the others.
Biffy Clyro
everyone I've seen with one is a known drug dealer.. :rolleyes:

What kind of people do you know?! :cool:

CityTrader would be proud.

Johan C
What's wrong with Lexus ? Cause the IS 200...

Its just terribly uncool, with the kind of money you'll be making in IB, get the bankers' favourite: Mercedes Benz S class (preferably a 65, maybe a Maybach). I'd plump for a Maserati Quattraporte, tasty.

supernova2

X5 is a nice car, bit of a petrol waster though

Not as nice a Mercedes G55.

(edited 1 year ago)
Johan C
what's wrong with Lexus ? Cause the IS 200... :cool:

You didn't read Clarkson in the Sunday Times a couple of weeks back did you...
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-2156178,00.html

Admittedly, its the IS 250, but the point still stands...

:P
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 43
Olek
You didn't read Clarkson in the Sunday Times a couple of weeks back did you...
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-2156178,00.html

Admittedly, its the IS 250, but the point still stands...

:P

Lol, lots of that is actually rather positive :p: Though I get what you mean.
That G class is class LOL
What about a Hummer :smile:
ashmufc

What about a Hummer :smile:

Only if you're a 6ft tall black rapper. 50 Cent G-G-G-G-G-G-UNIT, bling!:rolleyes:
LBC213
No, I read about someone who asked the same question to the head of HR at a top investment bank ("why not hire twice as much and give half the work load?") and apparently they got laughed at in the face big time. The HR person just walked off thinking it was a joke. Your above idea would cost the banks more and only the same amount of work would get done. And I suspect less people would apply to banking if it payed 33% less because its still seen by many as dull work.

why would less work get done? I'm guessing the point is you can't just walk into the office and take over somebody's M&A work, you have to carry work through to the end with your team, and in a trading position you're limited by market opening hours anyway.
not
why would less work get done? I'm guessing the point is you can't just walk into the office and take over somebody's M&A work, you have to carry work through to the end with your team, and in a trading position you're limited by market opening hours anyway.

I didn't say less work would get done, I said the banks would be paying more for the same amount of work.
LBC213
I didn't say less work would get done, I said the banks would be paying more for the same amount of work.

Am I missing something? Say a division has 10 people on £100k each working 15 hours a day, wage bill is £1million and man hours are 150 hours per day. They cut wages and hours per worker 33% and hire 5 more people, they’re now hiring 15 people at £66.6k, total wage bill is £1 million, total man hours 150 hours per day.
agreed, but there's two effects to acknowledge i reckon. the negative effect of the trying to substitute one employee for another half way through the day, and the positive effect of having better rested, happier employees.
i'd like to see how motivated you are after twenty four hours in front of excel =P

i actually have been in front of excel for twenty four hours now on a uni project with an imminent deadline, i feel surprisingly motivated
Reply 51
errrr, what about the ozone layer and the negative effect on the environment?:rolleyes:
Troy :0)
errrr, what about the ozone layer and the negative effect on the environment?:rolleyes:

There's no conclusive evidence that says CO2 emissions cause climate change, no scientist worth his salt has claimed that it is. As a matter of fact, a cow produces more greenhouse gases than a Range Rover. And the climate of the earth has been continuously changing since the dawn of time, if I remember correctly we've been in the process of coming out of an ice age for some time now.

not

Am I missing something? Say a division has 10 people on £100k each working 15 hours a day, wage bill is £1million and man hours are 150 hours per day. They cut wages and hours per worker 33% and hire 5 more people, they’re now hiring 15 people at £66.6k, total wage bill is £1 million, total man hours 150 hours per day.

I don't think it's as clear cut as that. Lowering wage does a lot for the image of the job and the people you can attract to it. Anyway, if it was so simple I'm sure the banks would have done it by now.

-----, I'm loving the "who cares?" attitude. :cool:
(edited 1 year ago)
LBC213
There's no conclusive evidence that says CO2 emissions cause climate change, no scientist worth his salt has claimed that it is. As a matter of fact, a cow produces more greenhouse gases than a Range Rover. And the climate of the earth has been continuously changing since the dawn of time, if I remember correctly we've been in the process of coming out of an ice age for some time now.

Beg to differ... There is no real controversy, Anthropogenic CO2 is causing the atmosphere to heat up. The only controversy has been created by the oil industry in much the same way as creationists created the non-existent debate about 'intelligent design'. Granted, predicting the consequences and how far the temperature rise will go is controvertial, but it's fairly well modelled and accepted that atmospheric CO2 is a greenhouse gas, which has markedly increased in concentration since we started burning fossil fuels. According to all the evidence we have, this will cause heating of the atmosphere, the only question is how much and whether it will cause a new apocalypse (I'm personally doubtful, most of that carbon was at one point in the atmosphere).
Reply 54
LBC213

Actually, I wasn't being serious. I haven't searched the literature to see what the current evidence says about the effect of carbon emisions on the climate, but do you mean to say that the Kyoto protocol is based on dubious research????:eek: shocking.

And yes, the climate of the earth is always changing, but the impact of human life on that change is a VERY RECENT thing, and is a matter for serious concern, if you care about that sort of thing.
Troy :0)
Actually, I wasn't being serious. I haven't searched the literature to see what the current evidence says about the effect of carbon emisions on the climate, but do you mean to say that the Kyoto protocol is based on dubious research????:eek: shocking.

And yes, the climate of the earth is always changing, but the impact of human life on that change is a VERY RECENT thing, and is a matter for serious concern, if you care about that sort of thing.

Well when I said "no scientist worth his salt.." etc, I meant that they haven't conclusively proven that humans are causing the change in climate. Sorry, I do realise that CO2 is a greenhouse gas.

Yes, CO2 has increased since humans have started burning fossil fuels, but the amount when compared to that being emitted naturally, its a drop in the ocean. The controversy lies in whether the system is so sensitive to changes in CO2 that even such a relatively small increase will cause a big change in the system. I agree, the CO2 has always been there, so I can't see why we're having all this doomsday predicitions. And its hardly as if people are going to stop using things they use to pollute, its hardly had a change, in fact the rate of use of oil is contantly increasing.
Reply 56
LBC213
Well when I said "no scientist worth his salt.." etc, I meant that they haven't conclusively proven that humans are causing the change in climate. Sorry, I do realise that CO2 is a greenhouse gas.

But science works on the basis that hypotheses must be rejected, and can never really be proven. At the moment, it's VERY difficult to reject the idea that human behaviour is changing the climate, and it's the best theory going, imo.

LBC213

Yes, CO2 has increased since humans have started burning fossil fuels, but the amount when compared to that being emitted naturally, its a drop in the ocean.

Perhaps, but that can be said of many things....the point is, it's generally accepted that humans have to take responsibility for their actions, regardless of whether these actions create or excerbate existing situations.

LBC213

The controversy lies in whether the system is so sensitive to changes in CO2 that even such a relatively small increase will cause a big change in the system. .

There's no big controversy as far as I can tell. a few degrees increase can melt huge amounts of ice, which, in the past, have led to events that have wiped out entire species. There's good archaeological evidence for this. (I'm not saying that if we keep adding co2 humans will go extinct:p: )

LBC213

And its hardly as if people are going to stop using things they use to pollute, its hardly had a change, in fact the rate of use of oil is contantly increasing.

hmmmmmmmm
Reply 57
Good attitude, we need more people like you in this world.

It's the role of the police to lock up peadophiles. But if I know of one, you can be sure I'm helping the police to do their job.
Reply 58
OMG, 14 years old counts as paedophilia here? sh*t.
Reply 59
funny...:rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending