Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    HI!
    I've been searching around, both here and on the net, and so far I can only find 3/4 unis that offer a traditional [less PBL] pre-clinical part of their medicine courses.

Oxford
    Cambridge
    St. Andrews
    Edinburgh

Am I right? [I'd hate to apply to St. Andrews and Edinburgh find out they were PBL galore!]
    More importantly, are there any others?

I'm not going to apply to Oxbridge, cos it would be near impossible for me to get in [damn their prestige! ;P ], but would like to apply to some other unis eg. the two scottish 'uns, where the pre-clinical course is taught in a more scientific nature, if you get my drift....

Thanks for any information you can offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buzfvar)
    HI!
    I've been searching around, both here and on the net, and so far I can only find 3/4 unis that offer a traditional [less PBL] pre-clinical part of their medicine courses.

Oxford
    Cambridge
    St. Andrews
    Edinburgh

Am I right? [I'd hate to apply to St. Andrews and Edinburgh find out they were PBL galore!]

I'm not going to apply to Oxbridge, cos it would be near impossible for me to get in [damn their prestige! ;P ], but would like to apply to some other unis eg. the two scottish 'uns, where the pre-clinical course is taught in a more scientific nature, if you get my drift....

If you're looking at AAA at A-level then why not apply to Oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    HI!

Oxford
    Cambridge
    St. Andrews
    Edinburgh

Why don't you try going to each med school web site and reading about the courses offered??????

If you had done that instead of starting htis thread, you probably could have covered 1/3 of them by now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    If you're looking at AAA at A-level then why not apply to Oxbridge?
    Yep, I'm aiming to getting and being predicted that for A-Level.
    But, since there's intense competition for medicine anyway, with most unis only really accepting AAA and those with a shining PS, at Oxbridge, it'd be even more intense! Eeeek.

Competition squared or something at Oxbridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    What about the Peninsula med school??? Is that not a sciency one??? I am sure some of the London ones will be.
    St G's, BL and GKT are all based on PBL from what I can see.

Not sure about Imperial.

ReputationRep:
    Goto: http://www.medschoolguide.co.uk/schools.htm

Every UK med school is listed along with links to their web-sites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Why don't you try going to each med school web site and reading about the courses offered??????

If you had done that instead of starting htis thread, you probably could have covered 1/3 of them by now
    Did that yesterday!
    However, virtually all have the same useless stuff, we teach via lectures, practicals etc. etc.
    No idea as to how much of each and how much emphasis on PBL.

ReputationRep:
    Did that yesterday!
    However, virtually all have the same useless stuff, we teach via lectures, practicals etc. etc.
    No idea as to how much of each and how much emphasis on PBL.
    I don't know how much help this is but I'm at Birmingham Medical School and, from what I've heard from my colleagues (who were far more clued up when applying to MedSchool!!), the course here has significantly less PBL than most MedSchools..!

ReputationRep:
    Hhhm, the medical section of St. Andrew's website ain't working!
    Anyone know where I can get more details regarding St. Andrew's medical courses for 2005?
    Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and are Edinburgh ditching their traditional clinical / pre-clinical divide?

Many thanks...

ReputationRep:
    kings give ABB offers to some ppl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keithy)
    kings give ABB offers to some ppl.
    Kings give CCC offers to some people! (Usually those with AAAAAAAAAAA predictions )

And GKT is PBL based at any rate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    And GKT is PBL based at any rate!
    GKT?

ReputationRep:
    GKT?

Kings Colleges Medical School: Guys, Kings and St Thomas'

ReputationRep:
    UCL and Imperial, being the only medical schools outside oxbridge with a compulsory BSc year have a very scientific course, and only have token amounts of pbl from what i gather...

Meanwhile manchester is nearly entirely pbl

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that

King's are heavy on the PBL???? EEEEK?

ReputationRep:
    from the GKT web site:

Teaching

Teaching is based on a variety of techniques: small group teaching, laboratory based practicals (including anatomical dissections and sessions in the purpose-built clinical skills centre), clinical demonstrations, ward rounds, multi-disciplinary symposia, computer-aided learning and lectures.
    You will also be taught at hospitals away from King's and in the community with general practitioners. This will give you the opportunity to experience many of the different ways in which healthcare is delivered.

Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.