The Student Room Group

Sky Sports to offer Premier League online for £9.99 a day

Link

Satellite giant BSkyB to offer pay-as-you access to its sports channels for the first time, as it reports a rise in pre-tax profits

BSkyB will for the first time allow customers to watch its sports channels on a pay-as-you go basis for £9.99 a day, the first time it has ever allowed access to prime content such as Premier League football without a Sky TV subscription.

The move is a radical departure for the company, which has spent the last 20 years using prime sports such as Premier League football to convince viewers to sign up for monthly packages of at least £42.50.

BSkyB is to offer sports fans the option of watching unlimited sports content from all six of its sports channels on its new internet TV service, Now TV, for a 24-hour period for £9.99.

BSkyB aims to build the popularity of Now TV, which launched with Sky Movies content in July, which it revealed has attracted 25,000 subscribers in the three months to the end of December.

The new sports offering will launch in the spring and aims to attract fans looking to watch a one-off event, such as a Formula One grand prix, England cricket match or Masters golf.

Jeremy Darroch, the BSkyB chief executive, said that the new service will not cannibalise Sky's solid "gold" revenue stream of monthly Sky Sports subscribers.

"It will complement [subscription packages] well, it a way to extend Sky Movies, Sky Sports and later entertainment channels to an entirely new set of customers," he said.

BSkyB has previously said that Now TV will target the 13m non-pay TV households, such as Freeview customers, that may want to "dip inand dip out" of its programming.

"We think that a day pass is going to be attractive," he said, dismissing claims that it may be too pricey. "We think it will work well alongside Sky Sports."

Scroll to see replies

Not bad, not bad at all :smile:
Reply 2
A good idea, but too expensive to tempt me away from live streams. If it were cheaper then maybe it would work.
Reply 3
Original post by Just Josh
A good idea, but too expensive to tempt me away from live streams. If it were cheaper then maybe it would work.

Should be £9.99 for the weekend. £12.99 if Monday Night Football is included etc.
Reply 4
£9.99?

No thanks
Reply 5
I can see some people going for it when you have a Super Sunday or something like that, when you have 2 big premier league games followed by a European game or something but otherwise.. I won't be tempted tbh.
£4.99 for the entire weekend might be tempting but this is a disaster.
£100 to watch every race* in the F1 season? Not bad.

So long as the quality is good, I'll give it a go.

*Assuming watching BBC shown races on the BBC.
Reply 8
£9.99 a day? LOL. Who the **** would pay that?

This is equivalent to a years subscription costing £3646.35
Original post by 122025278
£9.99 a day? LOL. Who the **** would pay that?

This is equivalent to a years subscription costing £3646.35

Sky show 10 F1 races a year that are exclusive. The minimum contract to watch those 10 races costs £240. Paying £10 for each race saves £140.

For football fans, it's ****e, but for the odd one-off event, brilliant.
Original post by mikeyd85
Sky show 10 F1 races a year that are exclusive. The minimum contract to watch those 10 races costs £240. Paying £10 for each race saves £140.

For football fans, it's ****e, but for the odd one-off event, brilliant.

I'm not really into Formula 1 anymore at all, when I watched it the BBC showed all the races. You must be able to get streams online?
I'm not really into Formula 1 anymore at all, when I watched it the BBC showed all the races. You must be able to get streams online?

Maybe, can't say I've ever needed F1 streams before (I had Sky last season).
Reply 12
You must be able to get streams online?

Bit **** though, foreign satellite would be my preference.
Good idea in theory, but to watch the Practice, Qualifying and Race on an F1 weekend, that's three separate day passes i.e. £29.97.

On Virgin Media it's only £25.75 a month for all the Sky Sports channels.

I'll stick to RTL.
This sounds amazing, not just for football but for everything in general. I'm a big fan of this plan.

The price is a little steep, but there's been many times when I've wanted a reliable service like this.
(edited 11 years ago)
Too expensive. What they really should be doing is a pay-per-view on football matches. We don't need a whole day pass, it's wasted. Generally there's only 1 event you want to watch, like a 90 min football match. Just let us pay to watch that. £5.99 to watch any football match that they're showing, seems like a very reasonable price. They only show 2 matches on the weekend anyway, so it's not like people could pay to watch their team on TV and then stop actually attending matches. Also, there's loads of people who don't really follow sport much who would probably pay £5.99 to watch el classico, or united v city. Could also be done on international matches too. A monthly subscription would still save you money if you were to pay for both matches each Sunday, and you also get the other sports too. I don't think they'd lose subscribers, but they'd gain a lot of PPV customers.
A ****ing day!?
Reply 17
Great idea. Price is too steep though.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Good idea in theory, but to watch the Practice, Qualifying and Race on an F1 weekend, that's three separate day passes i.e. £29.97.

On Virgin Media it's only £25.75 a month for all the Sky Sports channels.

I'll stick to RTL.

Yeah, I won't be watching P1,2,3,Q and race at that price.

I reckon that if you time it well, you could watch a rerun of qualifying and the race within 24 hours...
Original post by mikeyd85
Maybe, can't say I've ever needed F1 streams before (I had Sky last season).

I actually think they don't want lots of people signing up to this if that makes sense. If it was something like £3.50 a day instead of £9.99, they'd probably make more money because a lot more people sign up. But they really don't want people who have or might get Sky Sports, getting rid of it and just taking this pay as you go thing instead. Even with Sky Sports, unless you like loads of different sports you could only be watching maybe 2-3 things a month, so I bet a lot of people would cancel if they had an alternative. More importantly Sky's money also comes from advertising, adverts online are no where near as effective as ads on TV and so advertisers won't pay anything like as much, even if they got someone cancelling their Sky Sports packaging and watching enough "pay per view" which is what this is, they'd still be losing loads in advertising revenue.

Bit of a gimmick, they're only really looking at getting a few people signing up to this, those who'd never get Sky Sports.

Quick Reply

Latest