Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know how to get good work experience???

ReputationRep:
    Any particular area? What sort of subject are you planning to do at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naz87)
    Networking. Increase your circle of acquaintances, and ask around. Word of mouth is a powerful business tool.

Be ambitious. One of my friends is doing it at PC Zone, another at Reuters or something. A few years ago, somone from my school did it at the New York Times, with the return flight paid for. Otherwise, the army and hospitals seem to be popular choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alocin)
    Any particular area? What sort of subject are you planning to do at uni?
    im going to study fashion marketing, so i need something to with retail but in particular with buying, becasuse im going to be a buyer
    wots the best way to get recognised or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naz87)
    im going to study fashion marketing, so i need something to with retail but in particular with buying, becasuse im going to be a buyer
    What you have to do is write a sort of CV with your exam grades, plans for the future and then add a personal statment. A bit like a UCAS form.
    Then send it off to ANY address you can find related to fashion even if it's nothing to do with buyers, some experience is better than none.

I got lucky with my work experience, I want to be a journalist when I grow up and in Year 10 I had to do work experience. I asked if they could place me at my local paper and the teacher said "We'll see what we can do" she left it for ages and then got me a place at McDonalds. So I told her to f* off and I'd find my own work experience. I had 2 days to do it in so mum came back from this RAF lunch in London and tells me about this old friend she met and how her daughter works at News International. Next thing I know I've got a weeks work experience at the Sun, News of the World, Firedup.com, Page3.com etc.

Getting decent work experience is about annoying people until they get so bored of you phoning and e-mailing that they give you a place so they can keep an eye on you and stop you from calling them.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    There's two ways:
    1) Write a covering letter and enclose your CV to countless places that are connected to the area in question.
    2) Ask everyone you know if they know anyone who might be able to get you work experience where they work! Plead and beg.

ReputationRep:
    I did mine with Argonaut and played computer games for a week. Hehe.

ReputationRep:
    hey
    my work experience is coming up and i dont know where to go as the ideas from the school dont quite float my boat. i want to make a career in acting and script writing for tv. this is my career and i am certain about my choices but i am clueless as to where to go to find some relevant work experience! does anyone have any ideas cos im stumped and theirs no way you'll find me at co op for two weeks.
    james

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naz87)
    i have found myself in a simarlar situation to yours its a right bummer innit. have you considered going to a self-designing clothes boutique?

ReputationRep:
    hey! i work at co op in the holidays

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naz87)

ask the carreer advisor in ur school.. tahts where i gt mine from

ReputationRep:
    I have mine at the deputy prime minister's office...yes i do know who he is...at the home office. Excuse me, i like boasting about that. I also had a work experience offer from Jimmy Choo, the show designer, because my mum's friend works with him and offered her two weeks and she can only do one. But, being the swotty person i am, i kinda prefer to do two weeks at the home office, and since jimmy choo lives round the corner from me, i could try and pop in anytime to beg for another placement!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naz87)
    Be persistent, ask everyone you can, e-mail companys you're interested in, try the phone book. The worst that can happen is they say no.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.