The Student Room Group

Are you concerned about youth unemployment figures?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Most of my schoolmates that I'm in touch with are just plain lazy. All they are capable to do is moan and complain. It's no wonder they are unemployed.
I guess I'm lucky in the sense that I've chosen to study a subject at uni that I both love and is likely to get me a decent job, because there is always a demand for linguists and not enough people studying it.
Sure, society has mislead us to believe many things about the correlation between studying and the likelihood of getting a job, but in the end it's really up to the individual to figure it out for themselves, to be motivated enough and have the right attitude to work. This means being realistic and realising that for some things it is just too difficult to get a job because no matter how good you are, there are thousands of others just like you and the competition is just not worth it.
Original post by SillyEddy
There are plenty of jobs out there. I check from time to time in case I want to do something part time, and there is rarely a shortage.

I think young people are generally put off by the "class" of job it is or the amount of effort they might want to put in. There are plenty of cleaning jobs (including pot-washers) and you can bet 90% of those jobs are taken by Polish workers. Why? Because they have the work ethic of just doing any job instead of fussing about their reputation if they took that job.

Similarly, some jobs will require a bit of work by the potential employee. For instance, gaining a qualification or working odd hours. There are always jobs for security staff, but it requires the person to spend a couple of hundred quid on training so that they're qualified.

While I know for a fact that there are a lot of jobs not suitable for younger people (graduate jobs, experienced based, etc), there are still a lot of jobs out there. But hey, it's easy to take the easy route and just not work. I like work and there is always stuff going on if you look hard enough.

I just feel as if many young people expect to be spoon-fed work and that it will just happen. It won't. If they're not getting jobs, they need to evaluate why. I don't think education can do much more other than being completely blunt about that and teaching people how to find jobs and where funding exists to get extra training for them. I believe there is a careers advancement fund run by government which could help a lot of people to get the skills to work - If they want it.

I completely disagree due my own personal experience. I would say the vast majority of young people in my area that do have a job are all working in the fish factories based in our area. The stand and put fish cakes in a box for a low wage for hours on end, whilst going to college as well. It's mind numbing stuff that they despise but they always show up on time and do their job. I don't believe that this is the reason for high youth unemployment. There just isn't enough jobs to go around. And now even for part time jobs students are competing with older people with experience and possibly better qualifications.
Youth unemployment isn't high because young people are sitting on their backsides refusing to apply for any job that is "below" them; it is high because the amount of jobs available is much lower than the amount of people looking for a job. Yes, there are always plenty of jobs being advertised, as people are always leaving positions for whatever reason; but at the same time, dozens, even hundreds of people are chasing these positions.
its a problem on all sides, employers, employees and politicians....i mean its the age old proverb of you can take a horse to the trough but u cant make it drink and there will always be some kids who just dont wanna work and dont have the motivation but also politicians know it aint a simple fix and thats what wins votes and employers dont wanna take the risk or invest the money in training that person
Because real wages and incentive do not exist.

Apathy exists because prospects are dire. Underemployment is one of the biggest problems.

Real wages; the amount of goods and services that one can purchase with their wage, has decreased over the last 15 years.

Work until you're 75 spending almost everything you earn. Many people work full time or lots of hours, receive nothing. Our economy isn't 'growing' corporations and banks that were bailed are producing record profits.

If the value of our money continues to decrease anymore, with minimum wage as it is, the working class in this country will be stretched to breaking point. People do not wish to work for MNC's and hand their life away so lightly. For many there seems little or no point. If you can't understand that, try speaking to a family earning minimum wage whilst raising a family.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Smack
Youth unemployment isn't high because young people are sitting on their backsides refusing to apply for any job that is "below" them; it is high because the amount of jobs available is much lower than the amount of people looking for a job. Yes, there are always plenty of jobs being advertised, as people are always leaving positions for whatever reason; but at the same time, dozens, even hundreds of people are chasing these positions.

I think both. Lots of people are disillusioned; apathy is rife. There are also 100 people applying for most decent roles. On top of that there is a vast amount of people underemployed and underpaid. All of these problems are not easy fixes, and they are not fixes that can be achieved through bail outs. Incentives for local stakeholders and business is also diabolical. This top down policy is failing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by SillyEddy
There are plenty of jobs out there. .
<snip>

This really isn't true. The national ratio of jobseekers to vacancies is 5:1. Much higher in some areas.
Reply 28
Original post by Afradeetee
There is defiantly a cultural issue that needs to be addressed in my opinion like you say, the Polish have such a strong work ethic, however this is not the only contributing factor as we know.

This is rubbish. Immigrants will generally accept lower wages and poorer working conditions, that's all.
Reply 29
Anyone going to this? :P

Sorry attached it wrong last time.
Reply 30
Original post by Kibalchich
This is rubbish. Immigrants will generally accept lower wages and poorer working conditions, that's all.

I meant from the point of view of the government by not taking the appropriate measures to counter youth unemployment and unemployment in general and trying to hide the real stats. But you are right!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
I meant from the point of view of the government letting these people come in. But you are right!

The reason immigration rules were relaxed was to keep profits up and wages down.
Reply 32
Even my gran said - it tends to be, whenever there's a recession, the youth that pay.
I suppose young people are more spritely and everything, retired folk need a good pension to live off and state help but to be honest, if things had been more level to begin with most pensioners would have better pensions, and more efforts could be given to the up-coming generations

If inexperienced, young people were to be more employable it would due to positive discrimination I suppose, and without interference its the young people that end up unemployed

I don't really understand why the government aren't more worried about it though, its stupid

You know its almost like the unspoken idea that the conservatives hate social mobility is true

Posted from TSR Mobile
Asians etc tend to also only employ their own. Not good news for the inner city white youth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending