Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im on the UCAS website now waiting to click submit, but I just cant do it. Ive put york down as firm and lancaster as insurance...but the problem is I really have my heart set on York now...so if I miss the grades for York I dont think Id be particularly happy going to Lancaster. Shall I just leave the Insurance?

ReputationRep:
    I had my heart set on Cardiff, I would have not been happy with my insurance. But I still put it down. You may feel different when you have just finished your exams, or on results day. It can't hurt to put it down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Im on the UCAS website now waiting to click submit, but I just cant do it. Ive put york down as firm and lancaster as insurance...but the problem is I really have my heart set on York now...so if I miss the grades for York I dont think Id be particularly happy going to Lancaster. Shall I just leave the Insurance?
    Why not put Lancaster anyway. That way if you change your mind you'll have somewhere to go, and you can always decline it later can't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldthrashbarg)
    Why not put Lancaster anyway. That way if you change your mind you'll have somewhere to go, and you can always decline it later can't you?
    Yeh but can I enter clearing if Im accepted to Lancaster?

ReputationRep:
    No, not unless they agree to release you. But Lancaster's a great uni with a solid reputation. People just don't tend to rate it for whatever silly reason.

ReputationRep:
    Officially no. If you can persude Lancaster to release you, yes. And I doubt they'd try to force you to go there if you really didn't want to.

ReputationRep:
    I would go all out for York, and then take a gap year if I didn't get in. That way you could improve your chances of getting in to York, and still apply to Lancaster. I don't know if Lancaster would refuse to make you an offer later if you decline them now though. Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    If you accept an insurance, then persuade a uni to release you, is that going to take so much time your clearing chances would be greatly reduced?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh probably, ill Just have to make sure I get into York wont i

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, probably, but do you actually doubt you'll get your predicted grades? If their offer matches your predicted grades, mock results, etc... you'll probably be fine. Don't knock yourself out.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.