The Student Room Group

I have no-one to go on holiday with :(

So I'm in a situation where I have literally no-one to go abroad with. I go away in this country fairly often but I really yearn to go abroad, since it's been a few years now. My boyfriend won't come with me as he doesn't want to go abroad, and my parents are the same. No friends will come with me either.

Is it weird to go on a beach type holiday on your own? I know it is normal to travel alone, but I think I would feel odd going to a sunny destination on my own. I don't know what else to do considering I really need a holiday.

Scroll to see replies

If your shy about looking like a loner- could you rent a small apartment with a pool or something? I probably wouldn't go to a resort alone but I am considering hiring an apartment in the South France this summer. Driving over- apartment has Sky TV, internet, pool (shared with another 4 apartments but it will be mostly older/middle aged couples and children so it doesn't bother me) and beach nearby.
Reply 2
Original post by Airfairy
So I'm in a situation where I have literally no-one to go abroad with. I go away in this country fairly often but I really yearn to go abroad, since it's been a few years now. My boyfriend won't come with me as he doesn't want to go abroad, and my parents are the same. No friends will come with me either.

Is it weird to go on a beach type holiday on your own? I know it is normal to travel alone, but I think I would feel odd going to a sunny destination on my own. I don't know what else to do considering I really need a holiday.

I personally love the idea of going to a beach holiday on my own. Lounge around on the beach all day, tanning and reading books, wander around town and go sight-seeing at my own pace, take lots of photos... :awesome: (not that I don't love family holidays, but it's sometimes nice to be relax alone!).

I don't think it's weird, I think it could be quite a scary thing to do, travelling abroad on your own, but IMO it's worth it. If you look around on the beach, there are always lots of people on their own, so no one is going to think you're strange. And anyway, if you have a nice time, then who cares what anyone else thinks, right?

:smile:
Reply 3

Exactly my problem.
Reply 4
Original post by emilie18
I personally love the idea of going to a beach holiday on my own. Lounge around on the beach all day, tanning and reading books, wander around town and go sight-seeing at my own pace, take lots of photos... :awesome: (not that I don't love family holidays, but it's sometimes nice to be relax alone!).

I don't think it's weird, I think it could be quite a scary thing to do, travelling abroad on your own, but IMO it's worth it. If you look around on the beach, there are always lots of people on their own, so no one is going to think you're strange. And anyway, if you have a nice time, then who cares what anyone else thinks, right?

:smile:

I know, the more I think about it the more I like the idea. There are massive single supplements though, which irritates me. I've just been looking online for singles holidays but they seem to have a minimum age of 21, and I'm 20 :frown:
Reply 5
I know, the more I think about it the more I like the idea. There are massive single supplements though, which irritates me. I've just been looking online for singles holidays but they seem to have a minimum age of 21, and I'm 20 :frown:

I have the same problem!! I really want to go somewhere hot in the Easter holidays but no one seems to have money!! I'd be perfectly happy going with a few people I didn't know just to be able to go at all.
Reply 6
I can't suggest anything from experience because I'm not old enough to do all this travelling stuff yet -_-

But I know there are some companies who do kind of 'tours' around places with groups of young people. No idea about the prices though.

Or you could look up somewhere friendly-ish, or a particular student- or tourist-friendly area (loads of places in Europe would surely qualify) and take a camera and some good music (but keep 'em safe) and then check into a hostel and meet some new people! Sounds like a scary but fun way to do it :smile:
I have done it though to a friend's flat they have let me use.
Reply 8
What about doing something like trek America or Contiki? The whole idea of them is to do them by yourself and you meet lots of like-minded people :smile: that's the adventurous option anyway :tongue:
Reply 9
I don't see a problem with it at all. I've been going on holiday on my own since I was eighteen and no-one really cared.

If you are worried about beng lonely - you don't have to be. There will definitely be like-minded people around, you just have to initiate a conversation. Living in a shared room in a hostel is especially helpful.
Reply 10
I think I will end up doing a Trek America/STA sort of thing eventually, but they are a lot more expensive which is the problem. You can go away for £200 ish these days, but those group holidays add a lot on.

I was thinking about going to Ibiza because I've been there before with a friend in the past, and got to know the area well which reassures me. I know it is probably even weirder going Ibiza on my own, but I would be going to the non-clubby part which is more for families and is really nice. I liked it there. I have changed my mind a bit and would go alone, it's the just the hotel I stayed in charges the same for one or two people which is irritating. :frown:

This is exactly my problem .. All of my close friends are either busy with work or University when I'm off from University OR have no money to actually go on holiday with!

I'm looking at going on an 'adventure' holiday with a tour company - you get so much more out of the holiday like structured trips around various places and time for certain activities. This is definately my kind of thing and I wouldn't mind going on my own on that. Only issue is that it's sooo much more expensive than a standard holiday .. around £1500-1800 for a 17 day trip to Thialand! It sounds perfect but I know I can get All inclusive holidays for a fornight for £500 if that! I just think it would be a little strange going on holiday alone - alright if you meet people there and get in with a group but if you spend 2 weeks alone I think it would be strange ...

If all else fails, I think the good (and travel loney) people of TRS should get together and go on holiday :wink: aha
GO ALONE!

I'm a 19yr old girl and I'll be travelling alone to SE-Asia for 6 months, starting on the 19th of March 2013. Looking at what I just wrote, it seems soo dumb.

However, going alone gives you freedom. You can eat wherever you want, see whatever you want, and leave for the next destination whenever YOU are ready.

Check out my blog, I update twice a day and I'll be leaving in M

http://Youngontheroad.wordpress.com
I think I will end up doing a Trek America/STA sort of thing eventually, but they are a lot more expensive which is the problem. You can go away for £200 ish these days, but those group holidays add a lot on.

I was thinking about going to Ibiza because I've been there before with a friend in the past, and got to know the area well which reassures me. I know it is probably even weirder going Ibiza on my own, but I would be going to the non-clubby part which is more for families and is really nice. I liked it there. I have changed my mind a bit and would go alone, it's the just the hotel I stayed in charges the same for one or two people which is irritating. :frown:

You want a beach holiday (so I won't talk about group adventure holidays/Trek America etc).

I love travelling alone, but I agree that it is not the 'norm' to go on a beach holiday by yourself. Nobody will look at you twice, but most resort type places are full of families, groups and couples.

Going to the beach alone means you need to be more conscious about your belongings, only taking what is absolutely necessary to the beach and keeping valuables safe. Common sense really.

Going to the beach by yourself is also pure relaxation as you can do what you want, when you want, without the irritation of being forced to sunbathe/swim/go and get a drink.

To avoid single supplements, you should think about staying in a hostel. The advantage of staying in a hostel is that there are other (usually young) people around so there is usually someone around to talk to- you can go off by day to relax by yourself and then have someone to go for drinks or dinner with in the evening. Some hostels have private rooms, but generally you stay in a dorm, which means obviously there is some lack of privacy. I've never found it an issue though.

To avoid feeling out of place by being on holiday alone, choose your destination carefully. Some places will have lots of young people holidaying by themselves, others will be much more group/couple/family oriented. I'd recommend therefore going somewhere where you won't feel out of place by being alone, but also will have access to a beach.

This means that you should probably look at going somewhere in/near a major city which has beach access. Barcelona, Lisbon, Nice, Palma, Dubrovnik, Venice for example. The advantage here is also that you have other stuff to do if you don't want to go to the beach (sightseeing, museums etc.) as well as good public transport (unless you hire a car, getting around in holiday islands isn't always easy).

If you want a 'pure' beach holiday with no city distractions, but somewhere with lots of solo travellers, then my recommendation would be Tarifa. It's a small town right at the southermost point of Europe (in Spain), has beautiful beaches, a good few bars, cafes, restaurants etc, cheap hostels and above all lots of young people of whom many are travelling solo. It's a much more backpacker/watersports (especially windsurfing/kitesurfing) oriented destination-rather than a clubbing/family/honeymoon type place. Nice mix of town and resort, some great little bars and places to eat, not too expensive, a port (you can take the ferry to Morocco for a day trip), nice little castle, good horseriding on the beach, watersports (though bear in mind it can be very windy). Day trips to Gibraltar, good whale and dolphin watching. Another recommendation would be somewhere like Fethiye in Turkey, again more a town than a resort but with a laid-back feel, good range of facilities, nearby beaches etc and lots of young people who are there to relax rather than go clubbing (but enough going on at night not to be bored).

ya I am the same as u want a sun holiday but all my freinds wont go and dont want to go a lone
I am in the same position I want someone too go away with but can't get no one too go away with
Reply 16
Original post by isobella91
I have the same problem!! I really want to go somewhere hot in the Easter holidays but no one seems to have money!! I'd be perfectly happy going with a few people I didn't know just to be able to go at all.

Im a 57 year old man, ill sure go with you :smile: I don't have any sort of criminal record or anything so no need to check. Mongolia sure sounds like a nice place to go.
Reply 17
Original post by Alex Dom
Im a 57 year old man, ill sure go with you :smile: I don't have any sort of criminal record or anything so no need to check. Mongolia sure sounds like a nice place to go.

Yay im mongolian :biggrin:
mongolia is a great place to go. but you gotta visit during summer if you want to see all the wonders. mongolian nature is breathtaking and you can discover lots of interesting stuff.
i traveled to countryside for the first time last year and it was AMAZING.
i didnt know i was living in a country with such beauty, i felt like i was in heaven lol
Reply 18
Original post by Bilguun24
Yay im mongolian :biggrin:
mongolia is a great place to go. but you gotta visit during summer if you want to see all the wonders. mongolian nature is breathtaking and you can discover lots of interesting stuff.
i traveled to countryside for the first time last year and it was AMAZING.
i didnt know i was living in a country with such beauty, i felt like i was in heaven lol

Wow, i said random country. What are the chances of the person responding actually being from there >.>
I think its always better to go to a destination with a companion, especially its a good girl-/boyfriend. But I have nothing heard about strange feelings of people who travelled alone. And to be honest I personally have no strange feelings too, if I would travel abroad alone. Its just a question of attitude. Give it a try! perhaps it gets nice holidays.

Quick Reply

Latest