Universities taking ages to reply = bad sign?

Watch
TobaccoSmoke
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I sent off my UCAS mid December, and I didn't hear from any of the universities I had applied to until today, when I was rejected by two.

I had hope that the fact it was taking a long time might be a positive sign, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's actually a negative sign?

Obviously, all universities do admissions differently, but in general if a university is going to make you an offer, they will make it pretty quickly, and if they don't reply for weeks on end, that usually means you've been put on the rejection pile and are waiting for them to update UCAS?

Is that pretty much the case?
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TobaccoSmoke)
I sent off my UCAS mid December, and I didn't hear from any of the universities I had applied to until today, when I was rejected by two.

I had hope that the fact it was taking a long time might be a positive sign, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's actually a negative sign?

Obviously, all universities do admissions differently, but in general if a university is going to make you an offer, they will make it pretty quickly, and if they don't reply for weeks on end, that usually means you've been put on the rejection pile and are waiting for them to update UCAS?

some unis don't give out any offers til after the deadline. others will reject the "definitely not!" applications straight away and hold on to the "probably" pile. so no, your assumption isn't correct at all.

unis know applicants want to go to uni. they know the earlier they reply the more likely it is you can find other options. they're not evil and keeping you waiting for fun.

Sent from my GT-S5363
chicforever_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Not necessarily, I applied mid December too. I'm still waiting for one more decision and it's February! It depends on the University itself as they might give out offers within 1-2 weeks of you sending off your application or they might wait till the UCAS deadline for applications before they review it. I don't think the length of time has anything to do with whether you get an offer or not.
Sarahatkinson
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Don't worry it's just about the individual departments and universities system, I applied October 13th and am still waiting on one of my choices!! They'll make their decision in time, just try not to dwell on it (although I never stop checking my emails JUST IN CASE haha)
Edit: I've got offers from the other 4 and one didn't reply until last week, these things (unfortunately) take time haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
myusername.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm still waiting for a university to make their decision and I applied in October, so I hope it isn't a bad sign!
However, I had my first offer almost immediately after applying so it really does vary according to which university and department you're applying to.
ilyazzsyah
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi i'm an internatinal student applying to a university in the UK. I applied in mid october but i haven't gotten any replies till now. Shuould i be worried?
UoD-EHS-Buddy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Hi TobaccoSmoke,

This is not the case. Generally, the amount of time a university takes to get back to you is not representative of any offer they may make you.

Some universities give offers as soon as they receive applications, other universities do it in batches (containing all types of offers) and other universities leave it very late to make any offers so that they can consider all applications together.

I wouldn't start thinking that it is a bad sign if you haven't had an offer yet.

I hope this helps you.
mmclory1875
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I applied on the 17th of December and I have still not heard anything back and some of my friends who have applied for the same uni and same coure have had their conditionals back so is this a bad sign?
rosa melano
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not at all got rejected by my 5 universities in the first week
silver_shad0w17
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by ilyazzsyah)
Hi i'm an internatinal student applying to a university in the UK. I applied in mid october but i haven't gotten any replies till now. Shuould i be worried?
No give it some time, at times a uni may have a lot to look at and thus will take time to come to yours, that's not a bad sign....dont worry
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by silver_shad0w17)
No give it some time, at times a uni may have a lot to look at and thus will take time to come to yours, that's not a bad sign....dont worry
They posted 7 years ago...
ProbablyPallas
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Don't read into it, they tend to do rejections and people who are applying post-A levels first. Some departments are slower than others, and some universities are slower than others. I applied last year and only got replies from some universities on the deadline. They just have different procedures.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
They posted 7 years ago...
A 7 year wait is definitely a bad sign
Rishig47
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by rosa melano)
Not at all got rejected by my 5 universities in the first week
why?
huseyinZEatheist
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by PQ)
A 7 year wait is definitely a bad sign
Hahahsha
Arden University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago

TobaccoSmoke
Hello! I'm a tutor, and I've 'supervised' about 200 UCAS applications in my time. It is perfectly normal what is going on, different departments take longer than others at different universities. Access to HE students tend to get offers quite quickly as older learners are very much cherished in areas like Nursing due to the additional life experience. If you have taken the A level route it may take longer - maybe 4 - 5 weeks

If you have applied through college, if you put a UCAS buzzword in, then your tutor can monitor the situation for you

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Arden University)
TobaccoSmoke
Hello! I'm a tutor, and I've 'supervised' about 200 UCAS applications in my time. It is perfectly normal what is going on, different departments take longer than others at different universities. Access to HE students tend to get offers quite quickly as older learners are very much cherished in areas like Nursing due to the additional life experience. If you have taken the A level route it may take longer - maybe 4 - 5 weeks

If you have applied through college, if you put a UCAS buzzword in, then your tutor can monitor the situation for you

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
OP was posted 7 years ago. I doubt they're still waiting for a decision
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (142)
62.28%
I don't have everything I need (86)
37.72%

Watched Threads