The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Badminton @ Aston

Hi guys,

thought i'd take this opportunity to try and influence some of next years freshers!
I made mens captain for next year, and encourage you all to join up for badminton when you get the chance. we have some major changes planned for next year, including proper tuition from the team, far more social events (including sesh!) and a great chance to improve your fitness, co-ordination and meet a great group of people.

ill keep an eye on this thread if any of you have any questions, im especially interested if we have any county players here? want to know who will trying for the team :wink:

Scroll to see replies

Phil's back!

My racket's still unused in my wardrobe where it's been since Fresher's Week....

Actually, it did make one appearance to help hit balloons around the kitchen after Fresher's Fair.

Maybe I'll come play next year, haven't done so for at least 3 years now though :s-smilie:
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
sounds good, but I'm more into squash. now anything about squash soc?
Reply 3
squash is played in gem sports hall and of campus aswell. The training sessions ten to be quite poor as you get a large amount of people on very few courts. I personally would reccomned joining the squash ladder, which lets you play other students when you can. of course you can always try out for the team aswell!
Reply 4
cool, cheers =).
Reply 5
yeah no offence but i much prefer squash to badminton

do the squash team play at the same time as the fooball team though?
Reply 6
indeed, All B.U.S.A leagues play on wednesday afternoons, the common time that all universties leave free from lectures.

its unfortunate, but you can really only play for one team, though you are free to join as many sports societies as you like.
Reply 7
Lil Lee
Phil's back!

My racket's still unused in my wardrobe where it's been since Fresher's Week....

Actually, it did make one appearance to help hit balloons around the kitchen after Fresher's Fair.

Maybe I'll come play next year, haven't done so for at least 3 years now though :s-smilie:

You'll be fine leah! come and give that cock a bash :wink: lol
Reply 8
DJAW I'm on the squash exec at Aston n have been so for the last 2 yrs (won't be next yr coz i'm on placement). Squash is a great club n I would say that badminton is just as bad for not being able to get court time (I've seen the people around the side of the courts)

Helix also talks about all these revolutionary ideas for badminton next year - well squash has already done all of those things this yr and admittedly social side didnt take off quite as much as was hoped but with next yrs exec I'm very confident that the social side will push on.
Reply 9
nice one. I'll was already hoping to get involved anyway =)
Reply 10
hang on there crispy, no need to start a fight between us! i wasnt saying the squash club is bad i play squash quite a bit, its more a case of their are 2 courts on campus making it harder to get a club night going. my friend was in squash club this year, and her only complaint was that she never really got a game, as there were 2 many people to play properly, and instead pretty much all of it was training.

I admit that it gets fairly busy at badminton! but youll definatly get several games every night, as well as the proposed training, and i can honestly say that people have made a lot of friends!

now, this thread isnt about me selling badminton to everyone here, its a niche sport, its about informing everyone about the badminton club, so if you dont mind start up another thread about squash.
Reply 11
hang on there crispy, no need to start a fight between us! i wasnt saying the squash club is bad i play squash quite a bit, its more a case of their are 2 courts on campus making it harder to get a club night going. my friend was in squash club this year, and her only complaint was that she never really got a game, as there were 2 many people to play properly, and instead pretty much all of it was training.

I admit that it gets fairly busy at badminton! but youll definatly get several games every night, as well as the proposed training, and i can honestly say that people have made a lot of friends!

now, this thread isnt about me selling badminton to everyone here, its a niche sport, its about informing everyone about the badminton club, so if you dont mind start up another thread about squash.
Wow,
Great to hear from someone involved in Badminton at Aston, I've actually been looking into this as I want to get back into it!
I used to go to a club near me every week for 3 hours, for about 2 years but then got out of it.... I had a hell of a drop shot, and wasn't too bad in the comps back in the day, won a few 2nds - however this was when I was 13 and 14 and I haven't played much. However fingers crossed I'll get into Aston and I'll be able to get into the team - is there much contention for places?
Helix
You'll be fine leah! come and give that cock a bash :wink: lol

Oh my!

Maybe I will, I'll try and come next year
Reply 14
Oooh wat about if you want to play badminton but not join the team? Would be very interested in trying, but havent played in quite a while!
Reply 15
of course, the club is about the sport, not the team! all skill levels play!
Reply 16
i used 2 play badminton 4 my county middx and am going to coming to aston next year, am defo lukin 4wards 2 the badminton! cua next year!
Hey.
I missed signing up at the freshers fare, but I still want to join - Is this possible and how would I do it?
Thanks!
Reply 18
ive joined the expensive badminton club, but i dont want to be in the team or anything, can u just go there to play?

and i dont know anyone else whos joined, how does it all work
Reply 19
You just turn up at the alloted sessions and play, if its anything like last year.

Latest