The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

University of Leeds numeracy test.

I have been invited to a selection event at University of Leeds, I am aware that there is a numeracy (non calculator) test involved. I did get my C, but that was 3 years ago and i'm a little worried about it because im aware i will have forgotten alot of it..
Could anybody tell me what its like? what type of questions they ask, and what format it's in, written? audio? computer?
Or any sites on the internet i can do practice tests similar?
Any information about it will be appreciated!!!xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When's your selection day and what has it come up as on your timetable? Just on my selection day I have a 'diagnostic test' and I'm scared that means numeracy test... Sorry I can't help, best of luck!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
It just says numeracy text. It explains it on the letter. I can do the normal adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing etc but it's the fractions and decimals bit I'm struggling with. I just wanted to know what level the questions are xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I'm also worried about this.. but it just says diagnostic test on my timetable too. My selection day is on the 11th of February. :confused:
Reply 4
Don't worry about it. I emailed them - they said the test is GCSE level. But, it doesn't affect your application whatsoever. It's just there for in the event you got in, they know your maths level and they can help you.

Sigh of relief for me my friend! I'm on the 20th. Hopefully I'll see one of you there :3
Reply 5
Original post by bot
I'm also worried about this.. but it just says diagnostic test on my timetable too. My selection day is on the 11th of February. :confused:

Likewise!! What are you going in for? Best of luck.
Reply 6
Original post by carehow

For the Interdisciplinary Science foundation CFG0, You? Good luck to you too!
Reply 7
Sorry, I'm talking ****. The diagnostic test is GCSE level. I don't think the numeracy one is.
Reply 8
Original post by carehow

Sorry I pressed a button which I believe was negative feedback! (Thought it was reply) but I corrected that! Haha!

I'm going for Medicine thought that year. Seems as though medical applicants get diagnostic tests and nursing applicants numeracy. How odd!
Reply 9
Well I've heard that the maths test is very simple. Its like level 1/2 the sort of test that kids used to do in high school if they were struggling to get a maths gcse. I'm just crap at maths. I may have got my c. But if I'm put on the spot especially in this kind of situation my head will probably go blank! Haha and I really do hate fractions! I have been revising though. Just got to work on my long division!:') xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Jessica_Ann94
Well I've heard that the maths test is very simple. Its like level 1/2 the sort of test that kids used to do in high school if they were struggling to get a maths gcse. I'm just crap at maths. I may have got my c. But if I'm put on the spot especially in this kind of situation my head will probably go blank! Haha and I really do hate fractions! I have been revising though. Just got to work on my long division!:') xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah!
The lady I spoke to said its just for if we get on. Like to see how much help well need and not to bother revising as it won't affect the application.
That was for the 'diagnostic' test - I'm pretty sure the numeracy will be the same principle. Nothing to worry about?
It hasn't even told me what's in the diagnostic, appear entry it's gcse, yikes!
The numeracy will be fine :smile: simple arithmetic like fractions and stuff. Like, look on bbc bitesize or something. But really, I don't think it's nothing to worry about!

So when's your interview?
Y'know that role play thing - what's your role? I'm 'government member' haha!

My interview thingy is on the 20th
Reply 11
*apparently it's gcse
Reply 12
Mines 20th or feb too though on my letter it doesn't give me a role it just says group interview. Where does it tell you your role?xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Reply 14
Original post by bot
For the Interdisciplinary Science foundation CFG0, You? Good luck to you too!

I probably saw you today then, same. :tongue:
Reply 15
Ahh no mines in march :frown:
I think you got a different day to me, I have a diagnostic test and I gotta pretend to be a member of the government and have an argument about wind turbines. Hahah!

How did it go guys?! When will you know?

Out of interest... What did they give you for lunch? :wink:
Reply 16
Original post by becky1237
Ahh no mines in march :frown:
I think you got a different day to me, I have a diagnostic test and I gotta pretend to be a member of the government and have an argument about wind turbines. Hahah!

How did it go guys?! When will you know?

Out of interest... What did they give you for lunch? :wink:

I'm not going in for Medicine (I'm going in for a Science Foundation Year, although I don't think I'm going to accept if I get an offer, having a good look around Leeds and meeting the tutors I really hated it), but I had to pretend to be a turbine manufacturer arguing for wind turbines, too. We'll get our offers or rejections at the end of March! :smile: I think I did quite well (or I might have done horribly, don't want to be arrogant but that was the initial feeling I got), but the debate was like banging my head against a wall, we were in teams and some of the people in my team were... Both very headstrong and not very logical about things.

Lunch was horrible, but I didn't get what everyone else got. :tongue: They had to make my meal separate because I was vegan and I swear they found everything disgusting about a vegan diet and chucked it on a plate!

/Essay.

Good luck when you go in. :3 My boyfriend's also applied for Medicine at Leeds but he hasn't even been invited to interview yet.
Reply 17
Original post by carehow
I'm not going in for Medicine (I'm going in for a Science Foundation Year, although I don't think I'm going to accept if I get an offer, having a good look around Leeds and meeting the tutors I really hated it), but I had to pretend to be a turbine manufacturer arguing for wind turbines, too. We'll get our offers or rejections at the end of March! :smile: I think I did quite well (or I might have done horribly, don't want to be arrogant but that was the initial feeling I got), but the debate was like banging my head against a wall, we were in teams and some of the people in my team were... Both very headstrong and not very logical about things.

Lunch was horrible, but I didn't get what everyone else got. :tongue: They had to make my meal separate because I was vegan and I swear they found everything disgusting about a vegan diet and chucked it on a plate!

/Essay.

Good luck when you go in. :3 My boyfriend's also applied for Medicine at Leeds but he hasn't even been invited to interview yet.

I'm going for th foundation too! Sorry if I was unclear, I was told I had to specify medicine as there was no going back and you couldn't choose it at a later date. Basically make it super clear you're a medical applicant :3
Something about medicine having different GCSE requirements to other transfers. Bleh!

Oh god! THAT BAD?! That sounds terrible!
Well, those people won't get a place. Blind arrogance isn't an attractive trait.
What kinda dumb stuff dd they say? I fear I may get a little... Angry. Stupidity just winds me up! Haha :P it's hard knowing when to but in...
I'm concerned about the food. I'm a hungry person D: that sounds revolting.

It's absolutely awesome you did well! I hope you get a place :biggrin:
Mine isn't till the 20th. I do wonder if ill find out later. Any particular reason sone are before others or is it just totes random?

In the interview - were you asked about wok experience, the subject you want to go into ect? I asked them and got the most cryptic response ever!
For anyone attending selection events in the School of Healthcare, the numeracy test is a relatively simple test consistent with Level 2 (similar to the National Numeracy Test) designed to test your ability with numbers: fractions, percentages and arithmetic. You're given approximately 30 minutes to complete it but most people will not need that long.

It is a required pass.

I hope that helps!

(You can do practise National Numeracy Tests online wich may help. Several different ones but make sure you practise at at least Level 2 - Note: the numeracy test in your selection event is NOT a national numeracy test but of a similar level.)
Reply 19
Well I must admit after today I'm feeling a lot better and relaxed I've sorted my folder with the documents and photocopies they need and I've sat in on a maths class at college, I surprised myself with just how much I actually remember! I'm still nervous but I'm not panicking as much:') can't believe it's 1 week today! Last few weeks have flown by!xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest