The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
i am awful at French -_-

but surprisingly good at German? haha

ICT/Computing are the only remaining options that are academic

the exceptions being Art, Drama, Music etc
Original post by azg545
GCSE's are important, universities look more at GCSE grades if you want to study things medicine, law, engineering etc. And without them you can't get into 6th form or college.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because of the changes to the Law which mean the current Year Elevens have to stay in education (be it Sixth Form, College or an Apprenticeship with time spent in College) it means that so long as there are less than 30 people applying for a AS/A Level course they have to be let in.

So actually, GCSE's aren't that important for helping you get into Sixth Form anymore.

Obviously they are still important, and you should still try your best, but they are being fazed out anyway for the English Bachalorette
Reply 42
So if i am aiming to study medicine,

what GCSE grades should i roughly get?

All A*s?

Some A*, mostly As and a few B's?

what do you think the minimum would be

thanks
Original post by AntOwnsOkay

All A*s?

thanks

I would say aim for all A*s.

But 8 is a good number :smile:
Reply 44
the only subjects i can BEGIN to see myself getting an A* are

History
German
possibly Geog
Computing
RS

thats 5.

would 5 be enough?

if the others were all A for example would 5 A* be enough?
the only subjects i can BEGIN to see myself getting an A* are

History
German
possibly Geog
Computing
RS

thats 5.

would 5 be enough?

if the others were all A for example would 5 A* be enough?

Maths. Biology. Chemistry. Physics. One of the the Englishs.

Should be targets for an A*.

I can help with any maths and I an try with others...

I'm not clued up in medicine but I know Birmingham and Oxford would probably be hard to get into with 5:smile:
Reply 46
Maths k

The sciences i will try

English lit/Lang

i HATE english

i reckon a B for english

but the others i could see A*/A
Maths k

The sciences i will try

English lit/Lang

i HATE english

i reckon a B for english

To stand a chance, I recommend all As minimum.

I hate English too, but I have an A (marginally of an A*:frown:) but point is you have to deal with it and strive for the best!
Reply 48
all A's minimum?

all A's minimum?

That's what I think anyway, certainly don't aim for anything less than an A.

They're surprisingly easy to get, but not anymore :wink: they're hitting down hard.
Reply 50
true

yeah i think i am going to go for Computing

ICT sounds like utter crap

thanks.

ICT is utter crap, I can't wait till I finish this year and go to 6th form so I can finally do computing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51

All A*s?

thanks

Well you have to have at least 5 A*'s and the rest all A's for medicine. And at a-level at least 2 A's and 2 A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Maths k

The sciences i will try

English lit/Lang

i HATE english

i reckon a B for english

Triple science chemistry unit 1 is quite simple, when I did it the grade boundaries were 66% for an A*. With biology just pay alot of attention to mark schemes and physics should okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Hello

i am in Year 9, and we have to give in our GCSE choices on the 12th of Feb

I want to be a doctor when i am older so i am doing triple science, but what i have picked are@

1.History
2.German
3.Geography
4. ICT/Computing

I have a genuine dillemma here. Do i stick with the much easier ICT, or do i challenge myself with Computing.

If i do Computing, it is a huge risk and could backfire. I am new at Coding, although i have working knowledge of what happens inside the computer, i am still a newb.

they said that t=hey would teach the basics but it is still a great risk for me
:confused::confused::confused:
please could you help?

Don't worry to much for your GCSE options now, Humanities and MFL will help you stand out on their own! I would say ICT because it is A LOT easier, even though neither are relevant to a career in medicine.
Reply 54
There is no way i am going to be able to get above a C in English
Reply 55
To be honest I would go with IT. I'm doing IT at the moment and it's an easy A* in my opinion however my school doesn't offer computing so I don't really know much about that.I would like to be a doctor aswell and I think that an A* in IT would look better than a lesser grade in computing even if it's alot harder.
Reply 56
What is all this talk about minimum grades for medicine?!
You don't need a set amount of A*s or As for it at all. You'd still have a chance with 3A*s at GCSE and the rest As and Bs, maybe even Cs.
Reply 57
But i know what to do in IT. i wouldn't learn ANYTHING.

Computing could set me up with basic programming skills, and if i work hard in it, i could get a good grade.
Reply 58
Original post by BI0
What is all this talk about minimum grades for medicine?!
You don't need a set amount of A*s or As for it at all. You'd still have a chance with 3A*s at GCSE and the rest As and Bs, maybe even Cs.

really? that is such a relief

thanks so much for the clarification
Reply 59
But i know what to do in IT. i wouldn't learn ANYTHING.

Computing could set me up with basic programming skills, and if i work hard in it, i could get a good grade.

Hmm. You would learn in ICT. Some of it may not necessarily relevant to future jobs, but you will learn.
If I had the option to rethink my option of either Computing or ICT, I'd still choose ICT. I like the course and I think it's a lot smoother and to be blunt, easier.

I don't think it really makes a difference. GCSE level is still very basic education that isn't taken very heavily (unless science,maths,english) so I think that it may be better to choose ICT to secure a higher grade.

I mean, you can do computing. I've heard that it's difficult to get high grades in though.

If you end up choosing computing, you might get an A whereas if you chose ICT you may have gotten an A*. I don't think that universities would really care either subject.

Latest