Arts University Bournemouth Applicants 2013 Entry

Watch
Valdo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hello,

I don't think there has been a AU(C)B thread for a while, so I thought what the heck I'll make one so we can discuss about it. I got a conditional offer for Graphic Design (BA), conditions being over 6.0 from IELTS - which should be a piece of cake.

So, what is everyone else up to at AUB?
babsiloi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hey!
that's a good idea...I was already searching for such a thread some days ago

I might not really count in this because I don't apply for a BA but for the photography diploma course...but still, the same uni they just got back to me today to tell me that they will give me an interview-date shortly...let's wait and see...

happy to finally find someone else who is applying there, I already started to worry a bit
Valdo
Rep:
?
(Original post by babsiloi)
hey!
that's a good idea...I was already searching for such a thread some days ago

I might not really count in this because I don't apply for a BA but for the photography diploma course...but still, the same uni they just got back to me today to tell me that they will give me an interview-date shortly...let's wait and see...

happy to finally find someone else who is applying there, I already started to worry a bit
Yeah, there are awfully few topics about AUB here. Ofcourse you count ! I wish you the best of luck with your application.
scott_soph
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've applied for BA Fine Art

Posted from TSR Mobile
samjak
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey guys,

I'm a first year graphic design student at AU(C)B. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the Uni, my course or the area. I'm happy to help.

Also, grats Valdo
Valdo
Rep:
?
(Original post by samjak)
Hey guys,

I'm a first year graphic design student at AU(C)B. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the Uni, my course or the area. I'm happy to help.

Also, grats Valdo
Sweet! How are you liking the university and the city? I've only heard good things, so I am pretty stoked about the offer they gave me. The graphic design course is supposed to be very good also.

Great that we have a current student from AUB posting here.
scott_soph
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I had an interview yesterday and I think its went really well excited to find out what they made of me!! i love bournemouth and the size of the campus x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Valdo
Rep:
?
(Original post by scott_soph)
I had an interview yesterday and I think its went really well excited to find out what they made of me!! i love bournemouth and the size of the campus x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ooh nice! What course are you applying for? I've heard that it's hard to get into the actual student halls on the campus, but there's a lot of student houses near the uni. I hope you get an offer
claucsb
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi! I applied for the foundation course at AUB and I got an offer recently... I just wanted to know opinions on the foundation course / university and the reputation it has.. I'm from Spain and I don't really know anything about it! Also, how is the nightlife/the town of bournemouth? Is it more of a big urban environment or small and rural? Anything else you can tell me about it would be great... Thanks!!
babsiloi
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
question to the moderator (if ever this is read by him/her )
maybe you could move this thread to the "creative arts" section...? I think maybe more people would be interested there...?
THANKS!!!!
Valdo
Rep:
?
(Original post by babsiloi)
question to the moderator (if ever this is read by him/her )
maybe you could move this thread to the "creative arts" section...? I think maybe more people would be interested there...?
THANKS!!!!
I requested a thread move to Creative arts, but looks like the mod decided to put it in BU's section.
scott_soph
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Fine art! i really love the idea of shared housing instead halls x

Posted from TSR Mobile
C_Dewar
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey well done on getting your interview and Good Luck! I have an interview for Fine Art today but cannot log in to the portal to see details about the day. How did your day go? Did you have to get there for a certain time before your interview? x
samjak
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by claucsb)
Hi! I applied for the foundation course at AUB and I got an offer recently... I just wanted to know opinions on the foundation course / university and the reputation it has.. I'm from Spain and I don't really know anything about it! Also, how is the nightlife/the town of bournemouth? Is it more of a big urban environment or small and rural? Anything else you can tell me about it would be great... Thanks!!
Hey there,

Im a graphic design student, going into my 2nd year there. There is a big nightlife scene, and I would describe the area as being urban rather than rural. However, there are rural areas just outside Bournemouth, such as the New Forest area and Brownsea Island.

It has a big nightlife scene. Most people go to clubs in the centre of Bournemouth or around 'Winton' area, which is where the majority of the student houses are. I think AU(C)B is much more social than most arts colleges, especially since Bournemouth Uni is literally right next door.

Also, you will be very welcome as an international student. AU(C)B is kind of known for having a lot of international students, and you will be guaranteed halls of residence. In my class, theres around 10 international students from Brazil to Singapore, and they are all awesome people.

I don't know too much about the foundation course, as I didn't take it myself. However, feel free to message me about anything else.
-samjak
samjak
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Valdo)
Sweet! How are you liking the university and the city? I've only heard good things, so I am pretty stoked about the offer they gave me. The graphic design course is supposed to be very good also.

Great that we have a current student from AUB posting here.
Hey there,

Im loving the uni so far. It has a great nightlife, although the rain made this years freshers week not so fun. Bournemouth centre is awesome. It's a lovely, vibrant atmosphere and there was a giant deck chair on the beach when i first went.

The graphic design course has been great. It's been busy, but very productive and I have learnt so much. The tutors are really good at teaching us skills through the projects they set us, and teaching us new software skills. They have an open door policy, and you really can just talk to them at any time.
If you would like, pm me for more details about the course.
scott_soph
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My interview was at 2pm and i just had to be waiting at reception by then it went really well and it was a really enjoyable interview! Lovely tutors and students to chat to, i really love it there best of luck, i should find out today if i got in! Im going straight from A level without a foundation so i hope I've done well enough x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Valdo
Rep:
?
Hey there,

Im loving the uni so far. It has a great nightlife, although the rain made this years freshers week not so fun. Bournemouth centre is awesome. It's a lovely, vibrant atmosphere and there was a giant deck chair on the beach when i first went.

The graphic design course has been great. It's been busy, but very productive and I have learnt so much. The tutors are really good at teaching us skills through the projects they set us, and teaching us new software skills. They have an open door policy, and you really can just talk to them at any time.
If you would like, pm me for more details about the course.
That's great to hear! I think Bournemouth is definitely the best place for me to go to, I'm picking it over LCC which basically just lives off its excellent reputation. You make it sound like a really creative and chill place.. a huge beach is always a plus too! .

My interview was at 2pm and i just had to be waiting at reception by then it went really well and it was a really enjoyable interview! Lovely tutors and students to chat to, i really love it there best of luck, i should find out today if i got in! Im going straight from A level without a foundation so i hope I've done well enough x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Best of luck scott! I'm also going straight from A-levels (or Finnish equivalent), but I have a pretty strong background in graphic design.
claucsb
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey there,

Im a graphic design student, going into my 2nd year there. There is a big nightlife scene, and I would describe the area as being urban rather than rural. However, there are rural areas just outside Bournemouth, such as the New Forest area and Brownsea Island.

It has a big nightlife scene. Most people go to clubs in the centre of Bournemouth or around 'Winton' area, which is where the majority of the student houses are. I think AU(C)B is much more social than most arts colleges, especially since Bournemouth Uni is literally right next door.

Also, you will be very welcome as an international student. AU(C)B is kind of known for having a lot of international students, and you will be guaranteed halls of residence. In my class, theres around 10 international students from Brazil to Singapore, and they are all awesome people.

I don't know too much about the foundation course, as I didn't take it myself. However, feel free to message me about anything else.
-samjak

Thanks so much for the info !!! If you don't mind me asking a bit more nonsense: hows the girl to guy ratio? Is the beach nice? Does it get really cold? How's the weather? Is it easy to get around? Sorry for all the questions! I'll ask around for the foundation info! And good luck to everyone applying!! Anyone know if they are definitely going this year?
xx
samjak
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey,
No worries about the questions, I'm happy to answer more.

The girl/ guy ratio depends on what course you're doing. For mine (graphics) it's roughly 50:50. However, for my housemate who does Fashion, theres only about 5 guys in her year. I'm not too sure about the ratio for the foundation year, but as a whole I would say that there are more girls than guys. However, Bournemouth Uni is literally next door and I have no idea what the ratio is there, but it's a big uni. The weather this year has been exceptionally rainy, which made the first month kind of suck.

Temperature wise, Bournemouth's in one of the mildest parts of the UK. We had a little snow a while ago, but I don't think it's been nearly as cold as many other cities. I guess it'll depend on how the heating is wherever you will be living. (and accommodation is a whole different & long topic) The beach is nice! Lovely and sandy.

Transport wise, there are loads of busses running all the time from uni and around Bournemouth, which have discounted student rates. Cycling's also encouraged, and while some of the main roads are busy there are quieter roads and cycle paths around the Bournemouth as well as bike stands at the Uni. Theres also a load of taxi companies which will bombard you during freshers week, and the Bus/ Coach & train station on a direct route from the Uni to the town centre, if you want to go and visit London for the weekend.
As an international student, you may we living on campus. From here, the shops in Winton (where most students live) are ~10 mins walk away.

I'm happy to answer more questions. (I guess you guys would like to know more about the accommodation? Halls of residents are prioritised to international students, so for everyone else you'll be finding your own home and group of people to live with.)Apologies for the essay. -samjak
claucsb
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thaaaaaaanks again!! It really helps having someone who knows about it! Btw: How long/how much does it take/cost to visit London? Do you go often? Would you prefer studying in Bournemouth over studying in London? xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.28%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.56%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.57%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.33%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.56%
I think it's an unfair expectation (59)
27.31%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.39%

Watched Threads