Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi ive just worked out the value of x2 for chi squared and its 75.3. and the df is 2. ive looked on the chart however and the value row for df 2 has numbers way lower than 75.3? also cud some1 explain wot one tailed and two tailed is as i dont know which mine is
    cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    hi ive just worked out the value of x2 for chi squared and its 75.3. and the df is 2. ive looked on the chart however and the value row for df 2 has numbers way lower than 75.3? also cud some1 explain wot one tailed and two tailed is as i dont know which mine is
    cheers
    I can't remember exactly with the chi squared, but I think as long as it's over the critical value (what you looked up in the table) then there's a significant difference between the results (ie, they were not cause by chance). It doesn't matter how much over the number is.

A one-tailed test is used if you predicted that you would find a significant difference in a specific direction, for example, 'I predict that maths students are more intelligent than English students'. A two tailed test is used if you predicted that there would be a difference, but you didn't say in which direction, for example, 'I predict that there will be a significant difference between the intelligence of maths students and the intelligence of English students' (you think there will be a difference, but you're not saying who you think will be cleverer). The type of statistical test you use (one or two tailed) depends on your original prediction.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .NK)
    I can't remember exactly with the chi squared, but I think as long as it's over the critical value (what you looked up in the table) then there's a significant difference between the results (ie, they were not cause by chance). It doesn't matter how much over the number is.

A one-tailed test is used if you predicted that you would find a significant difference in a specific direction, for example, 'I predict that maths students are more intelligent than English students'. A two tailed test is used if you predicted that there would be a difference, but you didn't say in which direction, for example, 'I predict that there will be a significant difference between the intelligence of maths students and the intelligence of English students' (you think there will be a difference, but you're not saying who you think will be cleverer). The type of statistical test you use (one or two tailed) depends on your original prediction.

Hope that helps
    thanx loads ive just done the chi squared without even consideing one or two tailed. so i know mine is 1 tailed as ive mentioned the direction of the results but how does that fit in wiv my coursework. i did chi squared coz of nominal data and independant subjects :confused:

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.